Women's Outdoor Track thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Outdoor Track thread

I thought I'd start this topic to give some updates for the Lady Shocker track team - one of the most successful teams on campus every year. They will be trying to defend their back-to-back-to-back MVC Outdoor titles this spring.

They went to Tulsa with a partial squad this weekend. Only one regional qualifier but it appears most of the top athletes will open up this week in Sacramento. Great job to Erica Evans in the javelin!

TULSA, Okla. -- The Wichita State University track and field team won nine events and had three athletes meet NCAA regional qualifying marks at the Tulsa Duels on Saturday at the Hurricane Soccer and Track Stadium on the campus of the University of Tulsa.

How do you keep tabs on who is competing where?

I didn't see a lot of the names I normally see but did we really send the "B" team to Tulsa?

Thanks again for the updates! Keep 'em coming!

Comment

I talk to the coaches and am friends with some of the athletes so I get caught up. I'm kind of a track nut. I think the girls sent their field event "A" teamers, some of their young sprinters, and none of the distance runners.

Comment

Kellyn Johnson IS redshirting the outdoor season this year. I'm told this is so she will have cross country, indoor, and outdoor left next year - which is her last year. This will make it tough for the women outdoor as a team since she was the conference MVP indoor. The Shockers get some help from some throwing events and Brooke Demo (who redshirted indoors). They'll still be a good team though and it looks like they are building for a great team in the next couple years.

As for Sacramento, they took a limited squad to compete there. Mica Land and Olivia Martinez ran great in the 1500, both big pr's.

Kate Schaake had a nice meet, just missing the regional mark in the shot put.

Jenny Snyder ran a regional qualifier in the 100m hurdles and solid 200m.

The pole vaulters all did well (5 of them!). Demo jumped 12-3 in her first meet of the season. This is a very strong group.

Looks like Erika Kovesi jumped ok in the triple jump 39-0 for this early.
        Usually many of the jumpers use shorter approaches this early in the year.

Erica Evans and Moncia Adcock had solid javelin throws as well.

They will be taking a bigger group to Emporia State this week, I'm heading up there to watch, a good chance to watch the team that isn't very far away.

Comment

Emporia hosts one of the best places in the nation to throw javelin. Keep your eyes peeled for some great marks by the women and men out there. I'm predicting some big throws and 4 or 5 regional marks...

Comment

Shockers sign 3 more women to get to 8 for the season so far ...

WICHITA, Kan. - The Wichita State University track and field team inked eight more high school athletes to National Letters of Intent for the 2008-09 academic year. Five men and three women are included in the latest group of signees.

Comment

Here's what I saw at Emporia State this weekend for the WSU women:

---Many of the top athletes didn't compete like Mica Land, Jennifer Snyder, Olivia Martinez, Linda Feldberga, Erika Kovesi and others.
              ---Brooke Demo won the PV with 12', not sure if it was a short approach but I assume it was since her pr is over 13'. She will have a battle at MVC with the Indiana State girl who was all-American indoors.
              ---I think Kate Schaake hit the regional mark in the discus - 157' or so.
              ---All the throwers looked good, especially SP and Javelin.
              ---It was windy so many of the races around the oval were hindered. Not much to report on the track, however, with many people sitting out.

Next week at the KT Woodman we should see most everyone out there competing (not sure about Feldberga). Also I heard Kellyn Johnson might compete unattached (she's redshirting) in the steeplechase! Interesting! Let's cross our fingers for good weather!

Comment

It was chilly and windy yesterday at Cessna Stadium but there were still some great performances by the Shocker women.

- Brooke Demo was jumping high but missed at the regional qualifying mark of 12-7.
                - Erika Kovesi jumped almost 39' in the triple jump early when is was about 35 degrees. Impressive.
                - Kate Schaake had good SP and DT, I think her DT was a regional mark.
                - Kellyn Johnson ran 10:28 in her first ever steeplechase (unattached). Very impressive. Mica Land was a bit behind her in 10:48, a regional qualifier. Great runs in the wind. I loved how the team was clapping and cheering at the water jump.
                - 4x1 and 4x4 looked ok but not much competition. All freshman 4x4.
                - Olivia Martinez may be the next Desiraye Osburn. She sat and kicked in the 1500, the time wasn't fast but it was tough to run well in that wind.
                - Jennifer Snyder won both hurdles, and looked real good in the 100h in 13.7.
                - Very impressed with freshman Cierra King who won the 200m, a local girl.

Kansas Relays this week, hopefully the Shockers will get some good weather!

Comment

The most impressive women's performance I saw was Jen Snyder. She trailed after the first 3 hurdles and then absolutely torched the field.

Her form is outstanding. I think they said it was the fastest time in the Valley this year. I know it was WA big time but I didn't think that was that big a factor in the hurdles. I certainly could be mistaken.

The kid that ran unattached (or from St. Gregory's where ever that is) in the 100 @ 10.25 was FAST. He made fast guys look, well, not fast.

There was also a kid in the 400 that was on cruise control and ran a terrific time with NO effort.

I would gladly pay to watch Kayla Stout in the Heptathalon.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Highlights from the KU Relays ...

Cold and windy on Friday, warmer on Saturday.

-Shockers go 1-2-4 in the 5000m with Mica Land winning, Olivia Martinez 2nd and Chelsie Baldwin 3rd. Most surprising is Baldwin who hasn't done much in a while. Good for those ladies!
                    -Jenny Snyder improved her MVC leading time to 13.70 in the 100 hurdles in the invitational running against several Olympian athletes. Wind was only 0.3 so much better than last week! She beat defending Big 12 champ Ashley Brown from KU. :)
                    -The 4x mile team won for the 4th year in a row! Not much comp this year though.
                    -The 4x100 team got 5th and improved their time considerably to 47.65.
                    -Distance Medley Relay got 2nd behind Minnesota.
                    -Kate Schaake broke her own school record in the discus at 160-2. Congrats Kate!
                    -Former Shocker Chandra Andrews placed 2nd in the Hammer Throw at 194-7. Hopefully she can attain the Olympic Trials qualifying standard.
                    -Saw future Shocker Audacia Moore win the 100m in 11.88. Can't wait to see her in the Gold and Black next year!

Pretty good meet for the Shockers, they are going to Eugene, Oregon this week. Tracktown, USA. Site of this year's Olympic Trials. How cool is that!?

Comment

The Shocker women really stepped it up at the Oregon Relays, here are some of the highlights from what I saw in results and heard about ...

-A lot of good pole vaulting led by Brooke Demo's 13-1, #2 all-time at WSU.
                      -Erica Evans with a good javelin 143-2, she's by far the top javelin thrower in the MVC.
                      -Olivia Martinez 4:37 1500m, she proved herself indoors and looks like she's getting ready for another good MVC meet outdoors.
                      -Chelsie Baldwin and Jenna Wood, 17:32 and 17:40 in the 5k, put themselves in the mix for significant points at the MVC.
                      -Mica Land 10:21 in the steeplechase for 2nd. This is an awesome run and just off the WSU school record. Mica's having a great senior season outdoor!
                      -Autumn Weaver stepped up in the Shot Put at 44-3, nice throw for her.
                      -Kate Schaake wins the discus at 156ft, having a very good consistency outdoors.
                      -Jenny Snyder wins the hurdles in 13.58, she keeps getting faster every week!
                      -4x1 and 4x4 relays both run season bests.

The conference will be tough but these ladies seem to be gaining some momentum recently! Great job Shox!

Comment

Pretty low-key meet for the Shockers at Kansas State but some good performances nonetheless. They are getting ready for MVC's in two weeks. This weekend in the Sooner Twilight at Oklahoma, I'm sure only a partial group will go and compete in a few events.

At K-State:
                        -Jenny Snyder ran a nice 400 hurdles in 62.60
                        -Brooke Demo won the PV at 12-7 and Angela Welch stepped up to 12-1
                        -Erika Kovesi jumped a big season best in the triple jump of 40-9

Also, at Arkansas on Friday night Mica Land got a regional qualifier in the steeplechase at 10:27 and Olivia Martinez ran a pr of 4:34 in the 1500.

Comment

Shockers head to Southern Illinois for the MVC Championships. The Shocker women are the defending champions but will have to fight very hard to win this year. After finishing 4th indoors, the ladies are in a battle for anywhere from 1st - 5th. A lot of parity in the league this year and hopefully the Shockers will bring their A game.

The meet is Friday/Saturday/Sunday, Trackshark.com is usually a good place to find a link to live results.

Good luck ladies! Bring home another title for WSU!

Comment

Erica Evans wins by three feet in the javelin with a throw of 144'2".

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Some terrific individual performances in the first 2 days by the Shockers, Evans winning the javelin and Mica Land winning the steeplechase, also Jenny Snyder with a real fast 100h prelim of 13.51.

Overall, though, it looks like WSU is struggling and the team placing might not be great. Hopefully they will pull it together and run well in today's finals. Live updates on goshockers.com!

Comment

Working...
                              X