Lighthearted for a Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighthearted for a Change

How about a little quiz to take some of the edge off the season? I bet I can stump you!

All of these questions are based on conference play only!
    1. Which two Shockers are the most likely to grab a steal when they are on the floor?

2. There's only one Shocker who gets a block every 8 minutes or less when she's on the floor - who is it?

3. There's only one Shocker who gets an assist every 8 minutes or less when she's on the floor - who is it?

4. Of our 4s and 5s, which two are most likely to grab a defensive rebound when they are on the floor?

5. Of the remaining guards, which two are most likely to grab a defensive rebound?

6. Of our 4s and 5s, which two are most likely to grab an offensive rebound during their time?

7. Of the remaining guards, which two are most likely to grab an offensive rebound?

8. Which two Shockers are most likely to get to shoot free throws when they are on the floor?

9. Which two Shockers score most often from the free throw line when they play?

10. Which two Shockers are most likely to shoot 3s when they are on the floor?

11. Which Shocker is most likely to make a 3 in one half of play?

12. Which Shocker is the least likely to shoot but most likely to score?

13. Which Shocker has yet to foul in a game?

I'll post the answers Tuesday night or Wednesday morning.

Re: Lighthearted for a Change

All of these questions are based on conference play only!

1. Which two Shockers are the most likely to grab a steal when they are on the floor? Whitney Rice & Shantel Pointer

2. There's only one Shocker who gets a block every 8 minutes or less when she's on the floor - who is it? Alex Bunton

3. There's only one Shocker who gets an assist every 8 minutes or less when she's on the floor - who is it? Whitney Rice

4. Of our 4s and 5s, which two are most likely to grab a defensive rebound when they are on the floor? Sam Smith & Marcy Sudbeck

5. Of the remaining guards, which two are most likely to grab a defensive rebound? Kyrie Kinder & Jenn DeGarmo

6. Of our 4s and 5s, which two are most likely to grab an offensive rebound during their time? Marcy Sudbeck & Kiki Stephens

7. Of the remaining guards, which two are most likely to grab an offensive rebound? Shantel Pointer & Daria Frazier

8. Which two Shockers are most likely to get to shoot free throws when they are on the floor? Sam Smith & Shantel Pointer

9. Which two Shockers score most often from the free throw line when they play? Sam Smith & Shantel Pointer

10. Which two Shockers are most likely to shoot 3s when they are on the floor? Frannie Vathuaer & Jenn DeGarmo

11. Which Shocker is most likely to make a 3 in one half of play?
    Jenn DeGarmo

12. Which Shocker is the least likely to shoot but most likely to score?
    Alex Bunton

13. Which Shocker has yet to foul in a game? Frannie Vathauer (Nor does Frannie draw many fouls - she has not shot a free throw this year either Overall or in MVC Play).

Comment

Conclusion: Either Smith, DeGarmo and Pointer need to play more OR statistics computed on a per minutes played basis are generally skewed in favor of those playing the fewest minutes.

I suppose we still have a remote shot at staying out of the MVC Tournament play-in round especially with a two-game homestand coming up against UNI and Bradley which we should win.

After that though the schedule gets tougher with road games at Illinois State, Indiana State and Missouri State before finishing at home with Creighton and Drake.

If and when we have no shot at getting out of the Play-In round of the MVC Tournament then I hope the freshman will recieve a significant increase in playing time. It will help with their development and you can rest your upperclassmen for the MVC Tournament.

Actually, I would like to see more minutes for the Freshman right now, but I'm not sure Coach Albright sees it the same way and she has to play who she thinks gives her the best chance to win.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
        Conclusion: Either Smith, DeGarmo and Pointer need to play more OR statistics computed on a per minutes played basis are generally skewed in favor of those playing the fewest minutes.

I suppose we still have a remote shot at staying out of the MVC Tournament play-in round especially with a two-game homestand coming up against UNI and Bradley which we should win.

After that though the schedule gets tougher with road games at Illinois State, Indiana State and Missouri State before finishing at home with Creighton and Drake.

If and when we have no shot at getting out of the Play-In round of the MVC Tournament then I hope the freshman will recieve a significant increase in playing time. It will help with their development and you can rest your upperclassmen for the MVC Tournament.

Actually, I would like to see more minutes for the Freshman right now, but I'm not sure Coach Albright sees it the same way and she has to play who she thinks gives her the best chance to win.
        The other factor is that statistics don't show things like missing an assignment that left someone open for a layup or being in the wrong place on the offensive end.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

No doubt there are many things the Coaches track when breaking down game tapes that do not show up in the statistical arrays.

However, if had taken wsubballfan's test on a closed book basis I would have gotten about 50% right.

These answers are not so obvious when broken down on Per Minutes of PT basis.

Although, sometimes they are. Most Shocker fans would guess JT Durley leads the men's team in scoring at 19.3 Points per 40 MPT.

However, if Brett Burley had just managed one basket in his 4 minutes he would be scoring at a 20.0 Points per 40 MPT clip. (30 if had been able to knock down a 3 pointer). I am not proposing the Brett move into the starting lineup.

Comment

Here are a couple for wsubballfan (again MVC play only):

1. Which two Shockers have more assists than turnovers?

2. Which two Shockers are most likely to turn the ball over when they are in the game?

(Again without looking I was 50% with my closed book guess - getting one of the two for each question).

Comment

Now 72Shocker, I was trying to stay positive!!
              The answer to your questions are:
              1. Frannie and Taylor
              2. Jadhon and Whitney (6 turnovers at Evansville in 14 minutes moved her into 2nd otherwise it would have been Marcy which was a surprise to me)

But, I must tell you that the program I borrowed from a semi-pro coaching friend did break down turnovers between forced and unforced which we obviously don't have but they used to factor into an efficiency rating.

Since you've opened the can, here are some others of interest (not all of this is negative just curiousity-raising).

1. The Shocker most likely to foul is Jadhon.
              2. The Shocker non-pg guard least likely to get an offensive rebound (besides Frannie who has none) is Jen - our tallest guard.
              3. Of the three pg guards Whitney is the most likely to get an offensive rebound (bad legs and all?).
              4. The Shocker posts least likely to get an offensive rebound are Sam and Jadhon.
              5. The guards least likely to get defensive rebounds are Taylor and Shantel while Jadhon is the least likely post.
              6. Our three best free throw shooters are Whitney, Daria and Jadhon.
              7. Only two of our Shockers are shooting less than 60% from the FT line though Jen has only shot 2 missing one and actually leads the team on the season at 80%.
              8. The Shocker most likely to shoot and least likely to make it is Jacie.

And here's what the spreadsheet spit out on efficiency with what stats I could plug into it:

Our offensive production (in descending order) is coming from:
              Kiki
              Whitney
              Marcy
              Kyrie
              Sam
              Daria
              Jadhon
              Taylor
              Alex
              Frannie
              Jen
              Jacie
              Shantel

Our defensive production based on the few stats (rebounds, steals and blocks so it is skewed toward post players) I could plug in (they kept track of many more) is coming from:
              Alex
              Sam
              Marcy
              Kiki
              Kyrie
              Jadhon
              Whitney
              Jen
              Taylor
              Daria
              Jacie
              Shantel
              Frannie

Comment

Actually, I think if you re-check question #2 is Whitney & Marcy.
                Jadhon has only 2 turnovers in 45 minutes of MVC play which is 1.77 per 40 MPT. Marcy's is 4.98 per 40 MPT.

While Whitney's is the highest rate at 5.75 per 40 MPT her turnover ratio is just short of 1 to 1 and, of course, Whitney is usually the primary ballhandler when she is in the game.

Comment

You are right - I had input Jadhon with an 8 instead of a 2.

This things spits the numbers out a little differently as it shows it as a to every 7 minutes on Whitney and every 8 on Marcy which does match to your numbers now.

And, honestly, as I mentioned before, I think you and I see the game differently because it seems Whitney's turnovers have always bothered you much more than they have me. Since she speeds the game up and relies on her teammates to be ready for passes, I sometimes feel she gets the "credit" statistically but subjectively she wouldn't. And, I know you've felt for some time that our turnovers are the difference-makers. And, as you know, I'm leaning more toward a mentality, a chemistry, a teamwork type of problem.

Of course, given a choice, I'd choose for them all to average say less than one turnover every 40-50 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                  X