No announcement yet.

Shocks win 2 of last 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i will say that to imply it takes SIX years to build a high quality womens hoops program might be the dumbest thing i've ever heard.that is plain ridiculous.

Comment

trufan, I made those points in trying to take a pro-Jane perspective just to be fair. Unfortunately, I believe I also stated that I had not really been able to convince myself that Jane deserves more time. The problem is the arguments for Jane to go are based on actual performance and even public admissions from Jane that she has not done the job, while the arguments to keep Jane (that I have seen) are based primarily on blue sky hopes that something will change in the future.

I could see giving Jane more time if there was really some indication that a turnaround in the program is happening. I just don't see it. Next year may very well be more challenging than this year.

That means to Jane is in a position where she needs two outstanding back-to-back recruiting classes of immediate impact players to make a turn around happen by the end of her current contract.

The problem is recruiting for Jane will be even more difficult for her if she remains under fire and if her contract continues to rundown. You can bet programs competing for the same recruits already have copies of Bob Lutz column and Paul's interview with Jane laminated for distribution to those recruits. Bottom line is Jane will be recruiting under a cloud of uncertainty.

Unless we see a miraculous turn around in the remaining 10 or 11 games, and there is no reason to expect that at this point, then I anticipate that Jim Schaus will be able to convince Jane that it is in everyone's best interest for her to accept a reasonable buyout and resign at the end of the year. I just do not see anyway for Jim, assuming the status quo, has any other choice.

Comment

I can't help but to wonder how many recruits have passed on WSU because of this board. After reading some of these posts, why would any good player want to get involved. Some posters have even attached players in the past.

Comment

I would guess zero. If you let a bunch of dumb fans chase you away based of internet opinios you're probably a little weak anyway.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by shockedatu
            I can't help but to wonder how many recruits have passed on WSU because of this board. After reading some of these posts, why would any good player want to get involved. Some posters have even attached players in the past.
            Probably none yet since it won't have any impact on past recruits. Could it have an impact going forward. Posssibly, but no more so than Bob Lutz' article or Jane's own admisssion in the newspaper that she has done a horrible job, or the topic on ValleyTalk regarding the implosion of Shocker WBB or the fact that it is OBVIOUS that Jane's future at WSU is in question (with or without this board). No more of an impact than a recruit attending a sparsely attended home game at the Chuck.

However, if this board is a significant deterrent in recruiting then all the more reason a change has to be made.

Comment

oh, my goodness...NOW i've heard the dumbest post ever...if ANY recruits read this board and don't come, they are too dumb to be here!

Comment

Jane made this statement in the Eagle article:

Albright said she believes Schaus will give her next season, at least, to improve. Last fall, when a recruit wondered about Albright's future, she said Schaus called to address her concerns. The recruit signed with WSU.
                This implies so far her situation (and this board) has not had a great impact on recruiting. Of course, we are now a year later without any significant change in the program, so things could change.

If Jim Schaus is going to retain Jane and give her a vote of confidence then he also has to put her in a position to succeed. If he does retain her then he probably needs to extend her contract. However, he should be able to terminate this contract at a reasonable cost, if certain reasonable improvement goals are not met. (The latter does not have to be publicized).

If he does this then fan interest will remain in the dumper until and if the Shocks actually improve.

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali
                  oh, my goodness...NOW i've heard the dumbest post ever...if ANY recruits read this board and don't come, they are too dumb to be here!
                  A recruit should not make up their mind solely based on what they read on an anonymous message board. That would not be the best thing to do.

However, if a recruit becomes concerned about the longevity of the Coaching staff, whether that concern is triggerred by reading this board, the newspaper or simply putting 2 + 2 together, then that is a legitimate concern for a recruit. The stability of the coaching staff is definitely an issue of concern for recruits isn't it?

My suggestion to any recruit that has concerns about this is to discuss it with the person that actually knows what is likely to happen - that would be Jim Schaus.

Comment

I think a lot of you to Molly. What a class act.

Comment

i said the post was dumb...and i stand by it.i'm not saying YOU are dumb. that would be name calling, and that is wrong!

Comment

A recruit that would like to see a little of the world might be concerned about the closing of checkbooks. I assume the recruits most of us want would like to get an education, play ball, and have a great time doing it. Besides having a coach they like, a nice yearly trip could be a key. So if reading on a message board about the money going away is dumb.. so be it.

Comment

I would think any recruit would be interested in learning more about the program and finding out 'which way the wind is blowing'. They know the school is going to come across with nothing but positive information about the program.

But, I think, the question that comes up in every recruit's mind, is will this team go somewhere? Meaning to the top of the conference? Meaning to post season play? Meaning with a chance to play on National TV?

Will the team be a winner, or will I play on a struggling team? These recruits are competitive by nature, and the level of play does matter to them.

And, they ask themselves, can I make a difference? If so, how much?

Comment

Working...
                          X