The Future of Women's Soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

The other option is digging people up to the north and east of campus...I don't know why people are so quick to call that a bad idea.
    You are a sick man.

I suppose the University could buy out all of the homes across Hillside and build there. That wouldn't be expensive at all.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Using Styker Stadium as a reference for size, it appears the old Fairmount Towers land would be big enough for a regulation soccer field and small stadium. Not sure how much it would leave for parking and team locker room facilities, unless the university wanted to purchase some houses to clear for parking. Also would appear to be room at the Metropolitan Complex, though it would be at the cost of losing intramural fields that are there. Don't know how much those get used.
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

The other option is digging people up to the north and east of campus...I don't know why people are so quick to call that a bad idea.
        Why do you want to dig them up. Would we not be able to use them to pad our attendance figures?
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 29, 2022, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
          Using Styker Stadium as a reference for size, it appears the old Fairmount Towers land would be big enough for a regulation soccer field and small stadium. Not sure how much it would leave for parking and team locker room facilities, unless the university wanted to purchase some houses to clear for parking. Also would appear to be room at the Metropolitan Complex, though it would be at the cost of losing intramural fields that are there. Don't know how much those get used.
          Are you sure about that? I’d need to do some calculations but neither of those spaces have struck me as sufficient unless you level the Metroplex completely.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I hope they end up going with natural grass. Soccer is much better on grass than turf, though I know it requires more maintenance and care which is why it'll probably end up as turf.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Are you sure about that? I’d need to do some calculations but neither of those spaces have struck me as sufficient unless you level the Metroplex completely.
              Stryker Stadium, including the pitch and enough space around it for the stadium seating and concourse areas, is about 500' x 400'. The empty "rectangle" of space at the Fairmount Towers site (the area north of the Child Development Center) looks to be about 600' x 400'. If the daycare center were to be moved elsewhere, the entire block is 600' x 600'.
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                If WSU wants to add soccer, and it really sounds like they do,
                Not sure WSU "wants" to add soccer. Listening to and reading the comments from ADKS, it is more of the "need to" add soccer. He mentions that they are about at the limits of what they can do with roster management, to stay in compliance with total IX. If things change, and they don't "have to" add soccer, it will not be added. <- my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

Stryker Stadium, including the pitch and enough space around it for the stadium seating and concourse areas, is about 500' x 400'. The empty "rectangle" of space at the Fairmount Towers site (the area north of the Child Development Center) looks to be about 600' x 400'. If the daycare center were to be moved elsewhere, the entire block is 600' x 600'.
                  I've never been to Stryker so I can't speak to that. I know the Metroplex was sufficient for intramurals, which is/was great. I just don't feel it's sufficient enough for a complex with a lot of spectator seating unless we actually level the church part of the Metroplex.

Here is a Google Maps drawing of the respective complexes. Cessna and its surrounding areas seem to be significantly larger than the Fairmount Towers area. When I looked at the Metroplex in comparison to the current Cessna Stadium area, it would certainly require the church being torn down to match the current footprint of Cessna Stadium.

fairmountcessna.jpg
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                  X