2021 NCAA SB Super Regionals and WCWS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    Can’t believe no one is talking about the WCWS. Fouts vs Garcia today will be one for the ages.
    I obviously am not totally a softball informed person, and just picked it up a little this year.

I was watching Bama yesterday for a couple of minutes, and their pitcher was pitching consistently in the mid to high 70's. I realize that our pitchers aren't fireballers, but they were in the mid 60's, and I think that the OU pitcher was at 68. Kind of crazy and it is like a college pitcher approaching 100, I'd presume.

Comment

Fouts vs Garcia today will be one for the ages.
      +1!!

16 Ks yesterday for Montana and 11 Ks for Rachel. 830 pm on ESPN2.
      Last edited by flyingMoose; June 4, 2021, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I obviously am not totally a softball informed person, and just picked it up a little this year.

I was watching Bama yesterday for a couple of minutes, and their pitcher was pitching consistently in the mid to high 70's. I realize that our pitchers aren't fireballers, but they were in the mid 60's, and I think that the OU pitcher was at 68. Kind of crazy and it is like a college pitcher approaching 100, I'd presume.
        This article compares reaction time to a 70 mph softball versus a 90 mph baseball. Wish I knew their calculations well enough to see where the speeds cross.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

This article compares reaction time to a 70 mph softball versus a 90 mph baseball. Wish I knew their calculations well enough to see where the speeds cross.
          This article has a chart comparing softball pitch speeds to baseball pitch speeds based on equivalent reaction times. It's showing a 70 mph softball pitch has the same reaction time as a baseball pitch at 101.2 mph. Fouts is consistently at 72-73. Good luck. You have 0.36 seconds at 70 mph. A little less at 72-73. And it's not like all those pitches are straight plus.

How hard is it to hit a Fast Pitch softball compared to a baseball? This article derives the reaction time for a softball pitch and calculates the equivalent baseball pitch in miles per hour. It also discusses the advantages and disadvantages of using video vs. a radar gun to calculate speeds. - Softball vs. Baseball Pitching Speeds - Softball at BellaOnline

Comment

Comment

They will have their hands full with Alabama, at least their hitters will.
              Last edited by shoxlax; June 6, 2021, 03:30 PM.

Comment

College softball: Alabama's Montana Fouts blanks UCLA for fifth perfect game in WCWS history

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...series-history

It marked the fifth perfect game in WCWS history, and the first since Southern Miss pitcher Courtney Blades did it in 2000 in a 1-0 win over Arizona.

Comment

Oklahoma eliminated #2 overall seed UCLA 10-3 on Saturday night for another shot at James Madison today. The Sooners need to beat the Dukes (or is it the Duchesses) twice today to advance to the WCWS Championship series.

Oklahoma has forced a 2nd game with a 6-3 win over JMU but it didn't come easy. OU jumped out to a 3-0 but JMU tied it with a 3 run home run in the bottom of the 4th. In the top of the 7th with the game still tied at 3-all OU got a single, an RBI double and a 2-run homer to take a 6-3 lead. JMU got a couple of singles in the bottom of the 7th and advanced them to 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs. However, a strike out ended the game.

It will be interesting to see if Odicci Alexander will pitch the 2nd game which is schedule for 6:00 pm following the Alabama - Florida State game coming up.

Florida State has to beat Alabama twice in order to advance. Alabama is pitching Lexi Kilfoyle in the upcoming game with Montana Fouts resumablly in ready to go in a wnd game if needed.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 6, 2021, 03:04 PM.

Comment

JMU’s second starter has good numbers. Not sure how that would translate facing WCWS competition.

Comment

JMU’s second starter has good numbers. Not sure how that would translate facing WCWS competition.
                      OKC must have had a weather delay. In any case, Florida State beat Alabama 2-0 to force a 2nd and deciding game to see hwo moves into the Championship series.

James Madison is scheduled to play OU tomorrow at 3:00 pm CDT and Alabama and Florida State to follow. So Odicci Anderson should be good to go for JMU and, of course, Montana Fouts will be ready for Alabama. Winners will move on to play in the best of 3 championship series.

Comment

James Madison, with Odicci Alexander in the circle, was leading 1-0 heading into the bottom of the 4th when a triple, walk and a pair of singles gave OU a 2-1 lead.

The wheels came off for JMU in the bottom of the 5th. OU picked up a one out single but Odicci got a fly ball to left center for out #2. A single, double, hit by pitch, and another double followed scoring 4 runs and OU expanded their lead to 6-1. After hitting the next batter Odicci was pulled for a relief pitcher.

Jocelyn Alo led off the bottom of the 6th with a home run for OU to make it 7-1.

Giselle Juarez went the distance for OU. Despite OU's powerhouse offense Juarez may very well be the MVP in this regional for the Sooners. Beating Rachel Garcia and UCLA to get another shot at JMU then pitching a complete game 4-hitter today as OU advances to Championship series.

Super kudos to JMU though. What a great run they had.

Comment

Florida State got to Alabama's Montana Fouts early with a controlled-swing approach to take an 8-0 lead after two-and-a-half innings and held on to win 8-5. They used three pitchers in their win.

The Seminoles face the Sooners beginning Tuesday night with both teams coming out of their elimination bracket to reach the Championship Series.

Florida State did not win the ACC regular season or win their conference tournament. Kudos to the coaching staff to get them this far.

Comment

If you haven’t seen the response Odicci Alexander got walking to the dugout in OKC, you need to. Sorry I don’t have a link.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                              If you haven’t seen the response Odicci Alexander got walking to the dugout in OKC, you need to. Sorry I don’t have a link.
                              Yes, a standing ovation from not only the JMU fans but also from the fans in red.

Comment

It sucks we got sent to OU for the regional. We had the bats to advance far into the tournament.. watching the WCWS has been fun this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X