No announcement yet.

Shocker WBB 2019-2020 AAC Conference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Lady Shocks perhaps let a winnable game get away from them at home against Memphis but they went down to Tulane who came in tied for 2nd in the AAC at 7-4 and pulled out really nice win at Tulane 69-68.

The finish to the game was quite interesting and a bit unusual. The Shocks trailed 62-66 with 2:13 to play. Seraphine Bastion scored with 1:47 to play making it 64-66. After the two teams traded possessions on missed 3 pointers Tulane had the ball and called a timeout with 32 seconds to play. The Shocks reversed that advantage by forcing Tulaine into a 5-second call giving the Shockers the ball. With 22 seconds to play Maya Brewer banked in a long three pointer to give the Shocks the lead at 67-66. After the Shocks picked up their 4th foul of the quarter with 15 seconds to play Tulane called timeout. On the ensuing inbounds play Mariah McCully stole the ball and the Shocks called time out with 13 seconds on the clock. Tulane had only 1 foul in the quarter at that point and would need to foul 4 times to put the Shockers on the line which they did. With 7 seconds to play Seraphine went to the line and hit both free throws to put the Shocks up 69-66. Tulane did get off a 3 pointer which missed but which was tipped in. Final score Shockers 69 - Tulane 68.

The Shocks move back to .500 in AAC play at 6-6 with 4 to go.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 16, 2020, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Maria McCully led the Shockers in scoring again against Tulane with 19 points but she was much more efficient than she has been recently as she was 8-17 from the field including 3-10 on treys. She was 0-2 from the line. Perhaps Mariah's most impressive stat was her 7 steals including the huge steal on the Tulane inbounds play with 15 seconds remaining in the game.

Comment

The Shock pulled away from last place Tulsa in the 4th quarter for a 70-61 road win, their 3rd consecutive win on the road in AAC play. Now if they can figure out how to win one on the road. The Shocks pull back to .500 in AAC play but will have to play very well to win one of the next two at home vs Cincinnati and on the road against UCF, two of the top teams in the AAC after UConn.

Guards Serephine Bastin and Ashley Reid each played 33 minutes with Serephine recording a 12 point, 15 rebound double-double and a team leading 4 assists and Ashley scored 13 points on 5-7 from the field including 3-4 from 3-point range. Freshman DJ McCarty also played very well scoring 12 points on 5-5 from the field and 1-1 on threes plus 2 steals in only 18 minutes of play. DJ looks like she may be back to her pre-ankle injury form and IMHO the Shockers are better when she is on the floor. The Shocks were helped greatly by Tulsa's 14-29 shooting from the free throw line.

Shyia Smith hit her head on the floor late in the game and had to leave the game. Shocks may very well be dealing with another concussion injury.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 23, 2020, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Shocks fall to Cincinnati at home 75-54. Not surprising to lose to the 2nd place Bearcats who have some pretty solid, experienced players. The game was closer than the final score indicates for the most part with Cincy pulling away late. HCKA did manage to get herself ejected with two technicals with about a minute remaining in the game. Can't say that I blame her with the way the ref crew was screwing around with a needless review. As is pretty normal 1 of the 3 refs int he crew was pretty bad. But the refs didn't determine the outcome. Cincy simply had superior talent and probably are better coached plus the Shocks were without Shyia Smith who is under concussion protocol.

The Shocks face UCF, who is tied for 2nd with Cincy, in Orlando on Monday to close out the regulars season. The Shocks need to pull off an upset in that one to finish at 0.500 om AAC play.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            HCKA did manage to get herself ejected with two technicals with about a minute remaining in the game. Can't say that I blame her with the way the ref crew was screwing around with a needless review. As is pretty normal 1 of the 3 refs int he crew was pretty bad. But the refs didn't determine the outcome.
            It was too funny! She did not get the technicals for chewing on the refs, but for wandering out of the coaches box to talk to the Cincy coach. As soon as she got the first technical, she walked part of the way back to the Shocker bench and then wandered back to talk to the Bearkat coach again, earning her second technical and ejection.

Comment

Shocks get blasted tonight at UCF 95-50 to close the regular season with their worst loss of the season. Trajata Colbert and DJ McCarty had decent games on offense combining for 28 points but no one else could get much going.

Shocks finish ACC play at 7-9.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Shocks get blasted tonight at UCF 95-50 to close the regular season with their worst loss of the season. Trajata Colbert and DJ McCarty had decent games on offense combining for 28 points but no one else could get much going.

Shocks finish ACC play at 7-9.
                Yikes!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

The Shocks finish the season in a 3-way tie for 6th place with Temple and SMU. The Shocks are the #7 seed in the AAC Tournament and will play #10 seed Houston at 5:00 pm CT on Friday in the 1st round.

The Shocks only played Houston one time this season losing on the road in overtime 56-64. Houston comes into the tournament on a 7 game losing streak including a 64-71 loss at last place Tulsa to close out the regular season.

The Shocks who were picked to finish 9th in the preseason coaches' poll did a little better than expected although I don't think the AAC was real strong this year outside of UConn. In fact, even with UConn the AAC is ranked a notch behind the Valley this year in Conference RPI at 9th vs 8th for the Valley.

The Shocks have yet to win an AAC Tournament game. I think this game could go either way. The Shocks will need to play better than they did in their final 2 games. A 21 point Senior Day loss to Cincinnati and a 45 point road loss to UCF in which they only averaged 52 points.

The WSU-Houston winner gets UCF on Saturday.

AAC Tournament Bracket
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 4, 2020, 03:05 PM.

Comment

So it would appear the Shockers (15-14 overall) are guaranteed to finish with no worse than a 0..500 record overall which would be the best of HCKA's 3 seasons. A win over Houston would lock in at least a 1-game over .500 finish to the season. The Shocks have dealt with quite a few injuries this year. Next year is the year we really need to start seeing better results.

I am assuming Jaida Hampton, whose injuries or health limited her to 8 games this year, will get a medical redshirt and will be back as a sophomore next year. That actually helps balance out the classes just a little bit.

I am not sure what freshman post Ashlei Kirven's situation is. She has not played in the last 8 games. Injury I assume.

The 3 incoming freshman look like they may be decent players but only time will tell for sure on that.

Next year, absent any transfers, the Shocks will have 3 seniors, 5 juniors, 4 sophomores and 3 freshmen. Most likely only 1 of the 3 seniors will play a key role, that being Mariah McCully. I don't think Diamond Forrest or Vendela Danielsson will play a lot based on what I saw of them this year nor do I expect much form sophomore to be Natalia Ryng. But next two years the Shocks need to start making their move.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 5, 2020, 02:16 PM.

Comment

The Lady Shocks with a great start against Houston in AAC tournament play leading 22-7 at the end of the 1st quarter. Good balanced scoring so far.

Shocks extend the lead to 19 at the half 39-20. One of their better halves of the year.

Really nice balance. 2 players with 7, 2 with 6, 2 with 4. A total of 8 players scored of the 9 who played. Only Sepephine did not score as she only played 9 minutes after picking up 2 fouls. The Shocks also still without Shyia Smith.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 6, 2020, 05:49 PM.

Comment

The Shocks are hanging with UCF so far but they are having to work much harder than UCF to find good shots. Just seems like a matter of time before UCF pulls away but we will see.

Shocks trail 11-9 at the end of the 1st quarter.

Shocks can only muster 5 points (all by Carla Bremaud) in the 2nd quarter and trail 28-14 at the half.

The Shocks only have 5 baskets in the 1st half on 22 attempts. They have as many turnovers, 14, as points.

UCF 49 - WSU 27 at the end of 3 quarters. I would expect UCF to try to rest their starters for a good part of the 4th quarter.

Central Florida did go to their bench in the 4th quarter but made little difference.

Final Score: UCF 65 - WSU 32

Tells you how far way the Shocks are from being a player at the top of the AAC and it is quite a distance. Clearly the Shocks do not match up well at all with UCF losing two games by a combined 78 points.

The Shockers did manage to score more points than they had turnovers 32 to 27.

You simply are not going to win any games scoring 32 points.

I think the one positive from the AAC Tournament was the play of Trajata Colbert. I still think it was a mistake not to redshirt Trajata last year but it is what it is.

Carla was 5-6 from 3 point range in the 2 games which was good to see as well.

Shyia Smith was unavailable again tonight due to her late season concussion.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 7, 2020, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Parity in women's basketball may be getting a little better but not by much especially if you look at the AAC Tournament results.

The top 4 seeds have all advanced to the semi-finals and all by pretty comfortable margins of victory.

#1 seed UConn knocked of Temple 94-61
                          #2 seed UCF squeezed the life out of Wichita State 65-32
                          #3 seed Cincinnati blasted Memphis 94-52
                          #4 seed USF beat 64-50

Comment

I assume everything is good with the WBB team? No transfers correct?

Comment

Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
                              I assume everything is good with the WBB team? No transfers correct?
                              None that I know off.

Comment

Working...
                              X