Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shockerfanmas
    commented on 's reply
    Apparently Mizzou is eligible as they've appealed and won, from what I've heard

• shockerfanmas
    commented on 's reply
    Ryleigh will be back as well?? I thought she was a senior

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    RH: AAC preview with softball pitching coach Ryne Stefankiewicz

Wichita State softball pitching coach Ryne Stefankiewicz discusses the Shocker mood entering the conference tournament, Erin McDonald’s rise and Caitlin Bingham’s roller-coaster season.

Podcast

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    commented on 's reply
    Well deserve recognition. Congratulations Ladies.

All of these Shockers except Laurie Derrico will be back next year.

• flyingMoose
    replied
    The Conference Softball Award Winners have been announced.

Shockers on the First Team are

C - Madison Perrigan
    1B - Ryleigh Buck
    SS - Laurie Derrico
    3B - Sydney McKinney (also on the All-Rookie Team)

Second Team

P - Erin McDonald

To no one's surprise, Georgina Corrick of USF is the Pitcher of the Year. The Players of the Year, both seniors, are Sarah Barker of Houston and Julia Hollingsworth of Tulsa.

Leave a comment:

• flyingMoose
    replied
    In the latest Coaches Poll, Tulsa is #25 and USF is RV. In the ESPN Poll, both teams are RV.

Leave a comment:

• flyingMoose
    commented on 's reply
    I would point out that Houston with an RPI of 39 is also ahead of the Shockers.

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Shockers Face UCF to Open Quest for Conference Championship

SCOUTING UCF
    UCF is coming into the American Athletic Conference tournament having swept its last conference series at Memphis to cap off the regular season. The Knights have only allowed four runs in the last three games, with pitching being the story to the success of winning 34 games this season. Alea White is UCF's ace, having a 23-13 record with a 1.59 earned run average. She has led the team in strikeouts with 170, with Breann Vasquez adding quality depth to the pitching staff by adding 115 strikeouts with a 1.72 ERA. On offense, the Knights have seven players hitting .282 or better. Cassady Brewer leads the charge with 46 hits and 16 doubles with a .341 batting average. Tamesha Glover and Karissa Ornelas are also weapons on offense, having combined for 65 hits and 31 RBIs.

I would take into account that Memphis finished last in the AAC at 3-17. 2 of Memphis' AAC wins were against ECU who finished a half game ahead of Memphis at 4-17. There other win was over 6th place UConn. Memphis went 0-14 against the top 5 teams in the conference. USF swept Memphis by a total of 13-4 this past weekend. 4 weeks ago the Shocks swept Memphis by a combined 33-10. So I am not sure UCF's sweep of Memphis is particular;ly noteworthy.

That said UCF does have very good pitching with Jr. Alea White and Fr. Breanna Vasquez. So as has often been the case this year it appears to be the Shocks strong hitting vs UCF's strong pitching. However, the Shockers may be pitching about as good as they have this season lately. Erin McDonald has an ERA of 1.25 in her last 8 appearances covering 36.1 innings. Caitlin Bingham as an ERA of 3.56 over her last 8 starts (excluding the OU game). While not world beating that's a huge improvement over the basket case Caitlin had become prior to that. The key for Caitlin is can she command the strike zone.

The Shocker defense has been very good this year which is important because neither Erin or Caitlin are big strikeout pitchers.

The Shockers eeked out a series win against UCF this season by scores of 2-3, 6-3 and 2-1. No reason to think this game won't be another tightly contested battle.

Leave a comment:

• flyingMoose
    replied
    Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    I think the Shocks are operating under the assumption that their only route to the NCAA is to win the AAC Tournament.
    That is the assumption I would be operating under.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by shocker#25fan View Post
    Question.... With our RPI now at 62 is there a chance for an at large bid? Mizzou isn't eligible and Baylor is below .500 on the year which opens up a couple spots...
    Not sure what 2 wins in the tournament would do to our RPI. UCF has an RPI of 51 and USF, the likely semi-final opponent if the Shocks beat UCF, has an RPI of 31. Getting 2 wins in the AAC Tournament will not be an easy task.

There are 32 automatic bids which would leave 32 at-large bids. Assuming the top RPI team in each league gets the auto-bid (in other words no upsets) there are 39 other teams that currently have better RPI's than the Shocks. Could they pass 7 of those teams in RPI plus any stolen bids if they go 2-1 in the AAC Tournament. I suppose that is possible but not sure that it is very likely.

I think the Shocks are operating under the assumption that their only route to the NCAA is to win the AAC Tournament.

Leave a comment:

• shocker#25fan
    replied
    Question.... With our RPI now at 62 is there a chance for an at large bid? Mizzou isn't eligible and Baylor is below .500 on the year which opens up a couple spots...

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Very nice Wichita Eagle article on Laurie Derrico. Laurie's time at Wichita State will continue next year as she will be the softball Director of Operations next year while she pursue's her Master's Degree. Lauri would like eventually to be a coach.

Leave a comment:

• flyingMoose
    replied
    RH article about Erin and the support/encouragement she gets from Bailey

Leave a comment:

• flyingMoose
    commented on 's reply
    Good question. Was this weekend a test of how they will approach the conference tournament - five innings out of Caitlin on the first day with Erin in relief, and then give the ball to Erin the next two days with Caitlin in relief?

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    flyingMoose how do think the Shocks will handle their pitching. Since you will only play 1 game per day and a total of 3 games at most do you think the Shocks will try to ride Erin as far as they can? Or might they consider going with Caitlyn against UCF?

Caitlyn did not pitch at all against UCF while Erin pitched 17.2 innings in the 3 games series against UCF allowing only 4 runs. Do you go with Caitlyn who UCF has not seen this year or do you go with Erin who proved she could get UCF out?

The Shocks scored 10 runs in the 3 UCF games which is about 2 runs below their AAC scoring average.

With Catilyn pitching better lately I would be tempted to go with her but would necessarily have a short leash.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X