Shocker SB v East Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB v East Carolina

The Shockers continue their conference schedule with three games against ECU. Because of Easter, these games begin on Thursday. Game times are Thursday at 6pm, Friday at 3pm, and Saturday at 11am.

The Pirates are 21-23, 2-10. One of their wins is against second-place Tulsa (1-0 in eight innings) with the other coming against Memphis. They were swept by UCF and USF.

Using conference games only (and having the resulting small sample issues), the offense for ECU is led by Ashley Weingartz (OPS of .819). Other offensive leaders are Rachel McCollum and Logan Wood.

The Pirates have used two pitchers during conference play with Erin Poepping getting about 80% of the innings. Her ERA is 5.68 with a WHIP of 1.58. The numbers for Whitney Sanford are 8.47 and 2.41.

The Shockers are now 26-19, 7-5. Ryleigh (1.282 and three homers), Butters (1.241 and three homers), and Sydney (.964) lead the offense.

Erin (3.65 and 1.38) is the primary starter for the Shocks. Caitlin (7.71 and 2.23) still has horrible numbers, but her outings have improved in the last two weeks or so. Hailey (4.11 and 1.19) does a nice job getting through a lineup once in her relief role.

The Shockers have an RPI of 78 while ECU is at 119. Tulsa and USF are at 23 and 24 and seemed destined for post-season play. Tulsa is RV in the coaches poll, while both teams are RV in the ESPN poll.

Game delayed until 7:00 pm due to weather effects.

Comment

Game One

The two Erins are in the circle, McDonald for the Shocks and Poepping for the Pirates. Adi continues in right field in place of Asea, and Neleigh is the DP.

In the first, a hit batter, a walk, and another hit batter load the bases for ECU before a nice stop by Kaylee to her right leads to a force at second and no runs for the Pirates. All three batters ground out to short in the Shocker half. Poepping definitely appears to rely on her drop.

With two outs in the Shocker second, Neleigh walks, Kaylee singles and Adi drives in the run with a single back up the middle. 1-0 after two.

In the third, ECU doubles with one out and walks with two outs before Bailee in left makes a running knee-high to end the inning.

Sydney leads off the third for the Shocks with a single, advances to second on a ground out and to third on a single by Butters who steals second. Laurie bounces one over the pitcher's head and into center field to score Sydney and advance Butters to third. After Laurie steals the same base, Bailee unloads on a waist-high, down-the-middle pitch for a three-run homer. (All five of the other hits were ground balls that found their way through the infield.) Whitney Sanford comes on in relief with the Shockers holding a 5-0 lead and gets two more outs. 5-0 after three.

After two outs in their fourth, the Pirates load the bases with a walk and two singles, but Erin gets a ground out to end the inning.

After two outs in the Shockers' fourth, Sydney walks, steals second and comes home on a two-run blast to right by Ryleigh. Butters, Laurie,and Bailee follow with walks to load the bases before Neleigh grounds out to end the inning. Shockers, 7-0 after four.

In the fifth, ECU leads off with a single and a walk, but after two fly outs, Laurie ends the inning by getting the out on ball in the hole to her right.

Liv Garman, who has pitched all of 3.2 innings this season, is in the circle for the Pirates to start the bottom of the fifth. Walks to Adi, pinch-hitter Lauren and a high chopper in front of the plate that Sydney beats out for a single load the bases with one out for the Shocks, but neither Ryleigh nor Butters can get the game-ending run home.

Three-up, three-down for ECU give the Shockers another chance in the bottom of the sixth. Laurie singles to lead off, steals second (or advances on a passed ball - take your pick) and scores on Bailee's hit up the middle. Shockers win, 8-0.

ECU 0-8(6) Shockers

Erin gets the shutout win, giving up four hits, three walks and two hit batters. She had three strikeouts.

Bailee drove in four runs with her game-ending single and a three-run homer. Ryleigh had a two-run shot, and Laurie and Sydney each had two singles. The Shocks had seven walks to go with their ten hits.
      Last edited by flyingMoose; April 19, 2019, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        I've seen Erin sharper but she managed to get the outs when she needed them with some help from her defense on a couple of occasions as she stranded all 9 Pirates that reached base.

I assume Caitlyn will get the start tomorrow. Hopefully, she can continue her upward trend of the past couple of outings.

Game Two

Caitlin for the Shockers and Poepping again for ECU.

I am headed out to see this one.

Comment

Got a pitcher's duel going on today. Shocks get a break in the bottom of the 2nd. With 2-outs and Bailee Nickerson on 1st via a lead off single to right Adi Reese skied to straight away center but the ECU center fielder lost the ball in the sun at the last second and was unable to make the catch and Bailee scored all the way from 1st. Shocks lead 1-0 after 4 innings. Both Caitlin and ECU's Poepping are doing a good job in the circle.

Shocks lose Kaylee Huecker in the top of the 5th on a collision with a base runner while fielding a bouncer to 2nd. The runner was ruled out for interference but Kaylee injured her left hand in the process and had to leave the game. How serious she is hurt is hard to say. Mauriana Jamele replaces Kaylee in the lineup.

The Shocks scored a run in the bottom of the 5th although I missed it and Kaylee's mom must have been running the live stats because they stopped after the top of the 5th. Shocks lead 2-0 with the top of the ECU order due up in the 6th. (The live stats have now be updated -- a 1-out single by Adi Reese and a 2-out double

Caitlin gives up a single and a walk to open the 6th. Really poor pitch selection by Ryne on the 3-2 pitch on the 2nd batter. Caitlin goes 2-0 on the next batter and she is done. Erin McDonald on in relief. Caitlin was very good for 5 innings. Hopefully, Erin is sharper today than she was yesterday. Tough situation to come in to. Erin took the count to 3-2 and got a big foul pop to first baseman Ryleigh Buck. But then Erin gives up a 3-run home run and ECU jumps into the lead 3-2. Erin then walks the next batter on 4 pitches. Affter falling behind the next batter HCKB makes a trip to the mound and looked pretty animated with her message and Erin got the next two batters to get out of the inning. But the damage is done and the Shocks have 2 at bats to do something about it.

Butters walks and Laurie reaches on an infield single but Bailee was horrible if failing to get down the sac bunt. She bounces back to the pitcher who gets the force at 3rd. Neleigh Herring then hits into a 1-6 double play as the Shocks blow a golden opportunity. Probably something they will regret.

Erin walks the 9-hole hitter and Mauriana whiffs on a routine grounder the rolled between her legs. Erin manages to extricate herself without any runs scoring.

7-8-9 hole hitters due for the Shocks in the bottom of the 7th. I expect we will see some pinch hitters.

Yep, Lauren Mills pinch hitting for Mauriana. Lauren walks. Kasidee Eck on to run for Lauren. Adi Reese has to get the sac bunt down and does. Shocks have two shots at tying this up. Bethany Canada pinch hitting for Wylie Glover. Bethany makes good contact but had a little to much air under the ball hit to right center and the right fielder was able to run it down for out number 2. Sidney strikes out looking a a full count to end the game,

ECU and especially Poepping deserved to win this game. I was not impressed with the Shocks approach at the plate today. For the most part never really adjusted to the way they were being pitch as Poepping stayed on the outer edge of the plate for the most part and stayed there the whole game. The Shocks gave her little reason to change that approach.

I expect the Shocks will see Poepping again tomorrow and I expect her to pitch them the same way until they give her a reason to change.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 19, 2019, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Adi Reese skied to straight away center but the ECU center fielder lost the ball in the sun at the last second and was unable to make the catch and Bailee scored all the way from 1st.
          Incredibly, this was scored as an error. As noted, the ball was lost in the sun and should have been scored as a double. Another example of the clueless scorekeeping that is seen from time to time.

The Shocks scored a run in the bottom of the 5th although I missed it and Kaylee's mom must have been running the live stats because they stopped after the top of the 5th. Shocks lead 2-0 with the top of the ECU order due up in the 6th. (The live stats have now be updated -- a 1-out single by Adi Reese and a 2-out double.
          With two outs and the lack of hitting by the Shocks, it made good sense to send Adi home, but she should have been out by 12'. However, the catcher could not handle the throw just off the ground, and it trickled away from her.

Caitlin gives up a single and a walk to open the 6th. Really poor pitch selection by Ryne on the 3-2 pitch on the 2nd batter.
          I said to my bleacher-mate, "Are we going to get a 3-2 change here?" Of course, we are. Ryne can fall in love with the change, often calling consecutive changes.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I was a bit befuddled by the error scoring on that fly ball to center.

Game Three

After being run over by the ECU runner yesterday, Kaylee is not in the lineup, causing a number of adjustments: Sydney moves to second, Ryleigh moves to third, Neleigh is at first and Lauren is the DP.

Hailey is in the circle for the Shockers, but the ECU lineup is not yet posted.

I am off to watch this one, too.
          Last edited by flyingMoose; April 20, 2019, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I'll let flyingMoose recap this one from his in person observations.

I was just able to check in on the score and the Shocks lead 11-5 heading to the bottom of the 6th.

Hailey Martinez started for the Shocks. As anticipated Erin Poepping started for ECU.

Rough start for Hailey as she gave up 4 runs in the top of the 1st including 2 on back-to-back errors by Laurie Derrico at short.

I criticized the Shocks for their approach at the plate and failure to adjust but apparently they have figured some things out.

Caitlin Bingham came on in relief of Hailey and has pitched 5 innings allowing only 1 run but she has walked 7 including 3 in a row with 2 outs in the 6th before getting a ground out.

Catilin finishes the off the 11-5 Shocker win with a 1-2-3 7th inning.

I guess you would have to call this an odd game for the Shocks. They scored all their runs in the 1st, 3rd and 5th innings.

Bailee Nickerson picked as player of the game.

Steve Strain reporting that Kaylee Huecker is out for the season as the Shocks are now down 3 starters including their #1 pitcher.

Still kind irritated with the loss in Game 2.

Shocks host #1 ranked Oklahoma on Wednesday at 6:00 pm. That game is sold out but will be on Yurview.com

Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 20, 2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I'll let flyingMoose recap this one from his in person observations.
              There was some sloppy defense in the first beyond Laurie's two errors. Neleigh showed her inexperience as a first baseman. On one of the hits to the outfield, she was the cutoff and allowed the throw to tick off the top of her glove, a not-given error that allowed a ECU runner to advance a base. Then when she got the waist-high bouncer hit to her with the runner at third, she fumbled it, got control of it, stepped on first for the out and looked to second to see if she had a chance on the runner advancing from first to second. She never looked at the runner coming home from third. She had time to look at her and hold her at third initially, and I think she still had a play at the plate after the out at first. Neleigh has a few games at first this season, but she does not have a lot of seasons at first.

The ground out to short in the Pirate third (runners at second and third with no outs) was a very nice diving, backhand stop by Laurie who got the out at first with the runner on third holding. A ground out and strikeout followed, cutting off a potential big inning for ECU.

Bailee cranked a change in the middle of the plate over the scoreboard to cap the scoring for the Shocks. Ryleigh's homer in the first was also well struck and very timely - the Shockers had just had a rough top of the first and a meeting in the outfield.

Wylie grounding out to the catcher unassisted in the sixth was her running into her own batted ball after she was out of the batter's box. I have seen that scoring before and wondered what the play actually was. It always seemed very unlikely that the catcher picked up a batted ball and tagged the batter. Stepping out of the box while making contact with the ball is the other likely occurrence.

Ryleigh did a nice job at third, diving to catch an attempted sac bunt on one occasion.

Seven walks for Caitlin. I was hoping it was only four.

Someone who seemed to know said Kaylee had a clean break of her ulna. She was in shorts and a cast today. Bailey in a boot. Asea with a brace on her knee. So it goes.

Poepping hit her spots almost without fail last night. Not today.
              Last edited by flyingMoose; April 20, 2019, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                Watching the replay. Suprised you didn't comment on Caitlin's start to the 3rd inning. 10 consecutive balls out of the strike zone. None really close. Great play by Laurie certainly helped and credit to Caitlin for righting things and escaping with only the 1 run scoring.

• flyingMoose
                flyingMoose commented
                Editing a comment
                I was watching from a spot where I got engaged in conversation with one of the player's dads (I eventually learned). I tried to take notes, but I probably forgot other things worth mentioning. This was probably the spot in the game when I looked to see if Erin was warming up. I don't think she ever did.

I should have mentioned that Ryne called an 0-2 change-up, the classic count to call it. We were all in shock. Got a strikeout, too.

Another Also Mention: Sydney did a good job at second with one nice backhand stop in particular.
                Last edited by flyingMoose; April 20, 2019, 09:15 PM.

Other AAC Weekend Series

USF 3-0 UConn

UCF 0-3 Tulsa

Houston 2-0 Memphis (one game cancelled)

Standings

13-2 USF
              12-3 Tulsa
              9-6 Shockers
              8-6 Houston
              7-8 UCF
              4-11 UConn
              3-11 Memphis
              3-12 ECU

The Shockers close the conference season at Tulsa and v USF. Challenges lie ahead.

Comment

Sully's RH article about Sydney

Comment

Ryleigh's 1st inning home run in Game 3 to put the Shocks on the board:

Freshman Adi Reese ties the game at 4-4 with a 1st inning RBI double

Laurie Derrico's 3rd inning defensive gem makes up for her stumbles on the 1st inning:

Freshman Sidney McKinney matches Adi's oppo RBI double. Sidney's 3rd RBI of the game:

Bailey Nickerson with the over-the-scoreboard no doubter coup de grĂ¢ce:

Comment

Nickerson Nabs Honor Roll Spot for Second Time

For the second time this season Wichita State sophomore Bailee Nickerson has earned a spot on the American Athletic Conference Weekly Honor Roll.

Nickerson helped the Shockers clinch their third conference series of the season with two wins over ECU.

The Paris, Texas, native hit .500 (5-for-10) for the weekend with a pair of home runs, seven RBI and four runs scored. Nickerson belted a three-run home run in Thursday's series opener and finished with a season-high four RBI on the night. In Saturday's finale, her two-run bomb blew the game open to help Wichita State erase a four-run deficit and finish with an 11-5 victory.

Nickerson's spot on the honor roll marks the ninth week a Shocker has earned a weekly award this season.

For the second time this season Wichita State sophomore Bailee Nickerson has earned a spot on the American Athletic Conference Weekly Honor Roll.

Comment

Working...
                    X