Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocker Softball vs Oklahoma State (Schedule Change)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Softball vs Oklahoma State (Schedule Change)

Due to projected cold temperatures in Wichita on Wednesday, Wichita State and Oklahoma State have agreed to switch locations for its season series.

The Shockers will travel to Stillwater, Okla., on Wednesday and the Cowgirls will make the trip to Wichita on March 27. First pitch for Wednesday will be at 5 p.m.

The Shockers and Cowgirls play the first game of their annual home-and-home on Wednesday at 5pm in Stillwater as noted above.

Oklahoma State has a record of 14-5 and is ranked #19 in the Coaches Poll with the ESPN Poll not yet released for this week although they should be in the same neighborhood. Their record is 7-3 against teams who were at least RV at the time of the games.

The Cowgirl offense is led by Madi Sue Montgomery (OPS of 1.258 and four homers), Samantha Show (1.214 and six homers) and Kiley Naomi (1.085 and five homers). The two primary pitchers are Show (ERA of 2.10 and WHIP of 1.02) and Logan Simunek (2.55 and 1.21). All of these names except the freshman Naomi are familiar to the Shockers from last year when the two teams met four times (home-and-home and twice at the Fayetteville Regional), all wins by the Shocks.

Caitlin is leading the Shockers in the circle with numbers of 1.38 and 1.10, much improved marks from last year. Erin, the transfer from La Tech, has assumed the #2 role with numbers of 2.10 and 0.94. Leading hitters are Butters (1.167 and three homers), Lauren (1.141), Laurie (1.031 and three homers) and Asea (1.009).

The record for the Shocks is 14-4, but their schedule is notably weaker than the one the Cowgirls have played. This game will be an early indication of where the Shockers are.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 5, 2019, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Shockers Eye Fifth Straight Win over Oklahoma State

Not wild about the headline. I suspect that will make it to the Cowgirls' bulletin board.

SCOUTING OKLAHOMA STATE
      Oklahoma State has jumped to No. 19 in the nation and has played one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the country. The Cowgirls have played 10 of its first 18 games against opponents ranked or receiving votes in the top-25 poll, coming up with seven victories. Madi Montgomery leads Oklahoma State's offensive firepower, hitting .377 and in the top 10 in the Big 12 in batting average. Samantha Show has been lights out in the circle, racking up 38 strikeouts while holding an ERA of 2.10.

Comment

• flyingMoose
        flyingMoose commented
        Editing a comment
        One should note that these two teams played a game during Fall Ball, a game played with a level of intensity not normally associated with Fall Ball and a win for the Cowgirls. They did not forget the 2018 results last fall, and they won't have forgotten them this spring.

The Shocker lineup is:

lf Wylie
      ss Laurie
      c Butters
      rf Bailee
      cf Asea
      1b Ryleigh
      dp Neleigh
      2b Kaylee
      3b Sydney
      p Caitlin

Samantha Clakley is the starter for the Cowgirls. Her numbers are an ERA of 2.58 and WHIP of 1.66 with six appearances and three starts.

Comment

The Shockers threaten in the first on Laurie's single, advancing to second somehow (a throw behind her at first?) and moving to third on a ground out. Walks to Bailee and Asea loaded the bases with two outs, but Ryleigh's ground out ends the inning.

Caitlin begins the bottom of the first with a four-pitch walk and a stolen base. With two outs, a single scores a run for the Cowgirls. Caitlin then issues another four-pitch walk but gets a fly out to end the first. 1-0, Oklahoma State.
        Last edited by flyingMoose; March 6, 2019, 05:23 PM.

Comment

A third Cowgirl walk is the only baserunner in the second.

Comment

What did you think of that called 3rd strike on Asea to end the Shocker at bat in the top of the 3rd with runners on 1st and 2nd. Looked like a very generous call in favore of the OSU pitcher to me.

Comment

• flyingMoose
              flyingMoose commented
              Editing a comment
              Stats only for me, but Asea is a senior and is likely to be hacking at anything close.

With two outs in the third, the Shockers create a threat with a single by Butters and a walk to Neleigh, but Asea is called out on strikes to end the half-inning.

Oklahoma State scores on a two-out solo home run. The next two batters walk on nine pitches and Eris is on in relief. A ground out on a 3-2 pitch ends the third. 2-0, Oklahoma State.

Five walks and sixty-three pitches in the 2.2 innings for Caitlin.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; March 6, 2019, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Another Cowgirl solo shot in the fourth. 3-0 after four.

Comment

A bunt single by Wylie to lead off the Shocker fifth leads to nothing.

Erin gives up a leadoff double but no runs. Still 3-0 after five.

I'm done for now. Will have to see the end result later.

Comment

Final Line Score:

Shockers 0-6-0-9
                  Cowgirls 3-4-0-6

The Shocks could not come up with the big hits in the clutch situations. Caitlyn and Erin were okay in the circle.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 6, 2019, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Three innings when the Shocks had multiple runners on. In each case, this was done with two outs and they could not cash the runners. The Cowgirls used three pitchers (similar to last year), making it hard when you may only see a pitcher once.

I thought Erin's numbers were quite decent: 3.1 IP, two hits, no walks, one earned run and four strikeouts.

I thought Caitlin did not deliver what we will need against good competition: 2.2 IP, two hits, five walks, two earned runs and one strikeout. Walks were an issue at times last year. Trying to pitch too fine to good competition?

Note: The Cowgirl final line was 3-4-0-6.

Comment

Since I don't know the gals that well by site, was that Bailey on crutches at last night's game. If someone else, was Bailey out there on the floor? Sorry if someone has already posted answers.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                        1972Shocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I was only watching the game sporadically and did not see that. Obviously something's going on with Bailey. I think she has been MIA for the last 15 games.

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                      I thought Caitlin did not deliver what we will need against good competition: 2.2 IP, two hits, five walks, two earned runs and one strikeout. Walks were an issue at times last year. Trying to pitch too fine to good competition?
                      Definitely too many free passes. Caitlyn was very fortunate she was hurt more by those than she was. I think the leadoff walk in 1st was the only one that scored. She gave up the solo home run in the 3rd after getting 2 outs and that seemed to rattle her. Walked the next 2 batters on 9 pitches before Erin came in to get the final out although Erin did got to a 3-2 count. Erin had 2 other 3-2 counts but in both cases she got a stirke out to end the at bat.

I think Catilyn and Erin are both doing pretty good but it is still hard to say how they will hold up against the back half of the schedule which will probably be quite a bit more challenging that the first half of the season.

Nebraska should provide a strong challenge this weekend before things ease again the following week.

Saturday is supposed to be 52 but forecasted winds of 25 mph out of the WNW will make things interest from center field over to the fight field corner.

Sunday is supposed to be a few degrees cooler with winds out of the north but only at 9 mph so it might actually be the nicer of the two days.

Comment

Working...
                      X