https://goshockers.com/news/2018/11/...gning-day.aspx

HCKB signs 6 high schoolers in her 2019 recuiting class:

Lainee Brown - Catcher - Oklahoma City, OK
    Madyson Espinosa - Utility - St. Louis, MO
    Lauren Johnson - Outfield - Maize, KS
    Sydney Nichols - Infield - Cameron, MO
    Kiersten Nixon - RHP - O'Fallon, MO
    Bailey Urban - Outfield - Omaha, NE

Graduating Shockers include: Bailey Lange (P/OF), Laurie Derrico (SS), Asea Webber (OF), Mauriana Jamele (2B) and Bethany Canada (3B/1B)

The key losses for the Shocks are Bailey and Laurie plus Asea is a solid centerfielder.

The key recruit, as is generally the case, is probably the pitcher, Kiersten Nixon. I believe Kiersten played her club ball with the St. Louis Fusion.

https://www.ksdk.com/video/sports/hi...ers/63-8292770

I also found a recruiting video on Kierston but it is 3.5 years old. Here is a brief video from the Troy Buchanan High School twitter account showing her rise ball in a game last month (that does look like a tough ptich to hit).

Will have to see what they look like when the cleats hit the turf at the D-1 level but this appears to be a very good signing class.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 14, 2018, 02:29 PM.

So what are the chances that in a 6-player reruiting class that you would have 2 players, who may well end up being battery mates, that have sisters named Kaydence.

I'l take this a a sign of good things to come.

Comment

Any thoughts or observations flyingMoose

Comment

• flyingMoose
        flyingMoose commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely a nice rise by Kiersten on the video. Sounds like some really good travel ball experience from several of them.

Other than that, I know nothing! (Think Hogan's Heroes.)

Shockers Add Transfer McKinney to 2019 Roster

Sydney McKinney, a Norborne, Mo. native, originally signed to play for the University of Missouri, but was granted a full release and will be eligible to play for the Shockers this season as a freshman. Norbonne is a suburb on the west side of St. Louis. However, looks like she played her club ball with the KC Originals. She bats L and throws R. Not sure how tall she is.

"We are excited to add a midseason transfer to the Shocker softball program," Bredbenner said. "Sydney McKinney, one of the top high school prospects in the state of Missouri in 2018, will be joining us as a utility player helping out in the infield and outfield this coming season. She has the potential to be a triple threat from the left side and will immediately compete for a starting spot."

High School
      Four-year letterwinner and captain as a shortstop and pitcher... Broke the state of Missouri record for single-season batting average (.738) … Produced 62 hits along with 32 stolen bases en route to CLAA Player of the Year honors … Also recorded All-State (4x), All-Region (4x), All-District (4x) and All-Conference (4x) accolades over four-year campaign ... Followed up with .688 average, 66 hits, 11 doubles and 56 RBIs in sophomore season … Pivotal role in Norborne High School's first-ever state title … Named CLAA Player of the Year once again in sophomore and senior seasons … Finished with most career triples (34), hits per game (2.2) and second in career batting average (.647) in Missouri state history … Also ranks second on the single season state records in triples (12) and batting average (.738)... Was also a member of the National Honors Society.

Norbonne HS appears to be a Class 1 school which is the smallest of Missouri's 4 classes in softball so those high school numbers may or may not mean a whole lot. Her club numbers would be much more informative. Looks like she played for her Dad, Jason, at Norbonne.HS. However, after Norbonne won its 1st state championship in 2015 (her sophomore year) looks like Sydney transferred to Grain Valley, a Class 4 high school.which is just west of Kansas City and explains the KC Originals being listed as her club team. However, she only played 1 year at Grain Valley and transferred back to Norbonne her senior year. Base in this link she was 1st team Class 1 All-State at Norbonne in 2014, 2015 and 2017 and was 2nd team Class 4 All-State at Grain Valley in 2016.

She was 2nd team All-State at Grain Valley:

McKinney, who was a transfer from Norborne, had a similar impact for the Eagles on offense. She had a .526 batting average, a .563 on-base percentage, a .821 slugging percentage and 10 triples.

“Very proud of Sydney for making the all-state second team,” Grain Valley coach Lindsey Weikel said. “She was a huge asset to the softball program this year both offensively and defensively. She thrived coming from a Class 1 school to a Class 4 school.”
      I did find some stats from the summer of 2016 for her club team, the Orginals. These appear to be form the ASA/USA 16U Gold National Championships where the Originals went 9-3.

Here is Missouri's announcement of Sydney's signing in November 2017:

Sydney McKinney

V
      View image on Twitter Broke the state of Missouri record for single-season batting average (.738) … Produced 62 hits along with 32 stolen bases en route to CLAA Player of the Year honors … Also recorded All-State, All-Region, All-District and All-Conference accolades over first-year campaign ... Followed up with .688 average, 66 hits, 11 doubles and 56 RBIs in sophomore season … Pivotal role into Norborne High School's first-ever stat title … Named CLAA Player of the Year once again in sophomore and senior seasons … Finished with most career triples (33), hits per game (2.70) and runs scored (180) in Missouri state history … Received high interest across the country, but first and only collegiate choice was Mizzou.

"I chose Mizzou because I've always wanted to play for Coach Earleywine. His coaching style is tough and I know it will prepare me to play at that level."
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 2, 2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Looks like she has a little 'tude….I like that.

"She has the potential to be a triple threat from the left side and will immediately compete for a starting spot."

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          She did have an impressive game face.

Checked my inbox. Did not see anything new.

• WuDrWu
          WuDrWu commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure what happened, give me 5 minutes will try again.

• flyingMoose
          flyingMoose commented
          Editing a comment
          To be complete, Coach Earleywine was relieved of his coaching duties at Missouri just before the start of the 2018 season due to “leadership” issues. The Tigers had an interim coach during the 2018 campaign.
      Working...
      X