2018-19 Shocker Women's Tennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shockers Roll Past UConn in American Championship

The Shocks advanced to the quarterfinals of the AAC Championship with a 4-0 win over UConn. After taking the doubles point Fatima Bizhukova took the #1 singles 6-0, 6-2; LingWei Kong took the #6 singles 6-4, 6-2; and Sandra Honigova clinched the win with a 6-1, 7-6 (7-1) win in #2 doubles. The #3, #4 and #5 doubles went unfinished. Not sure I would describe it as the Shockers rolled over UConn.. I think UConn actually gave the Shockers a reasonably strong challenge which is probably much better than if the Shocks had totally dominated UConn.

Coach Foster post-match interview:

The 5th seeded Shocks take on 4th seed Tulsa on Thursday at Noon EDT/11:00 CDT.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 17, 2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

The Lady Shocks did not have it today as they fell to Tulsa 4-0 in the quarterfinals of the AAC Championship.

My guess is that will probably end their season. My take is they will not get an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament this year although they didn't have at terrible season, especially considering Fatima missed half the season.

Comment

Shocker Duo Selected for NCAA Doubles Championship

Shocker Jr. Marta Bellucco and Sr. Fatima Bizhukova have been selected to the 2019 NCAA Doubles Championship with an at-large bid. The duo makes the 32-team draw and will compete May 20-25 at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Fla.

All matches at the Championship will be the best-of-three sets. No-ad scoring and a seven-point tiebreaker (first to seven points, must win by two points) at six-games-all will be used for all matches. In doubles, a 10-point match tiebreaker will be played in lieu of a third set.

Tulsa and UCF will also have doubles teams in the 32-team field.

In the 64-player singles draw Veriya Zeliva of UCF is the only AAC player in the field.

UCF, who won the AAC's automatic bid, is the only AAC team among the 64 teams that will participate in 2019 Team Championship.

Singles and Doubles Selections

Team Selections and Team Bracket

Comment

Fatima Bizhukova Named All-Conference in The American

Congratulations to Fatima on her selection to the 2019 AAC Women's Tennis All-Conference team.

Comment

Fatima and Marta falls to Okie State tandem 6-1, 6-1 at the NCAA Doubles Championship as their season comes to an end.

Comment

Let it not be said that Shockers coaches aren't capable multi-taskers:

https://twitter.com/GoShockersWTEN/s...20203168051200

Comment

Working...
              X