2018-19 Shocker Softball Offseason/Fall Season/Preason Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018-19 Shocker Softball Offseason/Fall Season/Preason Talk

Coach Bredbenner and Madison Perrigan (and her new blonde look) weigh in briefly during Summer Camps:

Shocker Softball has announced their fall schedule with 8 games including a home game against Oklahoma State on Wednesday, September 26th and a finale against the KU Jayhawks in Lawrence on Friday, October 12th at 5:00 pm.

Admission to the home games is $3.00. Pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Shocker Softball has announced their fall schedule with 8 games ...
      All of these are single games. In the past, teams were allowed to play (I believe) a ten-inning game when only one game was played on a date. We shall see.

Comment

The 2018-19 Shocker Softball roster is now up on GoShockers.com.

Looks like we picked up 2 incoming transfers to offset the transfers of Bailey Klitzke and Ashton Esparza.

Erin McDonald is a right-handed pitcher out of Norman, Oklahoma who played her freshman year at Lousiana Tech. Erin only pitched 19 innings for La Tech which was the lowest number on the team. She was 3-0 in her 6 appearances (4 starts) with a 1.84 ERA and a WHIP of 1.32 to 1.53 depending on whether or not you want to count batters hit as free passes. She struck out 17 and walked 8 and hit 4 batters in her 19 innings.

Wylie Glover is a 5-2 outfielder (shades of Paige Luellen) who is from Valley Center and played her summer ball with the Wichtia Mustangs. She played last year for Marshall University who the Shockers beat 5-2 in the Auburn Tournament. Not able to find any stats on the Marshall website. When I did find a link to the stats it took me to the Women's Tennis stats. I guess she did make a diving catch that got her a 7-spot on Sportcenter's Top 10 plays that day.

Incoming Freshmen Adi Reese, Lauren Mills and Maddie MIchalski have been discussed previously in the recruiting thread. However, there is one more incoming Freshman on the roster in Kasidee Eck out of Andale. Kasidee is an outfielder who throws righty and bats lefty (and is apparently a slapper) and also played summer ball with the Wichita Mustangs. Her sister Sydnee pitched for Butler CC and Creighton.

Roster makeup is 5 seniors (Lange, Derrico, Webber, Jamele and Canada), 2 juniors (Perrigan and Buck), 8 Sophomores (Bingham, Nickerson, Huecker, Weber, Martinez, McDonald, Herring and Glover), and 4 freshmen (Reese, Mills, MIchalski and Eck).
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 5, 2018, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Wylie Glover is a 5-2 outfielder (shades of Paige Luellen) who is from Valley Center and played her summer ball with the Wichita Mustangs. She played last year for Marshall University who the Shockers beat 5-2 in the Auburn Tournament. Not able to find any stats on the Marshall website. When I did find a link to the stats it took me to the Women's Tennis stats. I guess she did make a diving catch that got her a 7-spot on Sportcenter's Top 10 plays that day.
        While Wylie is the same height and an outfielder, she will not be the power hitter that Paige was. I found her stats on the Conference USA site: .239 (16 for 61) with six doubles and a triple with an OPS of .712. She played in 36 of the 53 games for the Herd with 23 starts. Her game against the Shockers was as a DP, but there is no way to tell by looking at the fielding stats how many of her games were in the outfield and how many were as a DP. Her Shocker bio says she started in the outfield in 18 of her last 21 games at Marshall. Were there some injuries earlier in the season, or did it just take some time to crack the starting lineup.

There was a coaching change at Marshall (the head coach from KU took the job), so that change may have been part of her decision to come back home to Wichita State.

Erin McDonald is a right-handed pitcher out of Norman, Oklahoma who played her freshman year at Louisiana Tech. Erin only pitched 19 innings for La Tech which was the lowest number on the team. She was 3-0 in her 6 appearances (4 starts) with a 1.84 ERA and a WHIP of 1.32 to 1.53 depending on whether or not you want to count batters hit as free passes. She struck out 17 and walked 8 and hit 4 batters in her 19 innings.
        Not to be rude, but Erin sounds like the freshman pitchers we endured this past season. Erin's innings were the lowest among the six pitchers who appeared in the circle for LaTech, but she had the best ERA of the four secondary pitchers. Again, were injuries an issue, or did she get to pitch against the softest opponents and had better stats as a consequence.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
          Not to be rude, but Erin sounds like the freshman pitchers we endured this past season. Erin's innings were the lowest among the six pitchers who appeared in the circle for LaTech, but she had the best ERA of the four secondary pitchers. Again, were injuries an issue, or did she get to pitch against the softest opponents and had better stats as a consequence.
          I kind of had the same thought that Erin may have pitched her innings against the softest poriton of the La Tech schedule and I think there is some truth to that.

March 4, 2018: She made her debut against Texas A&M, 22 games into the season, where she pitched that final 2 outs and allowed 2 earned runs in a 10-1 five inning run rule loss in which she was the 5th La Tech pitcher used in that game.

April 4, 2018: She did not see action agains until 37 games into the season when she pitched all 5 innings of a 13-1 run rule win over Grambling State.

Apirl 11, 2018: She started and went 5-0 innings in a 2-1 win over Sterphen F. Austin.

April 14, 2018: She ptiched 1.1 innings in relief, allowing no hits or runs, against UTSA in a 7-4 La Tech win.

April 17, 2018: She made her 3rd start of the season against Arkansas-Pine Bluff allowing 2 hits and 1 unearned run in 4.0 innings of a 9-1 five inning run rule.

May 11, 2018: After a litte over 3 weeks after her last outing she started La Tech's 3rd game in the C-USA Tournament. An elimiation game against UAB. She went 3 innings allowing 2 earned runs but did not take the loss in a 4-3 loss that ended La Tech's season. La Tech lead 2-0 going into the 4th. Erin gave up a home run and a doulble ot lead off the 4th and her relief pticher gave up the inherited runner and 2 more runs to account for all of UAB'

Most of her season was condensed into a 2 week period from April 4th to April 17th. The start against UAB in the C-USA Tournament was a bit surprising but generally I think you can say that she did most of her work agaisnt the softest part fo the La Tech schedule.

I would agree that her season was comparable to what the Shockers got from freshmen Hailey Martinez and Mckenzie Weber. About the same number of innings but about half the appearnces.

Comment

Looking forward to the season it seems pretty clear that Bailey Lange and Caitlyn Bingham will carry the bulk of the load with Hailey Martinez, Mckenzie Weber and Erin McDonald in support roles as and when needed. If any of those latter 3 ladies can step up and be consistently effective that would be a bonus and might be important for the next couple of years with Bailey completing her eligibility this year.

The Shockers would seem to be set with Madison Perrigan at catcher, Ryleigh Buck at 1st and Lauie Derrico at 2nd. Asea Webber and Bailee Nickerson will probably be fixtures in the outfiled with Bailey Lange when she isn't pitching.

Some things to watch for during fall ball:

I assume Mauriana Jamele and Kayla Huekcer will either battle for 2nd base duties or will share those duties unless incoming Maddie Michalski can challenge for playing time. Michalski played summer ball with the St. Louis Chaos which was also the summer team of Caitlyn Bingham.

The Shocks have a bunch of shovelling to fill the huge hole left at 3rd base with the graduation of Mackenzie Wright, the reighing AAC Player of the Year. The big quetion is do we have enough shovels avaialble. I guess the candidates are Senior Bethany Canada who has only played sparingly in her first 3 years as a Shocker, perhaps redshirt sophomore Kaylee Huecker could move over to 3rd although not sure that is a good idea, freshman Adi Reese has played 3rd with the Wichita Mustangs but she is only 5-3, and perhaps Maddie Michalski could be a possiblity also. I don't think it is a question of will we miss Mackenzie, The question is how much will we miss Mackenzie.

Who will fill the 3rd outfiled slot when Bailey is pitching? I guess the candidates are Wylie Glover and Kasidee Eck. Perhaps Maddie Michalski. Mckenzie Webber is listed as a RHP/OF.

While we are set with Madison at catcher I'm not sure who will backup Madison? I think Bailee Nickerson has done some catching in high school. Bethany Canada maybe?

At the DP spot I would guess Neleigh Herring and Lauren Mills will be the leading candidates. Maybe Caitlyn Bingham when she isn't pitching.

Comment

Coach Bredbenner inks a well-deserved 5-year contract extension.

Wichita State athletic director Darron Boatright announced Thursday that head softball coach Kristi Bredbenner has agreed to a five-year contract extension through the end of the 2023 season.

Comment

Who helps Bailey Lange in the circle?

Wichita State softball starts practices on Sept. 5 and the coaching staff will devote much attention to figuring out how to assemble the pitching staff behind senior Bailey Lange. To that end, coach Kristi Bredbenner went heavy on NCAA Division I and NCAA Division II schools for fall scrimmages.

"We were so close last year to being able to upset a regional," Bredbenner said. "If we can get somebody throughout the year to be a little bit consistent and carry a larger load, that's only going to help the longevity of Bailey."

Bredbenner wants returners McKenzie Weber, Caitlin Bingham, Neleigh Herring and Hailey Martinez to get significant work in the fall. Lange, who started all four of Wichita State's NCAA regional games last spring, will take it easy this fall.

"It's really going to be crucial for them to get a lot of innings," Bredbenner said. "We know what Lange can do."

Erin McDonald, a sophomore transfer from Louisiana Tech, joins the pitching staff. She went 3-0 with a 1.84 earned run average in six appearances last spring.

"She has a nice little riseball, good little change-up," Bredbenner said. "That's a great foundation. That's really Bailey Lange's strength."

Third base is another prime position to monitor.

The Shockers lost Mackenzie Wright, the 2018 American Player of the Year, who hit .360 with four home runs and played outstanding defense. Bredbenner will look at several candidates to play third, including seniors Laurie Derrico, Bethany Canada and Asea Webber, sophomore Kaylee Huecker and freshman Adi Reese.

Senior outside hitter Tabitha Brown is the focal point of Wichita State's offense – and opposing defenses. She earned honorable mention All-American honors in 2017 after hitting .268 with 385 kills. Indications are Brown is prepared to produce her strongest season as a Shocker.

Comment

Wilkins Stadium gets a new outfield wall. Taller (I think), padded and with a warning track. All needed improvements IMHO.

https://twitter.com/GoShockersSB/sta...38586438311939
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 2, 2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Wilkins Stadium gets a new outfield wall. Taller (I think), padded and with a warning track. All needed improvements IMHO.
                    Definitely Yes! if you are going to have an "honest" program. Next are the dugouts and press box.

Actually, the Next is building a new stadium adjacent to the indoor practice facility with all of the above plus better seating arrangements.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                      Actually, the Next is building a new stadium adjacent to the indoor practice facility with all of the above plus better seating arrangements.
                      That may happen although I am not convinced that it will or even should happen at this point - the relocation not the rebuild of the stands and press box facilities - although I might change my mind once I saw some final plans of how that would work. Obviously, they would need to make that call if they do have a rebuild of the stands and press box facilities in the works.

At this point though I prefer the aesthetics of the current location. OTOH there may be some logistical and other solid reasons for relocating which I am not aware of. Perhaps rebuilding the seating areas and press box facilities at the current location presents a greater challenge than I think it does or we fall short in some behind the scenes areas that are a disadvantage in recruiting and training. I could certainly be convinced otherwise.

In any case, I think such a project is probably a ways down the road yet regardless of the location. Have you heard anything to suggest otherwise?

Now some major donor who wants their name on a brand spanking new athletic facility on campus could certainly change that dynamic. What would a new facility cost? Any idea?

Comment

Have you heard anything to suggest otherwise?

... or even should happen at this point - the relocation ...
                        My understanding is President Bardo would like to have the piece of land Wilkins Stadium is on. It is not clear to me why, but ...

... the current location ...
                        So what are some options? The Innovation Campus is spoken for - not an option. 29th and Oliver is a total disconnect from the campus and would not be desirable from a student-athlete perspective or from a softball-in-general perspective. Does being close to the indoor facility make some sense? I think so - lots of sense.

Now some major donor who wants their name on a brand spanking new athletic facility on campus could certainly change that dynamic. What would a new facility cost? Any idea?
                        No idea. Million(s)? But you are right - the cost of a new improved facility is a major limiting factor.

Comment

Pual Suellentrip visist with Coach Ryne Stefankeiwicz about the Shocker picthing staff. Obviously Bailey Lange is locked in as the staff's ace. Nothing else is locked in at this point.

https://goshockers.com/news/2018/9/2...ankiewicz.aspx

Podcast: https://wichitastate.tv/podcast/roun...stefankiewicz/

Comment

Shockers Open Fall Play vs. Avila (Sat @ 1:00), Crowder (Sun @ 1:00)

https://goshockers.com/news/2018/9/2...a-crowder.aspx

Both games set for 10 innings. Admissions is $5 at the gate.

Comment

Working...
                            X