No announcement yet.

Shocker WBB 2018-19 Offseason/Preseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, at least the ladies have a chance to hopefully stick to it to the school up north.

Comment

Gotta beat Washington State first and then you get a chance against Jessica Washington and the lady jayhawks

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Well I can't say that I understand that rhythm either. However, the Shockers have now filled their vacancy with very experienced Jeff Osterman who has been the Associate Head Coach for the last 10 years at fellow AAC member USF the 2nd best team in the AAC last year, a team that has been to 4 consectuive NCAA Tournaments.

Seems a little unusual for an Associate Head Coach to make a move to an Assistant Coach position especially after 10 years as an Associate Head Coach to a program where there is already an Associate Head Coach in place. Hard to believe he will be making much more money at WSU, if any. Maybe he just wants to experience out interesting weather.

Here is the anouncement of his departure from USF on April 3rd.

In any case, this would seem to be a very solid hire for the Lady Shocks although it certainly seems to be out of the ordinary. It surely doesn't add to my understanding of the "coaches moving" rhythm.

Welcome to Shocker nation Coach Osterman.
        After 10 years, he may have felt that it was time to move on, and he liked Keitha Adams. The other Assistant left last year for FAU so maybe the head coach has something to do with it. That isn't exactly an upward move. Adams has done some very positive things for the program in the short time here this past year. The trend appears to be going up to me.

Comment

The Lady Shockers might get a shot at the Kansas Jayhawks this coming December at the Duel in the Desert hosted by UNLV.

She Lady Shocks (14-17, 9-7, RPI 150 last year) will play Northwestern (12-20, 4-12, RPI 177) and will play either Washington State (10-20, 3-14, 116) or Kansas (12-18, 3-15, 182) in the 2nd game.

Not sure the Shocks' record from a year ago is meaningful considering we lost 8 seniors and have only 3 players with a combined 5 years of D-1 experience, 2 players who redshirted last year and 10 newcomers (assuming everyone shows up).

KU on the other hand will be very experienced returning 8 of 9 players who logged double digit minutes for them last year plus they get another senior,5-8 G Jessica Washington, back after missing alll of last year with a knee injury. Jessica, out of Tulsa, played 2 years at UNC before transferring to KU. After sitting out a year she was the Big 12 Newcomer of the Year before sitting out last year due to injury. The NCAA granted her another year of eligibility as she will be a 6th year player (one transfer year and one medical redshirt year). So KU will have 6 seniors in their primary rotation. KU also picked up a couple of Brazilian players via Highland CC (in far Northeastern Kansas). One of those players, Mariane De Carvalho, a 6-2 forward ranked as the No. 6 Juco player overall and No. 1 at her position. She averaged 19.6 PPG and 7.8 RPG last year at Highland and was a two-time juco All-American.

Northwestern on the other hand was very young last year. Not as young as this year's Shocks but only two seniors. They do have all 3 of their double digit scorers back from last year.

Washington State looked to be in similar situation with to Kansas with 7 of their 9 players who logged double digit minutes due back this year. But apparently 3 of those returning players, including one of the best shot blockers in the PAC-12, have left the Washington State program reportedly due ot some harsh comments by the new AD during a meeting with the team. Washington also will have a 1st year coach. However, Washington State does have its top 3 scoriers back from last year.

Whoever, they play these are probably pretty good games for this inexperienced Shocker team. They will get two P-5 opponents but whoever they play will probably be in the bottom half of their conference. It will be intereresting to see how HCKA puts together the rest of her non-con schedule for this team.

Comment

Dawnyel is in the house! :encouragement:

WSU Ewa Laskowska‏ @CoachEwa Jun 8

Dawnyel Lair just graduated from high school and next day got on our campus to be official Shocker!

Comment

• ShockTalk
              ShockTalk commented
              Editing a comment
              WOO HOO!!!

And now Miss Michigan Basketball 2018, Jaida Hampton, is in the house. :encouragement: Along with Dawnyel Lair who arrived a couple days ago that is 2 of the 3 players I am calling the Crown Jewels of this recruiting class. With Juco All-American Mariah McCully not yet on campus. Of course, there is a good chance I don't have the slightest idea what I'm talking about. Any way good to have Jaida here. Welcome to Wichita, Jaida!

WSU Ewa Laskowska‏ @CoachEwa 2 hours ago

Jaida Hampton graduated from high school yesterday in Michigan and she is on Wichita State campus today

Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 11, 2018, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Congratulations to former Shocker standout and native Wichitan Angela Buckner on her selection the the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame

WICHITA, Kan. - Wichita State's all-time leading rebounder, Angela Buckner, is one of 13 members selected for the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame (KSHOF) Class of 2018, it was announced Wednesday afternoon.

Buckner was a four-year letterwinner and three-time Missouri Valley Conference selection (2001, 2003 and 2004), while also earning MVC Freshman of the Year honors as a Shocker. She is the only Shocker in school history to total more than 1,300 points and 1,200 rebounds. Buckner set the school record for rebounds with 1,297 and double-doubles with 67 - also a conference record. She still holds marks in the top 10 for free throws made and attempted, points and blocks.

Comment

RH: Leadership Roles Roll Over for Shockers

http://goshockers.com/news/2018/6/20...-shockers.aspx

Ambrosio and forward Sabrina Lozada-Cabbage are Wichita State's lone seniors and the only returners who started a game last season. They are charged with leading a roster that includes three other returners, two of whom (junior Raven King and freshman Asia Henderson) redshirted last season. The rest of the roster is filled with newcomers.

"We've targeted kids that are competitive," Adams said. "We've got some kids that are shooters. I think we'll be able to play up-tempo, need to be guard-oriented, pressing, mixing up defenses. We've got kids we can be aggressive with."

Six new Shockers are here and Adams expects the rest to join practices as they complete summer school. Guard Ashley Reid is limited in workouts due to injury, but Adams expects her to play an important role at point guard. Reid played one season at Louisiana Tech before transferring to New Mexico Junior College where she averaged 10.9 points and 3.9 assists in 13 games, making 50.9 percent of three-pointers.

Carla Bremaud, from Life Prep Academy, will help Wichita State's offense. Incoming freshmen forward Shyia Smith, forward Trajata Colbert, guard Dawnyel Lair and forward Jaida Hampton, a recent arrival, are also practicing. Hampton, from East Lansing, Mich., was named Michigan's Miss Basketball after averaging 16.1 points for East Lansing.

"(Bremaud's) definitely got our attention," Adams said. "Carla can definitely shoot the ball."

Comment

WSU Ewa Laskowska‏ @CoachEwa
                  @GoShockersWBB team bonding time at @WSUKeithaAdams house!

12:04 PM - 20 Jun 2018

Nice pool table Coach K.

Comment

Nice pool table Coach K.
                    I was thinking the exact same thing....I need an upgrade, and pronto!

Comment

Lofty goals.

Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                        Becoming a Top 25 team, selling out 10,506-seat Koch Arena and returning to the NCAA Tournament
                        I think returning to the NCAA Tournament is doable in the AAC although winning the autobid in the AAC is pretty much impossible while winning the autobid in the Valley was a much easier task. However, getting an at-large bid in the AAC might be an easier task than it is in the Valley.

Becoming a Top 25 teams will be tough but not impossible.

Selling out Koch Arena might be possible with UConn comming to town at least every other year and, if the Shocks do improve, every year at some point in the future. Not sure this is possible without UConn though.

I will say I really like HCKA's enthusiasm, determination and work ethic and everything she has done so far. I hope HCKA and her teams are rewarded for that spirit.

From the article:

Sabrina Lozada-Cabbage and Cesaria Ambrosio are the only two seniors on the team and the only players with Division I starting experience.

Jaida Hampton, a 5-foot-11 wing, might be the gem of the class for Adams. Hampton, from East Lansing, Mich., was named Michigan's Miss Basketball for 2018. Another coup might be 5-7 guard Dawnyel Lair, who was widely recognized as the best player in the Los Angeles city league. Carla Bremaud, a 5-11 guard from France, and Shyia Smith, a 6-0 forward, are also believed to be instant impact players.

Comment

Selling out Koch Arena ...
                          How close did we come when Jackie Stiles would come to town?

Comment

Jackie only won 1 time in 4 tries in Henry Levitt Arena. Her 1st three years the Shocks beat the Bears in Levitt Arena 87-82, 58-56, amd 87-82. The Bears finally won in Jackie's senior season by 89-85 in OT. Those last two games drew crowds of 10,529 and 10,612 which would be sellouts in Koch Arena. Of course IIRC correctly seems like MSU fans made up about 25% of those crowds and whatever the populatioon of Claflin, Kansas no douibt contributed as well. Those were some really entertaining basketball games.

The only other 10k crowds the Lady Shockers have is the annual Schoolhouse Screamfest games which I have always avoided and I generally don't count as real attendance. Those have generally been against the weakest oppoinents on the Shocker schedules.

Comment

Tough duty for Coach Ewa, or not!

Comment

Working...
                              X