Shocker SB v Tulsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
    The use of the freshman pitchers in relief in the seventh was curious. My guess is, "We can't rely one and one-half pitchers for the rest of the season (and conference tournament). I'm going to throw you into the fire. Show me what you've got." LiveStats says the loss belongs to Mckenzie - it belongs to Hailey. (I'm a scorekeeping freak - the official scoring of these games can be atrocious.)

EDIT: I just noticed that Hailey was taken out after a single to the pitcher. Perhaps she dinged by a come-backer.

Yes, the performance by Caitlin was very encouraging. Still too much wildness (both walks and wild pitches), but this was progress for her and easily the best starting pitching for the Shocks this weekend.

Ryleigh will continue to struggle defensively I suspect for reasons we have discussed before. But by next year we hope ...
    From the NCAA scoring guide:

The starting pitcher shall be charged with the loss if he is replaced at any time while his team is behind and remains behind for the remainder of the game. Similarly, any relief pitcher who is the pitcher of record when the opposing team assumes the lead and never relinquishes it is charged with the loss.

Webber has to get the loss. The prior pitcher gets charged with the run earned or unearned. The rule is written that way because you can't get charged with the loss if you do not get the chance to finish the inning, So one gets charged the run, one gets charged the loss.

Comment

Originally posted by wsunet View Post

From the NCAA scoring guide:

The starting pitcher shall be charged with the loss if he is replaced at any time while his team is behind and remains behind for the remainder of the game. Similarly, any relief pitcher who is the pitcher of record when the opposing team assumes the lead and never relinquishes it is charged with the loss.

Webber has to get the loss. The prior pitcher gets charged with the run earned or unearned. The rule is written that way because you can't get charged with the loss if you do not get the chance to finish the inning, So one gets charged the run, one gets charged the loss.
      Hmm. This can be a bit confusing. All Rules references are to the NCAA Softball 2018 and 2019 Rules. My comments in italics.

Let's start with Rule 14.1.23 Pitcher of Record: The pitcher who is the player who will receive a decision (that is, a win or loss). (See Rules ... 14.29.7, respectively.)

In particular, the Pitcher of Record is not who is in the circle when the run scores, but who can be charged with the loss. (I will limit the discussion to losing pitcher.)

Rule 14.29.7 Losing Pitcher:

Rule 14.29.7.1 - Each pitcher is responsible for the scoring of a run if she was the pitcher of record when the batter reached base, except if she reached by virtue of a fielder's choice, regardless of who was the pitcher of record at the time of the score. Account for all base runners left on base in determining if her team is ahead, tied or behind at the time she is replaced.

I think that says whoever put the runner on base remains responsible for her, even with a subsequent fielder's choice. When Hailey allowed the single, she was the Pitcher of Record - the game was tied, no runners were on base, and she could be the winning or losing pitcher. When Mckenzie enters the game, she can be the winning pitcher, but she cannot be the losing pitcher. Hailey remains responsible for the runner on base (14.29.7.1).

Rule 14.29.7.3 - A relief pitcher receives the loss if she is the pitcher of record when the opponent goes ahead and stays ahead for the remainder of the game.

Again, Hailey is the Pitcher of Record because of the runner she put on base before she left the game, Tulsa goes ahead and remains ahead. Hailey is the losing pitcher.

I admit the wording of the Rules is a bit confusing, but the scoring I have outlined has been standard since I don't know when.

Do you see something I am missing?
      Last edited by flyingMoose; April 9, 2018, 04:26 AM.

Comment

I watched the replay of the 7th inning of Game 3 vs Tulsa. The error on Ryleigh Buck that allowed the winning run to score was probably a ball she should ctach but it was anyhing but a good throw by Mackenzie from 3rd and, in fact,, it could just as easily been scoredd a throwing error on Mackenzie although you do want you 1st baseman to bail you out as much as possible. The throw was high and a llitte towards the home plate side of 1st and the runner was within a step of the bag. Ryleigh reach as far as she could while maintaining her foot on the bag. Had she come of the bag she probably catches the ball and a throwing error would have been scored but the run would not have scored on that play. At the very least McKenzie and Ryleigh can share that one.

Caitlyn's pitching was a positive. I suppose you could question why she was even out there in the 7th but certainly question leaving her in after she waked the lead off batter. But myabe it would not made much of a difference. I was not really impressed with Hailey. She faced 3 hitters (the 8-9 and 1) and all 3 hit the ball hard. She was fortunate to get 2 outs. Mckenzie Webber looked better than Hailey to me. Maybe she can pitch an inning or two here or there. Loos like maybe a 1 time through the lineup pitcher at this point. Of course, the larger question is where were BaileyL and BaileyK in what seemed to me like a very important game for the Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Had she come of the bag she probably catches the ball and a throwing error would have been scored but the run would not have scored on that play.
          That's the experience-at-first-base factor rearing its ugly head. And I am not sure Mackenzie has been as steady at third base as in years past. This pitching staff cannot be asked to bail out weak defense too often.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree that Mackenzie hasn't been quite as consistent as she has in the past but she still makes some really good plays. Unfortunately that throw in the 7th against Tulsa was not one of them.
        Working...
        X