Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker WBB Recruiting - Class of 2019

IG:StevenLBarber23‏ @MrBarber23

Wichita State University is on a home visit today with Top 2019 PG Corina Carter! @rina_hoops

4:31 PM - 27 Mar 2018

Coach Reshad Baker‏ @letstalkbb1

2019 5’8 PG Destiny Rice had a home visit w/ Wichita State University • Shockers @ASGR1995 @PBRhoops @ShesBallin #FlameGangg

5:33 PM - 25 Mar 2018 from New Orleans, LA

Comment

Not sure what are chances are with these ladies but shows you HCKA is hard at work.

Corina Carter is from the San Antonio area. She is a 5-6 lefty PG. Max Preps has her ranked at #33 nationally and #5 in Texas not sure if that rank is overall of at her position. My guess is at her position.

Destiny Rice is 5-8 combo guard from Vivian, LA. North of Shreveport in the very NW corner of Louisiana. Max Preps has her at 448 Nationally and #10 in Louisiana. Again don't know if that is overall at at her position. Interesting picture on the fireplace mantle.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 1, 2018, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Get those guards early

Comment

During Ricky Torres' announcment of his commitment this morning there were some comments that Ricky was the 2nd athlete from the area (30 mile radius) to commit to the Shockers. The other was a commitment to the women's team and the last name mentioned was Francis.

Took some sleuthing but I have found that commitment.

It is 5-8 Jr. guard Piper Francis out of Liberty High School in Moutain View, Missouri which is 25 miles north of West Plains.

Stats: 25.1 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 2.6 SPG
          College: Wichita State (verbal)
          Opposing Coach Comments: “Very, very quick and has a head for the game; very court smart. Very good spot up shooter. Very good on the offensive boards. Piper is a student of the game and has no quit in her, her motor never stops she is going to play hard every possession.”

http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/2018...sketball-team/

Francis continues her run as one of the most prolific scorers in the history of the Ozarks. Three times this season she scored at least 40 points, with three additional games of 30-39. Of her 79 career games, she’s hit the 20-point mark 58 times. The 5-foot-8 combo guard has more than 1,900 career points through her first three seasons, owning the single-game, single-season and career scoring records at Liberty.

Some video highlights available here: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/pipe...TA/default.htm

and/or here: https://www.hudl.com/profile/6844281/Piper-Francis
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 21, 2018, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Here is an article from February announcing Piper's commitment to Wichita State. As I mentioned elsewhere finding recruiting information on the women is really tough and kind of hit and miss.

Not sure HCKA is allowed to say anything about a verbal commit but it seems like her style is to wait unitl she has most of her recruiting class under LOI before making any public annouancments and then announce her classes as a group.

I noticed that this article from FieldLevel which must be a player recruiting service lists Piper at 5-10 as does the HUDL sight in the previous post. Not sure which is right 5-8 or 5-10. Maybe she is 5-9.

And here is Piper's twitter page with her Shocker announcement pinned at the top.

A photo of Piper with I presume Mom and Dad, HCKA and AHEL, and last year's Shocker team.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 21, 2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Here is a personal message from Piper after her sophomore year:

I hope the season has got off to a great start for you and your team. My name is Piper Francis and I'd like to be evaluated for your 2019 recruiting class. I'm a 5'9 guard that is capable of playing any guard position. I attend Liberty High School in Mountain View, MO and play AAU ball with the Missouri Valley Magic. This past season as a sophomore, I averaged 27 points to go along with 4.6 rebounds, 3.4 steals, and 4.3 assists. I have broken 3 school records: most points scored in a game with 40, most points in a season with 686, and most threes in a game with 7. I was also the 2nd fastest player to reach 1,000 point in the state of Missouri doing it in 44 games. I am a member of National Honor Society, FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America), FTA (Future Teachers of America) Youth Alive, Kingdom Workers and Pep Club. I love the game of basketball so working hard and staying committed is easy. I can't wait to get my chance at the next level and appreciate the opportunity to be evaluated.

https://evo.nsr-inc.com/prospect_det...pect_id=203874

Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 25, 2018, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Lady shocks get some much needed frontcourt depth and a strong and aggressive rebounder

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                  https://twitter.com/Onlyashlei/statu...362573827?s=19

Lady shocks get some much needed frontcourt depth and a strong and aggressive rebounder
                  That is a big, strong young lady. More highlights available on her Hudl page. She kind of reminds me of Angela Buckner although I'm not predicting she will be a future Shocker Hall of Famer just yet.

If both Ashlei Kirvin and Piper Francis both follow through on their verbals and sign LOI's in November then HCKA will have finished up her 2019 class as she only has 2 seniors on this year's roster. Of course, non-senior departures are possible especially with a full roster of 15 players.

Comment

Will be a nice haul for sure

Comment

The Lady Shocks secure a 3rd verbal commitment for the Class of 2019 to go along with Ashlei Kirvin and Piper Francis.

Dajinae McCarty, a 5-9 guard out of Cedar Hill, Texas (a Dallas suberb) announced her commitment to the Lady Shocks this weekend.

​ave

Now the Lady Shocks have a full roster of 15 players this year with only 2 seniors. Now whether or not any of the players on the current year roster are walk-ons I couldn't say and, of course, we'll have to wait and see who signs an LOI in November to know for sure who is committed. I am quite sure that Coach Keitha, like Coach Marshall, can count.

Prospects Nation.com (which I have not run across before) Dajinae rated as a 4-star and ranks her at #114 in the Class of 2019. That's pretty strong.

Blue Star Media reports:

Dajinae McCarty – 2019 – 5-7 – Point Guard/Guard – Cedar Hill High School — Bigger combo guard…Can get off the floor…Solid handles…Emerging floater…Will shoot the three but can continue to develop in that area…Slashes her way to the rim…Has the athleticism and size to be dynamic

Based on her photo staniding next to Coach Keitha I think the 5-9 tht Prospect Nation.com reports for her is more accurate than the 5-7 that Blue Star Media reported.

According to the DallasNews.com: Dajinae McCarty, Cedar Hill: Averaged 13.5 points, 7.3 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.7 steals in perhaps the toughest district in the state.

Hudl has some videos on their site (although they list Dajinae as Class of 2018 which apparently is an error).

Comment

HCKA announces the signing of two players from the Class of 2019.

Ashlei Kirven | Forward | 6'3" | Beaumont, Texas

Kirven averaged 27 points, 10 rebounds, seven assists and three blocks as a junior.

Coach Adams on Kirven: "Ashlei is one of the top post players from the Houston area. She's a very athletic, strong and physical post player who can rebound and score around the basket. She will bring a very competitive mentality to our team."

DJ McCarty | Guard | 5'8" | DeSoto, Texas

She averaged 15.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 4.0 assists per game as a junior

Coach Adams on McCarty: "DJ is one of the top guards in Texas and we're extremely excited to have her as a Shocker. She can score, defend and distribute the basketball. She is very competitive and plays with a very high motor."

Piper Francis, the high scoring 5-9 guard out of Mountain View, Missouri, apparently changed her mind about her verbal commitmnet to Wichita State as she has signed an LOI with SIU-Edwardsville.

Comment

D.P.McCarty‏ @DPMcCarty1 Congrats Dajinae (DJ) McCarty on being named to TGCA ALL STATE 6A @Deezyomo

5:44 AM - 14 Mar 2019

TGCA = Texas Girl's Coaches Association

Comment

Twitter announcements made by Jada Peacock and Alyssia Faye, they are transferring.

HCKA now has two more spots to fill, maybe more if others also seek a transfer. Also leaves no player in the current soph class (c/o '21)

Comment

Originally posted by New2Wu View Post
                              HCKA now has two more spots to fill, maybe more if others also seek a transfer. Also leaves no player in the current soph class (c/o '21)
                              Not surprised at all that Jada has decided to move on. She wasn't playing much at all and with such a young team it's not like she could just wait her turn.

Maybe mildly surprised that Alyssa is leaving although it appears she my have been heading to a career as a fill in reserve role in her career. Plus with international students you just never now when they will yearn to go back home or closer to home and family.

HCKA now has 3 spots to fill if she chooses to use all 15 of her scholarships including these two transfers and the mid-year departure of Dawnyel Lair.

At this point the class breakdown for next year is:

3 Seniors - all from the Juco ranks
                              0 Juniors - would not surprise me if 1 or 2 of the open scholarships go to Juco players although that may or may not be the best route to follow. A bit hit or miss. The Shocks can probably get by okay with an open class for now. We would not have any seniors next year but we would have a very experienced junior class next year so probably not a critical need to have anyone in this class.
                              6 Sophomores - wished she had redshirted Trajata Colbert. Not that Trajata didn't improve late in the season but it would have helped break up this class a little and put her and Asia Henderson in different classes.
                              3 Freshman - redshirt Natalia Ryng and the two incoming freshman.

While HCKA does not have to use all of her scholarships her M.O. would seem to indicate that is her preference so I anticipate she add at least 2 more players if not 3. Mid-April to Mid-May is the spring signing period although international players are often added late without an LOI.

As far as needs the Shocks need to find some scorers and shot makers.

Comment

Working...
                              X