Shocks vs. #25 Oklahoma State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks vs. #25 Oklahoma State

Shox down 85-39 with just a few seconds left.

The cowboys are a good team but it's unacceptable to lose to anyone by this much.

No moral victory for the Shocks tonight (if the Shocks could have stayed within 20 I would have considered that a pretty strong game for them).

Unfortunately, we have had some real big blowouts on the road under Coach Albright.

Whenever, you lose by more points (46) than you score (39) you have not had a good night.

I guess the positive spin would be to say that it is only one loss and a game you did not expect to win anyway. Hopefully, not too much damage was done to the team's confidence.

Also Shockers were down one starter as Kyrie Kinder was out with the flu and Whitney Rice is still out, not that it would have made much difference.

At least we did manage to shoot a higher percentage (26.4%) than we had turnovers (25), although not by much.

I guess we should be thankful that OSU missed 15 free throws.

:(

Comment

The OSU game was again another stark reminder that parity is pretty much non-existent in Women's College Basketball.

Perhaps it is time for the NCAA to re-evaluate the 15 scholarships allowed for Women's basketball.

Maybe if they lowered this to 13 (which is the limit for Men's basketball) there would be a little more talent available to go around.

The Shocks only have 14 players on their roster this year and that includes Val Siemens who is sitting out after transferring from Tulsa.

I'm not sure what the rationale behind the higher scholarship limit is. Maybe the ladies are more prone to serious injury then men (I think knee injuries are more common for the women) or perhaps it has something to do with Title IX issues.

Whatever the reason higher scholarship limits seem to favor the haves over the have nots and allows them to stockpile players.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
        I guess the positive spin would be to say that it is only one loss and a game you did not expect to win anyway. Hopefully, not too much damage was done to the team's confidence.

Also Shockers were down one starter as Kyrie Kinder was out with the flu and Whitney Rice is still out, not that it would have made much difference.

At least we did manage to shoot a higher percentage (26.4%) than we had turnovers (25), although not by much.

I guess we should be thankful that OSU missed 15 free throws.

:(

I almost always agree with you, but I don't see how there could be anything positive from this, other than it might be getting us closer to getting a new head coach.

Everyone knew we weren't gonna win, but did anyone know we weren't gonna show up?

That's two absolutely horrendous losses to Big 12 teams this year. I don't care if we are playing Tennessee or UCONN, we shouldn't ever get beat like that. Something needs to change with this program or I am gonna seriously start wondeing what JS is doing.

Comment

Gee, double r, I have to try to justify my two season tickets somehow!

:D

Unfortunatley, blowouts on the road are not anything new.

Last year Indiana State whacked us 96-63 (granted the Shocks were without Annie Wells) and SIU laid a 72-39 beating on us in Carbondale in the last regular season game of the year.

Even in the 2005-2006 season, what we thought was our breakout year and Jane's only winning season (15-13) the Shocks lost on the road 81-49 to ORU, 85-60 to Indiana State and 84-55 at Evansville.

It is one thing to get destroyed by Texas A&M and OSU. I can actually somewhat understand that, but I really hate not showing up against MVC and Mid-Continent teams. If history is any guide we may have a couple more no-shows to live through this year, but I hope that's not the case.

Sadly, the Shocks defeated OSU 54-49 in Jane's 1st year (with mostly Darryl's players). Granted OSU was not that good then, but it does show you how the paths of the two programs have diverged significantly in 4 years .

Comment

It appears the Valley may be down enough to wear WSU might be able to sneak 3 or 4 home conference wins out this year. That's about it. I've resigned to the notion that 6 wins this year may be the maximum.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
              It appears the Valley may be down enough to wear WSU might be able to sneak 3 or 4 home conference wins out this year. That's about it. I've resigned to the notion that 6 wins this year may be the maximum.
              3 of the next four games are winnable home games vs Texas Pan American, Texas State and Winthrop, although none of these are no brainers for this team. If they can get these games they will have 6 wins going into the conference season.

I would think they win 6-8 conference games to get them 12 to 14 wins.

Either way, hard to believe 12-18, 13-17 or 14-16 would be enough to save Jane's job. That's what I see as the best case.

My prediction before the season was 12-18. To get their I had them winning all three of the upcoming home games.

At this point, I am not sure at all that will happen.

Comment

Working...
              X