Shocks vs UTA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks vs UTA

After a fairly dominant first set won by the Shocks 25-14 the Shocks seemed to downshift a little and UTA played the 2nd and 3rd sets much closer, but the Shocks pulled wins out in both at 25-22 and 26-24.

Going in I said that a 2-1 showing would be a satsifactory showing for the young Shocker team. However, the match against Miami that we let get away from us makes this a little less satisfying then it might otherwise be.

I think the team showed they have a lot of things they need to work and improve on, but they also showed that they have a lot of upside and potential that Lambo will eventually be able to exploit.

OU knocks off Miami in 4 sets.

Scores were 25-21, 25-23, 16-25, 25-19

Comment

I think you hit the nail on the head about showing potential. I didn't expect this team to be consistent right out of the gate with all the new faces, so I can accept not being able to finish off Miami (not like it, but accept it). I had a much harder time knowing what the potential of this team would be once they started to round into shape.

At the end of the day, this team showed enough upside this weekend to make me more excited about how good we could be than I was going into the weekend. The very fact that we could be disappointed about letting the Miami game and a perfect weekend slip away is itself an encouraging thing since it means that they ways the girls played have ratcheted up the expectations we have of them as fans.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

FWIW ... Shocks won the tournament with the OU/Miami result. Zwiesler and Backes join MVP Sarah Waldorf on the all-tourney team.
        “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee
          FWIW ... Shocks won the tournament with the OU/Miami result. Zwiesler and Backes join MVP Sarah Waldorf on the all-tourney team.
          Congrats to all of them, especially Waldo. If she can continue to step up and be the 4th straight big time libero this program has had, it makes us so much better.

Also, did the fact that WSU won 8 sets vs 7 for Miami and 6 for OU mean that we won outright, since otherwise it was a 3-way tie?
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I thought Jada played well in her first minutes tonight. She seemed comfortable and not too nervous. She hit the ball fairly well, and really looked like she belonged out there.

She subbed in with Chelsey, a departure from the Feekin-Sanders combo of the previous 2 matches.

This same UTA team could have, if not should have, beat Miami the previous night and there is no way they take 1 of 50 sets from WSU. That's how odd the Miami match was.

The Mad Hatter made a great point about consistency and experience. If this team can continue to develop and toughen, they are going to be really good.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
              Originally posted by Wuzee
              Congrats to all of them, especially Waldo. If she can continue to step up and be the 4th straight big time libero this program has had, it makes us so much better.

Also, did the fact that WSU won 8 sets vs 7 for Miami and 6 for OU mean that we won outright, since otherwise it was a 3-way tie?
              I think that they go to set winning pct.
              “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Congrats to Waldo for her MVP! Wonderful young woman both on and off the court. I believe that this is what Lambo was talking about when he spoke about leadership.

Comment

Not many, if any, Shocker fans would have predicted a tournament MVP for Waldo this past weekend. Congrats to her and, as TMH said, hopefully she is on her way to continuing the tradition of strong libero play of Augspurger, Broussard and Granville.

Set winning percentages at the OU Tournament:

Shocks 8-3 = 0.727
                  Sooners 6-4 = 0.600
                  Hurricanes 7-7 = 0.500

Comment

I think Doc was at the Tournament. Hopefully, we get a report on the Miami and UTA matches from Doc today to see what his on-the-scene impressions were.

Comment

Indeed I was. I posted in each of the threads, but am happy to answer any questions.

One thing after reading the paper this morning, when Lambo switched back to the 5-1 from the 6-2 in game 4, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but whatever Chelsey wasn't doing well, got a lot worse for WSU as a whole. That seemed like a really, really odd time to drastically alter course. I see where going back to what you are comfortable with is tempting, but as someone watching the action, I never really thought we were going to lose that match until the long point in the 5th at around 8 or 9 all.

It just seemed a bit quick on the trigger.

Comment

Augusta alumni Sarah Waldorf was named as the Nike Invitational 2010 MVP over the weekend for her play in the Oklahoma University Tournament and along with Newton alum Camri Zwiesler was selected to the All-Tournament team. Go KANSAS ATHLETES

Thank you coach for at least giving our Kansas ladies a chance to play at WSU

Comment

Working...
                        X