#2 USA vs #3 Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #2 USA vs #3 Russia

World League men's volleyball returns to Wichita with the #2 ranked USA men taking on the #3 ranked Russian team on Friday and Saturday, July 9th and July 10th.

This is another great event I attended last year and can highly recommend, at least if you like to see jaw-dropping, world-class power and athleticism in action.

Reserved seats are $25 and general admission $15 ($10 for military and $8 for older than 65 and 18 & under).

Go USA! :goshocks:

USA sweeps Russia 25-21, 27-25 and 25-23 in Friday's night match.

I was suprised by the sweep. Last year, with all due respect to the Netherlands, I thought the USA was clearly the better team.

Tonight, I did not think there was much to chose between the two teams. Russia definitely has some major league size. All 3 sets were close from beginning to end.

Not sure what the attendance was tonight. I would say around 4,000. A nice crowd but we can do better Wichita.

If you havn't seen these men in action you're missing a real treat. One more match tomorrow evening at 6:00 p.m. Initially, I was only going to tonight's match, but I may very well make it back out Saturday. Very impressive display of power and athleticism.

Go USA!

Comment

The crowd was a little bigger than I thought at 5,025 according to the Eagle online report. Pretty nice showing.

6,000 would be nice for Saturday.

BTW, sure like the court/floor they use for these matches.

Comment

I will be heading back to Koch Arena this evening for the 6 pm match with a group of 7 or 8 of us.

The USA probably needs to win this match 3-0 or 3-1 to gain a spot in the finals via the wild card berth. That will not be easy.

Shocker VB getting a lot of face time on the scoreboard promoting season ticket sales.

Go USA!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
          I will be heading back to Koch Arena this evening for the 6 pm match with a group of 7 or 8 of us.
          We will be there also!

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
          The USA probably needs to win this match 3-0 or 3-1 to gain a spot in the finals via the wild card berth. That will not be easy.
          Unfortunately, this is basically impossible. A 3-0 win give USA 26 points in Pool C, while Bulgaria already have 26 points in Pool A and have completed their matches.

The next tiebreaker is points ratio where Bulgaria have 1.076. The USA currently have 1000 points won v 985 points lost for a ratio of 1.015. If USA won all three matches 25-x, Russia can score no more than 14 points in the entire match.

I know, more than you wanted to know. :) But no matter, I will enjoy the match immensely, just seeing the talent on the floor.

Comment

The Russians flexed the muscles tonigth and dispatched the USA 3-1.

Word is that the Russian coach was not very happy with his team last night and looks like he lit a bit of a fire under them for tonights match.

The Russians blocking game was a big key tonight. The better team won.

The 7'1", 21 year old MB (#13) for the Russian team is pretty impressive. Looks a little like Bill Walton. He is going to be around in international VB for many years to come if his body holds up.

Comment

Originally posted by "flyingMoose
              Unfortunately, this is basically impossible. A 3-0 win give USA 26 points in Pool C, while Bulgaria already have 26 points in Pool A and have completed their matches.

The next tiebreaker is points ratio where Bulgaria have 1.076. The USA currently have 1000 points won v 985 points lost for a ratio of 1.015. If USA won all three matches 25-x, Russia can score no more than 14 points in the entire match.
              The main thing is that Argentina makes it to the finals as the host country. They were 0-10 coming into the final weekend.

Comment

Working...
              X