Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVCA poll - 11/5/07

Up to #24.

I guess it's better than going the other way.

Comment

I know some of the Volleyball players were expecting to jump 3 or 4 spots by beating such a high quality as MSU. I hope they don't get discouraged and just keep playing with something to prove.

Comment

You don't move up simply by beating a team that the pollsters think you should beat, especially at home. We moved up because Clemson lost.

We bascially made it into the poll due to avoiding losses ourselves during the past several weeks and the teams ranked higher losing to lower-ranked teams.

Comment

Nice that MSU (#30) didn't drop out of the voting.

With Santa Clara moving up to #26 that makes us 3-3 against the Top 30 this year.
          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Just keep winning and the rankings will take care of themselves.

As Royal points out the Shocks will move up ONLY if they keep winning and ONLY if teams ranked ahead of us lose matches they should win.

The Shocks can only control the 1st part of the equation.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

With the resurgence of Santa Clara of late.......I'm interested to see what the RPI looks like.

I feel like we've been treated less than kindly there......especially relative to MSU.

Over on ValleyTalk, very recently MSU sat at 28th vs. WSU 50th in the RPI. I didn't think MSU played that much better of a schedule than we did. Plus our two wins over them.......??

Comment

The Shocks seem like they have been disproportionately penalized for their home loss to UNI earlier in the year.

MSU beat UNI at home and the Shocks loss to UNI at home. MSU's win over Sacramento State and the Shocks win over Santa Clara are comparable quality wins.

The only common non-con opponents MSU and the Shocks have played was UMKC and ORU.

Beyond that WSU played the #10, #12, #22 and #26 in the current poll.

MSU has played #31 in the current poll.

Considering that and the fact the Shocks are 2-0 vs the Bears, it really is a head scratcher how their RPI can be better than the Shocks.

Comment

Please don't think I was saying they should move up that far. I was repeating what some of the players thought. But, when you are new to being in the top 25 of the polls it takes a while to .... well I can't ever understand the way polls work. Therefore, yes, just keep winning and the rest should hopefully take care of itself. But, I think that's what Greg Marshall got frustrated with at Winthrop. Keep winning and still get a low seat in the NCAA tournament because of the conference you play in. I think the WSU VB team possibly will have a similar experience to Winthrop BB did last year.

Comment

RKPI
                    28 Missouri State
                    38 Wichita State
                    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Pablo Rankings
                      1 Washington 10000
                      2 Nebraska 9970
                      3 Texas 9905
                      4 Stanford 9820
                      5 Penn State 9700
                      6 USC 9350
                      7 California 9185
                      8 Florida 9120
                      9 Wisconsin 9045
                      10 Kansas State 9025
                      11 UCLA 8860
                      12 Wichita State 8690
                      12 UNLV 8690
                      14 Oregon 8645
                      15 Hawaii 8605
                      15 Texas A&M 8605
                      17 Cal Poly 8595
                      18 Colorado State 8535
                      19 Ohio 8530
                      20 Oklahoma 8515
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Is the Pablo Rankings based on the same formula for the NCAA Official RPI?

Comment

Originally posted by lemuel777
                          Is the Pablo Rankings based on the same formula for the NCAA Official RPI?
                          No. Pablo is probably better at predicting the outcome of a match. The RPI is a joke IMHO.

Comment

FWIW, I think we're a little overrated by Pablo. We had three matches against fellow Pablo top-20 teams and lost them all.

I think 18-20 would be about right.

What's funny is how Duke is being treated by the polls. #14 in the AVCA (and around the same in VBMag) but nowhere to be found in the Pablo or Rich Kern polls.

Any surprise that the AVCA and VBMag polls are the less independent ones?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                              FWIW, I think we're a little overrated by Pablo. We had three matches against fellow Pablo top-20 teams and lost them all.

I think 18-20 would be about right.

What's funny is how Duke is being treated by the polls. #14 in the AVCA (and around the same in VBMag) but nowhere to be found in the Pablo or Rich Kern polls.

Any surprise that the AVCA and VBMag polls are the less independent ones?
                              Pablo:
                              37 Duke

RKPI:
                              26 Duke

Rich Kern poll:
                              19 Duke

Comment

Working...
                              X