Shocker Volleyball 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Volleyball 2010

Next year will be very interesting for Shocker VB. Lambo is facing his first truly rebuilding year (as opposed to reloading) in some time.

Emily Stockman was a superstar and will be very difficult if not impossible to replace.

Nevertheless Lambo has a lot of raw material to work with and the prospect of rebuilding the team may even energize Lambo.

On the outside he has Amanda Backes (5'11" but plays bigger), Emily Adney (6'2"), Dana Loganbill (6'1") and, hopefully, a fully-recovered Lindsey Eckenrode (6'2").

In the middle he has Sarah McGee (6'3"), Jada Witham (6'3"), Elizabeth Field (an athletic 6'1") and Ashley Andrade (6'2").

If nothing else Lambo looks to have some good size and athleticism to work with in the middle and on the outside.

We have a very experienced setter returning in Mary Elizableth and one of our more celebrated recruits in Chelsey Feekin. At 5'10" and 6'1" respectively we will have setters capable of battling at the net. How, Lambo choses to use Chelsey next year will be one of the more interesting things to follow next year.

Perhaps our biggest question mark will be our back row players. We have Waldo and Jackie returning but both need to step their games up significantly to give us the back row play we have grown accustomed to with Augspurger, Broussard and Granville. We have a redshirt freshman in Lindsey Engel out of Andale High.

Lambo may need to look at the JUCO ranks to see if he can find a good libero similar to what Creighton came up with in Nayka Benitez. Or maybe he will tinker with converting a little bigger player to the Libero positon ala Cara Hackmann (6'0") at MSU, although I don't know that we have any good candidates for that on our current roster.

UNI only loses 1 senior from this year's team so they will no doubt be the odds on favorite to repeat as MVC champs next year. MSU loses only 2 seniors and will probably be a solid pick for second behind UNI. After that who knows.

Another trip to the NCAA Tournament is probably a real long shot for the Shocks next year, but nevertheless it should be a fun year to see how a relatively new group of players will develop.

:goshocks:

Nice summary. I think we retutrn to the NCAA tourney in 2010, however. Except for the backrow players, we have enough pieces to compete for the MVC title. My respect for Lambo as a coach is constantly increasing.
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

The only proven pieces we have are Sarah McGee and Mary Elizabeth.

Beyond that we are dealing stricly with potential. Experience (or lack theref) is a huge factor.

Hope your right about another NCAA appearance. That would be fantastic coaching job if it happens. I will be very pleasantly surprised if that occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker

Beyond that we are dealing stricly with potential. Experience (or lack theref) is a huge factor.

Hope your right about another NCAA appearance. That would be fantastic coaching job if it happens. I will be very pleasantly surprised if that occurs.
        We have Lindsey also as a proven player.
        The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock

We have Lindsey also as a proven player.
          Lindsey pre-injury is a proven player. Lindsey post-injury is an unkown quantity at this point.

Comment

Amanda Backes has NCAA tourney experience and the potential to be a star if she ever gets her "VB smarts."

Lindsey Eckenrode relies as much on her knowledge of the game and ability to avoid attack (& other) errors as on pure athletic ability. She will be effective when she returns.

Sarah Waldorf & Jackie Church now have NCAA tourney experience.

Players who have limited minutes
            MBs - Jada Witham
            OHs - Emily Adney & Dana Loganbill

plus redshirt players
            MBs - Elizabeth Field & Ashley Andrade
            OHs - Katie Vogts, Brianna Kaiser, Alysa Heath, Haley Dotson & Sam Sanders
            S & DS - Lindsey Engel & Chelsey Feekin

will need to step up and perform.

However, a lineup of Sarah McGee (MB), Jada Witham (MB), Mary Elizabeth Hooper (S), Amanda Backes (OH), Lindsey Eckenrode (OH), Jackie Church (L), Sarah Waldorf (DS) looks pretty salty and only Witham lacks NCAA tourney experience. Could we say that going into the 2004 season?

Two 6'3" MBs, a smart 6'2" senior OH and an athletic 5'11" senior OH, MEH's blocking skills, etc. and the frontline looks good. If CF is as good as we hope and we play the 6-2, having enough experienced players will not be a big problem.
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

One area I think we need to see some improvemnt in is in the timing and connections between MEH (and/or Chelsey) and our middles, especially with Sarah.

Sarah is capable of having a big year if that happens.

Comment

As has been stated, backrow D is the primary concern. Keep in mind that Emily was almost as important on the back row as she was at the net -- second on the team in digs per set.

With Stock and Mel leaving, that's a lot to replace.

I can't wait to see the new girls this spring and see who's going to step up. Should be fun.

Go Shox!
                “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

From http://redbirdfan.com/msgforum/viewt...12419&start=30

Originally posted by Backcourt Magician
                  As long as Chris is coaching WSU and the Shox continue to be able to redshirt tremendous amounts of talent, I expect WSU to be atop the Valley for many years. Trust a Redbird fan to know this, when you have a really good vball coach, do whatever it takes within your resources to keep him or her.

Comment

Working...
                  X