AVCA Poll, 10-29-2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVCA Poll, 10-29-2007

The new AVCA poll comes out later today. In front of us, Sac State lost to Northern Colorado, LSU lost to #10 Florida, #22 Minnesota lost twice, #20 Michigan lost twice, #18 Colorado State lost once, #16 Oregon lost once, #13 New Mexico State lost to #11 Hawaii and #12 USD lost to San Francisco. Behind us, UNLV beat #18 CSU and Purdue lost twice.

My guess is: Miami (OH) and Purdue get no votes. UNLV gets 50+ more votes. Sac State falls behind WSU. Michigan and Minnesota each drop about three places in the poll. I think WSU jumps over Sac State but UNLV might jump over us. So WSU somewhere between 26 and 28 in the poll later today.

12 San Diego 16-6 L 0-3 (USF)
    13 New Mexico State 19-4 L 0-3 (Hawaii)
    14 Duke 17-4 W 3-0 (Boston C)
    15 Kansas State 17-6 W 3-0 (Missouri), W 3-1 (ISU)
    16 Oregon 16-7 W 3-0 (AZ), L 1-3 (ASU)
    17 Dayton 23-1 W 3-1 (Duquesne), W 3-1 (St. Louis)
    18 Colorado State 15-5 L 0-3 (UNLV)
    19 Ohio 19-4 W 3-0 (Akron), W 3-0 (Buffalo)
    20 Michigan 17-7 L 2-3 (Northwestern), L 1-3 (MSU)
    21 Oklahoma 18-5 W 3-1 (CU), W 3-1 (TAMU)
    22 Minnesota 12-10 L 0-3 (PSU), L 2-3 (OSU)
    23 St. John's 23-3 W 3-0 (DePaul)
    24 Cal Poly 16-7 W 3-1 (UC Davis)
    25 Louisville 16-5 W 3-0 (Rutgers)
    26 LSU 18-7 W 3-2 (ND), L 0-3 (Florida)
    27 Sacramento State 22-4 L 2-3 (No. Colo.)
    28 Wichita State 21-4 W 3-1 (SIU), W 3-0 (Evansville)
    29 Clemson 20-2 W 3-0 (NC St.), W 3-1 (UNC)
    30 Missouri State 23-3 W 3-0 (Evansville), W 3-1 (SIU)
    31 UNLV 17-3 W 3-0 (CSU)
    32 Middle Tennessee 26-2 W 3-0 (Florida Atlantic), W 3-1 (FIU)
    33 Purdue 13-10 L 0-3 (Illinois), L 1-3 (Wisc.)
    34 Long Beach State 15-6 W 3-0 (UC Irvine), W 3-0 (UC Riverside)
    35 Miami (OH) 13-8 L 1-3 (BGSU), W 3-1 (NIU)
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

I still don't think they'd put us in even if we were undefeated. VB seems to be the one sport the good 'ol boy network really is in effect in.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
      I still don't think they'd put us in even if we were undefeated. VB seems to be the one sport the good 'ol boy network really is in effect in.
      Maybe in the NCAA Selection Committee not so much in the polls. If we finish the season with only one conference loss, then I expect we will move into the Top 25.

We have tough matches remaining with MSU and Creighton at home and with UNI on the road.

We also have Drake at home and Bradley on the road which won't do much to help us in the rankings.

However, that being said this Friday's match is the most important thing we have to deal with right now as it will have a big impact on the regular season Championship and the possiblity of an at-large berth into the NCAA Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
        Originally posted by rrshock
        Maybe in the NCAA Selection Committee not so much in the polls. If we finish the season with only one conference loss, then I expect we will move into the Top 25.

We have tough matches remaining with MSU and Creighton at home and with UNI on the road.

We also have Drake at home and Bradley on the road which won't do much to help us in the rankings.

However, that being said this Friday's match is the most important thing we have to deal with right now as it will have a big impact on the regular season Championship and the possiblity of an at-large berth into the NCAA Tournament.
        I agree. Win out and there will be enough losses ahead of us to get us into the Top 25. Lose one match and our at-large chances decrease a lot IMHO.
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

In listening to Lambo's post-game on Saturday, he was actually hopeful the MVC might squeeze three teams into the post-season. So maybe he's getting some info that the MVC is gaining some respect amongst the VB community, which is really the VB-cognizent administrators on the selection committee.

Comment

The pollsters seem to have loooooooooong memories and little objectivity.

Let's look at Ohio for a minute.

They played in an early season tourney where they beat #9 Minnesota and #12 San Diego.

At the time seemingly very solid wins and I do not for one minute want to totally dismiss those wins. They are impressive.

However Minnesota has 10 losses now.....that's just above .500. San Diego has some nice wins but if you look a little deeper, 6 losses and, oops, one of those to Santa Clara AT HOME 3-1, a team WSU swept.

Ohio also snuck by Denver 3-2, a team WSU dismantled in Denver in what was in all likelyhood their biggest home game all season. They also lost to Alabama. I am fairly certain a MVC team throttled the Tide but I am not positive.

My point? There are several teams that have pluses and minuses but it still appears to me the Valley is not getting enough respect and WSU in particular (as well as Missouri State) deserve to be in the mix as much or more than anyone else. The pollsters still believe that if you are in the Big (fill in your favorite bcs # or direction) then you must be better, regardless of the facts.

Now let's just hope they don't stick us in the Nebraska regional AGAIN. This time we do not deserve it.

I will say that if we would have managed to win any one of the 4 matches we lost (especially the HI match) I think we would have been in the top 20 and would probably still be there.

All this being said, with the program where it is today, we have to continue to upgrade the schedule. We have to eliminate the road kill or at least limit it to 1 match a year. The Valley is simply not strong enough (top to bottom) to prepare this team for the tourney. We need to be playing the best schools we can get, where ever and when ever we can.

You would think playing in front of 2-3k would entice someone to make the trip here but I doubt it so its time to warm up the bus and play schools at their place if that's what it takes to get good matches.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Dr. I believe Lambo has done a very good job scheduling this year compared to others. Yes there is road kill, but it would be very difficult to play a schedule that didn't have it on there. A match vs Nebraska would be nice, and they might even return the trip. Who knows.

And to be in the top 25 doesn't mean squat. Just ask the team 2 years ago what being ranked does for a post season berth. Maybe the committe is warming up to the MVC, but until they actually get someone other than the tourney winner in, I won't buy into it. WSU has done what it needs to do to get into the NCAAs, but for whatever reason, the committe thinks it is more important to put teams like barely above .500 Minnesota in instead. WSU would probably make more money at a regional than many of the top tier schools would as well, but money doesn't seem to matter either.

Comment

Maybe JS needs to put a non-traditional "buy" game together to get a Big 10 or a Wash, Stanford, UCLA, USC type of team to CKA.

I wonder how much it would take . . . $20-$25k? Or is that not enough for those big athletic departments to sneeze at?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                  Maybe JS needs to put a non-traditional "buy" game together to get a Big 10 or a Wash, Stanford, UCLA, USC type of team to CKA.

I wonder how much it would take . . . $20-$25k? Or is that not enough for those big athletic departments to sneeze at?
                  So we pay them that kind of money, and then probably have to return one to them the next year? Surely someone would bite at that, wouldn't they?

Comment

As for the poll, Minnesota and Michigan should drop out. But they'll likely still get enough votes to stay ahead of us.

Minnesota - The loss to PSU won't hurt, but another loss to a team getting no votes, bringing their total losses to 11 should get them punted.

Michigan lost to two teams not getting votes. That should be worth 6-8 spots, 3-4 spots for each loss.

UNLV was only getting 22 votes, compared to our 76.

Those spots from 24 to 28 are going to get tighter, IMO.

Comment

We're in at #25!!!!

Comment

Let's get a big crowd for Friday!!

Comment

Now that I'm over the elation of getting into the poll, why in the heck does Clemson jump over us???

The ACC is not good and they beat two mediocre (at best) teams in NC State and UNC this week.

Yet their votes go from 57 to 136 (+79) and WSU goes from 76 to 112 (+36).

I guess conference politics are still alive and well in the AVCA poll.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                            Now that I'm over the elation of getting into the poll, why in the heck does Clemson jump over us???

The ACC is not good and they beat two mediocre (at best) teams in NC State and UNC this week.

Yet their votes go from 57 to 136 (+79) and WSU goes from 76 to 112 (+36).

I guess conference politics are still alive and well in the AVCA poll.

That they are Royal, that they are. I also refer you to my comments on Ohio and San Diego......I can't wait to look at Oregon State to what sham they have put together to get that high losing that many matches.

Nevertheless, a tremendous accomplishment for a terrific program. I am certain that I'm looking towards Friday with more excitment than I am Saturday.

And I am really pumped about Saturday!

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

You have to wonder when you see things like this at the bottom of the poll:
                              Four schools were listed on only one ballot for a total of 26 points.
                              What???

Assuming a team gets 1 pt for a #25 ranking, what the heck are four of the voters doing? 26 points, for four teams that each appear on only one ballot? There must be some serious homerism, whether it's team or conference, going on.

Comment

Working...
                              X