Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shocks vs Evansville and SIU

:clap: :goshocks: :clap:

Nice win. Hate to lose a set to UE but I'll take the win.

Any comments on Sarah Waldorf? On her serving? Service Reception?
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
      Nice win. Hate to lose a set to UE but I'll take the win.

Any comments on Sarah Waldorf? On her serving? Service Reception?
      Sarah's serve has been great for us all year. Shares the team lead in aces with Stockman at 18 and has one less service error than Emily. She has been responsible for a a lot of good service runs throughout the year.

Serve receive continues to be an adventure. Oddly, it seems that she struggles a lot more with balls served short to her than serves to either side of her. Her passing generally just seems really erratic. She goes through stretches of looking great, then misses an easy play. Just from the stands, it looks to me like she sometimes lets nerves get the best of her. She has the tools to be really good, and hopefully she can put it all together on a consistent basis going forward.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I agree,
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I think TMH has some good observations about Waldo. She definitely has the physcial ability, but she can spray it around at times and she seems to be the most consistent "over-passer" on the team. I wonder if she doesn't tend to defer somewhat to her more experienced and celebrated teammates at times which causes her to react late to a lot of balls.

Her service game is the strongest part of her game IMO. She will sit back their and make a head scratching play on serve receive and then nail an ace on her next service rotation to make up for it. Nevetheless, just offsetting errors is not acceptable for Shocker Volleyball.

Comment

We played pretty good from the middle of Set 2 forward, but this team too often goes into funks where they play really poorly for extended stretches of time. The 1st half of Set 2 being the prime example last night. Fortunately, the came out of it in time to win the match relatively easily, but it is much harder to get away with that against the top half of the league.

It certainly looks like other teams have figured out Hoop's attacks and she may be even be tipping her attacks somehow as Evansville seemed to be right on about everything she tried last night. She was 2-3-10 last night and in her last 4 matches she is 6-11-50 on her attacks. The opposing setters are 10-1-27 during those 4 matches. I'm thinking less may be more for Hoop. Perhaps the element of surprise would boost her effectiveness. Whether she is telegraphing her attacks or whether other teams have simply figured out how to best defend her attacks I don't know, but her attack percentage is way down this year.

Hopefully, the Shocks will put a consistent, clean effort on the floor tonight.

Comment

I don't like people making excuses for Waldo; essentially blaming Melissa for Waldo's errors is not acceptable to me.

If we run a 5-1 next year, I wonder if Hooper or Feekin will be our setter. MEH's attacks (dumps) have seemingly been figured out by other MVC teams. Feekin has 3 inches on Hooper, was said (with regard to her high school and club play) to be a great hitter and probably sets the ball as well as Hooper. I have no information on this and we might run a 6-2 in 2010. Watching the matches at CKA, I see acceptable sets but not great sets. (Passing plays a role here, of course.)

PS I'm not "pro or "anti" Hooper; I just want the best team WSU can put on the court.

Comment

I don't like people making excuses for Waldo; essentially blaming Melissa for Waldo's errors is not acceptable to me.
                I must have missed that. Was that on another thread?

Comment

Look at Kim's play!!
                  9 Wadsworth, Kim...... 4| 13 2 23 .478| 0| 1 1| 0| 2| 0 1 0| 0| 14.5

Compare:

4 Waldorf, Sarah...... 4| 0 0 0 .000| 1| 1 3| 3| 11| 0 0 0| 0| 1.0

8 Granville, Melissa.. 4| 0 0 0 .000| 3| 0 1| 2| 22| 0 0 0| 0| 0.0

10 Church, Jackie...... 4| 0 0 0 .000| 1| 1 1| 0| 6| 0 0 0| 0| 1.0

Waldo: 1 SA, 3 SE, 3 SRV RE, 11 DEF Digs (+ 1 SET A)
                  Melissa: 0 SA, 1 SE, 2 SRV RE, 22 DEF Digs (+3 SET A)
                  Jackie: 1 SA, 1 SE, 0 SRV RE, 6 DEF Digs (+1 SET A)

Both Mel & Waldo need to improve service reception and passing. Who will be libero in 2010?

Comment

If we run a 5-1 next year, I wonder if Hooper or Feekin will be our setter. MEH's attacks (dumps) have seemingly been figured out by other MVC teams. Feekin has 3 inches on Hooper, was said (with regard to her high school and club play) to be a great hitter and probably sets the ball as well as Hooper. I have no information on this and we might run a 6-2 in 2010. Watching the matches at CKA, I see acceptable sets but not great sets. (Passing plays a role here, of course.)
                    Something to think about (and I must admit that these same thoughts have crossed my mind). MEH has contributed a lot the past two years and you want her to do well, but if Chelsey can beat her out fair and square then so be it. Although I'm sure MEH won't give up her position without a fight and, in fact, may prove to be difficult to dislodge.

Going back to the 6-2 we ran in the Andee and Abby days is certainly an interesting possibility. With the graduation of Emily and Mel, Lambo might go with this in order to have 3 attackers in the front court at all times. With Mel graduation he may or may not have the pieces to play the 3 littles across the back line as much as he has the past couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                      I think TMH has some good observations about Waldo. She definitely has the physcial ability, but she can spray it around at times and she seems to be the most consistent "over-passer" on the team. I wonder if she doesn't tend to defer somewhat to her more experienced and celebrated teammates at times which causes her to react late to a lot of balls.
                      We have three "littles" who play, Mel (senior), Waldo (sophomore) & Church (freshman). The only "little" with more experience to whom Sarah might defer is Mel. (Perhaps Emily was supposed to be included? In this case, the comment above was not aimed solely at Mel.)

Comment

Look at Kim's play!!
                        9 Wadsworth, Kim...... 4| 13 2 23 .478| 0| 1 1| 0| 2| 0 1 0| 0| 14.5

Both Mel & Waldo need to improve service reception and passing. Who will be libero in 2010?
                        Kim was terrific last night. Gotta love a kid who has hung in there like Kim has even though she always seemed stuck behind a player just a little bit better. Finally, getting her chance and is taking advantage of the opportunity. Great to see.

Right now it seems like Stephanie is the player left out of the mix, although it's possible her feet/legs maybe bothering her (although I have no info regarding her injury or playing status).

Lambo seems to like the mix of players he has right now. Athletically, Katie and Amanda can really make some Wow :yahoo: plays, but they are also prone to the occassional :oops: If one or both of them can bring the :yahoo: play consistently we can get to where we want to be.

The Libero position for next year would seem to be wide open with Waldo, Jackie and redshirt Lindsey Engel all in the mix plus the possibility of new recruits to stir the pot a little. Maybe that is how he will use Chelsey Feekin (I post that with tongue firmly planted in cheek, although look at what MSU is doing with Cara Hackmann). I'm looking for my magic 8-ball on this one.

Comment

Shocks sweep SIU 25-20, 25-20 and 25-16 in a match the seemed to have an odd feel to it. Early on both teams were playing pretty sloppy.

Shocks did enough to win and showed good balance again. Still struggling with their passing at times although seemed to get better in Set 3.

Drake knocked of Creighton tonight in Des Moines.

MSU had to go 5 to defeat Evansville, but managed a 15-11 win in Set 5.

So probably shouldn't complain too much about a sweep over SIU, although I think we will have to play better too take care of business vs UNI and MSU.

Next two Friday's may tell the tale of this season for the Shocks. UNI next Friday in Cedar Falls and MSU the following Friday at home.

Comment

I have been mostly quiet on the happenings of the volleyball team of late for a couple of reasons.

My parents taught me if I can't say something nice (unless it comes to politics when you have to set the nutjobs straight) don't say anything at all.

Coach Turgeon told us years ago to "enjoy the ride". Along with many fans (myself included), this team could heed those words. They are not having fun. SIU had fun last night.....WSU did not and I believe has not for quite awhile.

I love everything about WSU volleyball, and I understand the pressure AND will to be successful by the players and coaches, but right now this team has lost their way. No doubt some deficiencies have been exposed on the court and the squad is not at all close to the level of play of last year's team, but until they recapture the love and enjoyment of competing and are able to embrace the pressure of competition without being worn down by it, imho, they will not achieve the success for which they strive to attain.

I want to see these girls smile again. We as fans could also use an attitude adjustment.....winning should not be so summarily dismissed when it's not as convincing as we think it should be.....

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Good point, Doc. Looking forward to the Shocks getting back in the thick of the MVC Championships race next weekend.

Ideally, the Shocks will knock of UNI on Friday and UNI knocks off MSU on Saturday pulling the Shocks within 1 match of the co-leaders.

Evansville and SIU played both the Shocks and the Bears tough this weekend. I wonder if these teams might yet have a say in how this race turns out as WSU, UNI and MSU all still have the EU, SIU road swing to face.

:goshocks:

Comment

Working...
                              X