MVC Respect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVC Respect

I was perusing the Volleyball rankings from last week and it simply affirms the belief that MVC schools simply are not respected by the Volleyball community. Just as in 2005 when we were screwed out of a bid, now the better teams just don't get the props they should.

Cases in point:

No MVC team is getting any votes.

Arkansas, Sacramento State and Tennessee all get votes.

Missouri State beat the big Sac and is 8-2.

Creighton beat Tennessee 3-0 and 3 of their 4 losses are to ranked teams.

Illinois State won't finish above 4 maybe 5 in the Valley and they were competitive with SSU.

We are 6-3 with all 3 losses to ranked teams and 1 win against a ranked team and also were tough in 2 of the 3 losses.

UNI is 5-5 but 3 losses are to ranked teams and they spanked Arkansas 3-0.

Yes, there are some weak teams. Bradley, Drake, Evansville and ISU (blue) are really poor. SIU is 8-2 against a weak schedule.

The rest of the conference is tough and capable of beating a lot of teams night in and night out.

This conference is certainly as strong as the SEC imho.

I'm not saying that we should have 3 teams ranked, but the Volleyball world still looks down their collective noses at the midwest and smaller schools and we fit both of those criteria.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Very well said, Doc. Hard to take issue with anything you said.

Comment

Doc: When you're right, you're right. :yes:
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I believe that'll change this week. WSU played well against ranked teams and should get some votes. Also Creighton might get some after their match against Tennesse.

Comment

Which rankings were you looking at? If it was the ACVA remember they're the ones who left us in the top 25 a couple years ago even though we didn't make the tournament. They respect a team for what it accomplishes. If it's the NCAA poll we all know how screwed up the NCAA is.

Comment

I don't know of another poll other than the CSTV/AVCA Poll. The NCAA does not put out a poll as far as I know.

I failed to mention, and at the same time perhaps too quick to condemn the Redbirds to the 4th or 5th spot in the MVC, that ISU Red's only other loss was to the 6th ranked Florida Gators. They lost in three games but the final 2 were very competitive.

Comment

Hmmm. The Big XII is a "midwest" conference and gets plenty of respect.

:D

Comment

Originally posted by BCSCat
                Hmmm. The Big XII is a "midwest" conference and gets plenty of respect.

:D
                So you admit an obvious big conference bias.
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I don't agree that the AVCA is bias. They stood up for WSU in 2005 and they don't have a problem putting the best teams in their polls. There are a lot of teams in that poll who are not from "bcs" conferences.

Comment

How do you expect the nation to recognize us when the Wichita Eagle website didn't even have a single story on WSU volleyball the entire weekend? :rant:

Comment

Originally posted by dregn
                      How do you expect the nation to recognize us when the Wichita Eagle website didn't even have a single story on WSU volleyball the entire weekend? :rant:
                      I held off bitching about this myself because I only read the online edition and I assumed it was an oversite.

Please tell me there was at least a blurb in today's paper?!?!

Goshockers.com had stories about the matches up in a very timely manner. That the Eagle did not is extremely dissappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by dregn
                        I held off bitching about this myself because I only read the online edition and I assumed it was an oversite.

Please tell me there was at least a blurb in today's paper?!?!

Goshockers.com had stories about the matches up in a very timely manner. That the Eagle did not is extremely dissappointing.

Comment

I doubt that the a poll has come out since our matches against Santa Clara and Hawaii. Am I correct?
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                            I doubt that the a poll has come out since our matches against Santa Clara and Hawaii. Am I correct?
                            Correct. The next AVCA poll comes out later today. If we had beaten Hawaii, I'm sure we would have been in the Top 25. We still might but who knows? (I really wanted to beat Hawaii!!!)

2007 Division I Grand Club
                            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I doubt we'll be ranked after having gotten no votes last week. I'm guessing we'll be in the middle of the "others getting votes" pack.

Comment

Working...
                              X