Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
    Compare our attendance with Northern Iowa:

North Texas-WSU: 2147
    KSU-WSU: 6024
    Cal Poly-WSU: 1591

Western Michigan-UNI: 1861
    Wright State-UNI: 1142
    Kentucky-UNI: 1571

Our disappointing attendance against Cal Poly beat two of UNI's three game attendance figures and our total attendance of 9762 is more than double UNI's total of 4574.
    I understand your point SF316. We shouldn't complain too much considering what most of our peers are doing.

Missouri State did even worse. It hosted a 5 team tournament this past weekend. In 4 matches the Bears had an average attendance of 658. And the Bears won all 4 matches, including a nice 3-2 win over Sacramento State.

For an MSU fan, watching Katelyn Panzau play, if nothing else, is worth the price of admission.

Comment

No arguement from me '72. Katelyn is impressive to say the least.

Comment

SekShocker, here is a primer on the use of the Libero if you would like to delve into it further.

I think the Libero (Italian for "free") was added to the College women's game in 2002 and has become a very important part of the game.

Comment

If WSU would have beat K-State Saturday, there would have been at least twice as many watching the Cal Poly match. People love winners and unfortunely when you don't win, people don't get into it as much. Of course there's always exceptions, but generally speaking. When WSU VB starts winning in Hawaii and the MVC (September 15th) and then gets into the rankings, the attendance will go up to the level of 3,000 or more. No doubt about it.

Comment

Like I said I fully enjoyed my first volleyball game experience, and I wished I lived closed so that I could make to all the games, but I will with out a doubt try and make it to at least a couple more on the weekends.

Thanks a lot for the links and information '72.

:goshocks: :goshocks:
            THERE ARE FLOCKS OF BIRDS AND MANY A CAT ------ BUT ONLY ONE WUSHOCK!

Comment

I don't know what we report our attendance at (tickets sold) but I went to our game against ORU last night and there were about 100 people there, including the 30 or so in the band. I mean granted it was a Tuesday night...but dang, it sucks.

I wish more people would come to our games but I guess it's a hard sell since Volleyball isn't that big of a deal in the high schools around here.

What time do your games start? I think 7 is too late for a weekday. It would probably help if they would promote it. After meeting our women's athletic dept marketing director though, I realized he's only really interested in basketball.

Back when our baseball team used to draw just a couple of thousand for even the best opponent, I always said if people just come to one game they will get hooked, and it turned out to be true. Everybody I talk to at games now says I can't believe we never did this in the past.

The same is true for volleyball. It is hands down the most exciting of the women's sports (miles ahead of women's basketball, in my opinion).

Comment

UNI fans: :lol: "Looks as if we are the team to beat in the Valley this year....but what else is new."
                Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                  I think the Libero (Italian for "free") was added to the College women's game in 2002 and has become a very important part of the game.
                  That's what I remember as well. I only remember reading about it in KSU's student newspaper the year after I attended my first matches (which was the last home regular season against Texas A&M and the first NCAA regional match in Ahearn against Arkansas, both 5-game matches KSU won in 2001) which would have made it 2002. I remember Laura Downey Wallace playing the position for KSU for her last two years.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                    ). Unfortunatelyy, the MSU match is on a Friday even though that is our only match that weekend. Not sure why we would not play that on Saturday (that is also MSU's only match that weekend).
                    I think the reason for this is the valley has travel partners. Not positive but I think I heard about this somewhere. WSU and MSU, Creighton and Drake, ISU and ISU, SIU and Evansville, and UNI and Bradley are travel partners so when we go to say Creighton and Drake we play at CU on friday and DU on saturday, while at the same time MSU plays DU on friday and CU on saturday. So on the return trip while we're playing Drake, Creighton is playing MSU, then they switch the next night. I'm guessing if you look at all the Valley schedules for the weekend of Nov. 2/3 all the Valley teams only have one conferance game because they are playing their travel partner (notice on the schedule that the week we play @MSU it is also the only game that weekend).

Comment

Yes, I understand that WSU and MSU are travel partners and I have posted about that previously.

That is, in fact, why WSU and MSU have only one MVC match the two weekends they play each other. It has been that way as long as I have followed Shocker VB (since 2003).

However, since they both have only one MVC match that weekend and since niether has scheduled a non-con match that weekend then you would think that they would have the flexibility to schedule the match for either Friday or Saturday. IMO, a Saturday match would be better for attendance.

Comment

Penn State @ Wisconsin October 21, 2007
                        "Attendance was 10,326, the first sell-out at the fieldhouse for volleyball." http://volleytalk.proboards88.com/in...981407&page=10

Koch Arena holds ... http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticl...&ATCLID=613212 ... 10,512 (???). I thought it was 10,400. In any case, WSU can beat this sell-out in Madison!!!
                        :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
                        :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks:

Sorry, I forgot to add: Fri, Nov 02 Missouri State * - - Wichita, Kan. 7 p.m.

Friday, November 2- 7 p.m.
                        VB vs. Missouri State
                        $1 Night

Friday, November 9- 7 p.m.
                        VB vs. Drake
                        Bring your Nov. 8 Men's Basketball game ticket stub and get in for $4

Saturday, November 10- 7 p.m.
                        VB vs. Creighton
                        Senior Night
                        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Are you suggesting that our combined attendance for those three remaining home matches would beat the 10,326 that attended the Penn State - Wisconsin match?

If that's the case, then we have a very outside shot at it. However, I would not bet on it.

Comment

I agree....there just continues to be a lack of a ground swell of support for the most under rated and under appreciated sport in the Shocker arsenal.

Since we know we won't sell out....how about a campaign to bump the attendance, if even by KState standards?

$1 sounds like a good way to simply increase my "Match Club" donation.

I think I'll buy 100 tickets or so just to support the cause.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                              I agree....there just continues to be a lack of a ground swell of support for the most under rated and under appreciated sport in the Shocker arsenal.
                              It is what it is, I suppose.

Thank goodness we had K-State on the schedule this year. If not we would be averaging about 200 fewer fans than we did last year. Those $29 season tickets we had last year I suppose account for much of this.

Looks like our fan support may have peaked and is now falling back 10% or so. That is disappointing.

Obviously, most WSU students and Men's Basketball fans do not share our enthusiam for Shocker Volleyball. I don't think there is much that can be done about that short of making it to the Final Four, and then that kind of bandwagon support generally is pretty fickle.

I'm going to continue to enjoy Shocker Volleyball, even if others decline to join in the fun.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                                $1 sounds like a good way to simply increase my "Match Club" donation.

I think I'll buy 100 tickets or so just to support the cause.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:
                                I was thinking along those same lines. Maybe donating those tickets to Big Brothers-Big Sisters or the Boys and Girls Clubs.

Comment

Working...
                                X