Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1972, Am I the only one that missed this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972, Am I the only one that missed this?

I know its spring, but without any report on our side, on the surface it seems bothersome.

I really want to see the ladies get after it this spring.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

I don't find it overally bothersome. We have two huge holes to fill and a lot of pieces that could fit the puzzle. Lots of work to do this spring to find out who gets to play where. Also a lot of learning to do by the players to figure out how to play without Sara and with a new setter.

Comment

Originally posted by dregn
      I don't find it overally bothersome. We have two huge holes to fill and a lot of pieces that could fit the puzzle. Lots of work to do this spring to find out who gets to play where. Also a lot of learning to do by the players to figure out how to play without Sara and with a new setter.
      Ditto. There are few coaches that fiddle with lineups more than Lamb does, and he has publicly stated that he doesn't care about winning the spring matches. He uses these matches to try new combinations of players and try new approaches, not to try to win. Our record in the spring is rarely very good, and it has yet to correlate with poor play in the real season.

As dregn mentioned, we are working in a new setter, so while it is valuable to get her a lot of reps, even if normally Lamb wanted to win in the spring, it would be harder for us this year than in years that we had a returning setter who already had played with our hitters.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I agree. The scores of spring matches are not significant. With Mary Elizabeth Hooper replacing Abby Harsh as setter and with Sara's departure as a senior, we have lots of work to do. Remember that we started the 2007 season playing the 6-2 (for one match) and then switched to the 5-1; Lamb could have been trying out all kinds of lineups.

We are bringing back lots of defensive strengths.
        L Kelly Broussard
        MB Stephanie Tokarz, Angela Jakubov, Sarah McGee, Katie Niggemeyer
        DS/L Melissa Granville

Our offense will probably be based on Stephanie's high hitting percentage plus
        OH Emily Stockman, Lindsey Eckenrode, Amanda Moore, Kim Wadsworth, Valeen Finney, Amanda Backes

New (or redshirt) members of the team will be L Sarah Waldorf, S Mary Elizabeth Hooper, OH Peyton Thompson, MB Tina Frick and OH Dana Loganbill.

We might play the 6-2 with S Mary Elizabeth Hooper (5'10") & Kaitlyn Anderson (5'8") but our lack of height makes this seem unlikely. Chris will try anything, however, and see what works. I'm sure the spring matches in CORAL GABLES represented such experimentation. Why don't you ask Chris on April 5?
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Eagle shows spring volleyball matches at Koch this next saturday. The one weekend I'm out of town this month. Hopefully someone can go watch and tell us about some of the new players who might be playing already.

Comment

Lamb already indicated last year that he would like to play a 5-1 given the type of setter Mary is. Like Panzau, Mary is a strong attacker and blocker, so the 5-1 makes the most sense since it gets her more rotations at the net.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Match Club members received a notice about next week matches a while back from Shannon Lamb.

Shannon warned fans that if they attended to keep in mind that they do a lot of experimentation with the team in the Spring.

Last year for example we lost to North Texas State in the Spirng training season and then wiped them out when we played them in the regular season.

I'm not concerned about the results. As others have pointed out we have two very BIG HOLES to fill so I'm sure Lambo has his chemistry set going 24-7 figuring out how he wants to attacke things this year.

Comment

Each spring Lambo trys many new things on offense and defense. I am sure we had many people playing and playing in different positions. I predict by late August we will be a dominate team, running a 6-1 or a 5-2 based on who shows up in August.
                GO SHOX!

Comment

Don't know who we will play, but there are some excellent teams in this group - including the last National Champion - Penn State

April 12 the Shocks will travel to Houston, Texas, to take part in the third-annual Texas Tornados College Spring Tournament. Teams participating in the 24-program field include Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M, as well as national champion Penn State and four additional NCAA qualifiers (New Mexico State, Texas State, USC, Wichita State).
                  GO SHOX!

Comment

I'm looking forward to national titles in baseball and volleyball in 2008. (Good thing this is 4/1/08. :good: )
                    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Working...
                    X