No announcement yet.

2016 MVC Volleyball Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something Jody can lay claim to is that she lead the Shockers to their 2nd consecutive Valley Tournament Win which is the 1st time in program history that the Shocks have won back-to-back Valley Tournament Championships.

It certainly wasn't easy and the Shockers had to work very hard both last year and this year to accomplish this.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 26, 2016, 07:20 PM.

Comment

is the valley a 2 bid league for the NCAA?

missouri state and wsu? or is UNI also a possibility?

Comment

Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
        is the valley a 2 bid league for the NCAA?

missouri state and wsu? or is UNI also a possibility?
        UNI is a possibility. Perhaps on the bubble. Missouri State is not a slam dunk but winning 17 of their last 18 is pretty strong so I think they are likely in.

Last year the Vallley got 4 teams in.

Comment

Congrats ladies!

The Class of the Valley rolls on!
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Interesting that Lily Johnson was not named to the all-tournament team, although I think there is a reasonable case to be made for the decision. For all the kills she racked up, she wasn't very efficient. She certainly was outplayed by both Jody and Tabitha in the finals.

I was wondering what reaction MSU fans would have to her exclusion, but I guess I'll never know since the entire discussion of the MVC tournament consists of a single post on a single thread announcing that they were in the finals.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              UNI is a possibility. Perhaps on the bubble. Missouri State is not a slam dunk but winning 17 of their last 18 is pretty strong so I think they are likely in.

Last year the Vallley got 4 teams in.
              Bracketology has both Missouri State and Northern Iowa receiving an at-large bid. I can post his stuff when I have more time this afternoon.

Comment

the MVC-related bracketology comments:

Conference Champions (Auto-Qualifiers):
                • MVC – Wichita State (estimated RPI: 21)

SAFEST THREE Bubble Teams
                • Pittsburgh (39)
                • Marquette (41)
                • Washington State (42)

THE FOUR BEFORE the "Last Four":
                • Baylor (43) -
                • Missouri State (44) - Speaking of Bears and squads led by one dominant player - let me introduce you to another safe at-large team, Lily Johnson and the Missouri State Bears. Mo State has a top-25 win over Wichita State, Ohio State, and two wins over Northern Iowa. They also beat Illinois. Four solid wins, and the fifth one against a team just outside the top 50 but competing for an at-large. Gotta give a bid to Missouri State. Given the other bubble teams, there's no excuse to leave them out.
                • Northern Iowa (45) - UNI has some really solid victories on their resume. They beat top-25 Wichita State (twice). They also beat Kentucky, Iowa State, and Miami(OH), who is a bubble team. There's no way with that resume that anyone can leave out UNI. The bubble is weak around them, it's not going to happen. UNI makes yet another trip to the NCAA Tournament.
                • Southern California (48)

LAST FOUR IN
                • Miami-Ohio (40)
                • Cincinnati (38)
                • Colorado State (46)
                • UNLV (33)

FIRST FOUR OUT
                • Temple (47)
                • Illinois (56)
                • Alabama (53)
                • Xavier (59)

NEXT FOUR OUT
                • Georgia Tech (49)
                • Cal Poly (54)
                • Indiana (68)
                • NC State (66)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Projected NCAA Tournament Bracket
                (4) Kansas vs. Fairfield
                Creighton vs. Missouri State

(11) Missouri vs. Murray State
                Wichita State vs. Purdue

(2) Minnesota vs. North Dakota
                Northern Iowa vs. Washington State

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Bubble Team Résumés
                Missouri State
                Record: (25-8, 16-2)
                RPI: 44
                Non-Conf RPI: 62
                Record against Top 50 RPI: 4-6
                Record against 1-25 RPI: 1-4
                Record against 26-50 RPI: 3-2
                Record against 51-100 RPI: 4-2
                Record against 101-150 RPI: 4-0
                Significant Wins: 21 Wichita State, 34 Ohio State, 45 Northern Iowa(x2), 55 Arkansas State, 56 Illinois
                Significant Losses: NONE
                Last 10 games: 9-1

Northern Iowa
                Record: (24-9, 14-4)
                RPI: 45
                Non-Conf RPI: 42
                Record against Top 50 RPI: 5-5
                Record against 1-25 RPI: 3-3
                Record against 26-50 RPI: 2-2
                Record against 51-100 RPI: 2-2
                Record against 101-150 RPI: 1-1
                Significant Wins: 19 Kentucky, 21 Wichita State(x2), 40 Miami(OH)
                Significant Losses: 132 Illinois State
                Last 10 games: 8-2

Read more: http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thre...#ixzz4RDmeKTfL
                Last edited by JayJ79; November 27, 2016, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                  Bracketology has both Missouri State and Northern Iowa receiving an at-large bid. I can post his stuff when I have more time this afternoon.
                  No, I am not @JayJ79:. :) Thanks for the post.

The RPI of 21 for the Shockers assumes the bonus points for good wins (read Creighton) and no bad losses which would have negative points. There is a "secret sauce" the Committee uses, part of it being good wins and bad losses, but I do not think (from what I have read) that every piece of it is known. The unmodified RPI for the Shocks is 28.

Comment

In this instance, I'm hoping their RPI estimate is accurate, since that would improve UNI's resume by giving them 2 more top-25 wins instead of just top-50 wins.

Which brings up an interesting quandry. If UNI had beaten WSU in the semifinal, but then lost to MSU in the final, that may well have left WSU with a 25+ RPI. And thus in a way hurt their resume (as far as top 25 wins). Of course, that would have been counterbalanced by having another win (and another top 50 win). Plus they may have been able to pull off a win against the Bears and make it all moot (Panthers have struggled against the Bears this year, but prior to Friday night, WSU had struggled against UNI. so who knows when it comes to that 3rd matchup of the season).

In any case, congrats to the Shockers, and best of luck in Lincoln/Lawrence/Columbia/Manhattan/Omaha (or possibly some other location, just going of of memory for what would be "bus trip" sites)

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                      In this instance, I'm hoping their RPI estimate is accurate, since that would improve UNI's resume by giving them 2 more top-25 wins instead of just top-50 wins.
                      Interestingly, the Top 25, Top 50 and other subsets of a team's record are determined by the Unmodified RPI, not the Unmodified RPI with Bonuses - which makes sense when you think about it. Those RPIs are found here and seem to be considered quite reliable. If the NCAA RPI is posted tomorrow, one can certainly compare.

Comment

For the curious, the final winning percentage for the out-of-conference teams:

64.8% - Shockers
                        54.6% - Missouri State
                        57.4% - Northern Iowa

Another season well scheduled and better than Lambo could reasonably hope for.

Comment

Working...
                        X