No announcement yet.

Shocker Volleyball Classic - Fri 9/2 and Sat 9/3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't mean to throw any stones but had a nephew who was a div. one athlete. Tutors, counselors, computers were at his disposal....and he was in a minor sport. The other thing is you don't seem to see this in volleyball very often

Comment

best of luck to the young woman in getting things back on track, but I for one will not be shedding any tears over the Texas vb program in general.

Comment

Similar results in California...kind of, this last weekend.

UNI swept #23 Kentucky. Creighton swept UNI. So naturally Creighton should handle Kentucky....but no, Kentucky beat Creighton 3-0. And handily too, 20, 22, 13.

USC won the tourney, of course beating Kentucky easily 19, 15, 17, UNI in 4 tough sets 21, 21, (24), 23 and then CU in 5 sets (25), 23, 22, (19), 10. I just watched this match and felt like CU was the better team, but USC served much tougher.

Marquette handled USC last week (16), 20, 20, 22.

Bottom line, there's not much to separate 20-40 type ranked teams. The differences between Creighton, UNI, USC, WSU, ISU, Marquette, Cincinnati, Kentucky are execution.

Comment

There talent pool in Women's volleyball sure seems much, much deeper than women's basketball. The parity certainly seems to be greater. I have wondered previously if the popularity of women's volleyball is having a negative impact on the depth of talent available in women's basketball.

Comment

Sullentrop has the Shocker Classic all tourney team and Shocks only have two players (Mikeala and Emily) on the team. Did we get dissed at our own home tourney? Thought Jody might make it and/or Tabitha?

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
              Sullentrop has the Shocker Classic all tourney team and Shocks only have two players (Mikeala and Emily) on the team. Did we get dissed at our own home tourney? Thought Jody might make it and/or Tabitha?
              Jody was also on the all tournament team.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                  Jody was also on the all tournament team.
                  This game article from Sully that lists the all-tournament team does not include Jody - only Emily and Mikaela - although Emily was Tournament MVP.

I don't know the following for fact but have long assumed it to be the case. The first-place team in a tournament gets the MVP and one player. The second- and third-place teams get two players and the last place gets one player on the all-tournament team. That is the breakdown that I see virtually all of the time.

And I have always assumed that the coaches provide the names of the players, not the media.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                    This game article from Sully that lists the all-tournament team does not include Jody - only Emily and Mikaela - although Emily was Tournament MVP.

I don't know the following for fact but have long assumed it to be the case. The first-place team in a tournament gets the MVP and one player. The second- and third-place teams get two players and the last place gets one player on the all-tournament team. That is the breakdown that I see virtually all of the time.

And I have always assumed that the coaches provide the names of the players, not the media.
                    I was at the match when they handed Jody her all-tournament trophy and the WSU volleyball facebook page has pictures of Jody with said trophy.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I was at the match when they handed Jody her all-tournament trophy and the WSU volleyball facebook page has pictures of Jody with said trophy.
                      Great!! I left to try to catch the post-game show on the Internet (What was I thinking about?! It was unavailable all Saturday on the concourse.), and I definitely do not do Facebook. :)

I looked on the web site and found nothing. I did think it a bit suspicious that Emily and Mikaela were on the all-tournament team two consecutive weekends.

So ... Jody and who else from the Shockers?

And I have no idea what Sully's list is about.
                      Last edited by flyingMoose; September 5, 2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Great!! I left to try to catch the post-game show on the Internet (What was I thinking about?! It was unavailable all Saturday on the concourse.), and I definitely do not do Facebook. :)

I looked on the web site and found nothing. I did think it a bit suspicious that Emily and Mikaela were on the all-tournament team two consecutive weekends.

So ... Jody and who else from the Shockers?

And I have no idea what Sully's list is about.
                        Emily and Mikaela were indeed the other two from WSU with Emily being MVP.

Comment

Emily and Mikaela were indeed the other two from WSU with Emily being MVP.
                          Sully's list is about missing one of the players.

Comment

From the Coach's Show:

Current AVCA rankings: Texas 3 .. Creighton 30 .. Shockers 35 .. Missouri State 38 .. Iowa State 39. Colorado State moved from 25 to Not RV. This past weekend, they lost to Pitt (now 40 and a senior laden team, so not a bad loss) and UCSB (now 42 and an unexpected loss).

From the watching the video of the weekend matches: Lambo owned up to being a strong contributor in the loss to Cincinnati. He had Abbie in a different spot, a spot they had only worked on (much?) for three weeks (post-Jenny, I assume). Saturday they went back to a "comfortable" lineup. Against Marquette, they hit .260 v .140 in transition. A difference of more than .100 is rare - the MQ coaches were asking him what he did to get that kind of difference. Although he has installed only two defenses at this point, there is a strong commitment to defense (they dug 62% of the balls against MQ when 52-53% is more typical) from everyone on the floor. At various times during the show, he specifically mentioned the defense of Dani, Giorgia and Emily. In particular, he thought the arrival of Giorgia had pushed Dani.

Mike asked if the team was where the coaches thought they might be after their spring/pre-season work. Lambo mentioned that a lot changed when Jenny went down. She had made great progress and was a key part of the plans to use a 6-2.

This was the first time Emily had ever been the MVP of a tournament.

Tabitha's hitting was much improved after she took the wrap off her thumb. She was hitting with much more range, getting the ball on the floor in front of the left back being the example cited. There was some conversation about her being a student of the game (her mother was/is a coach). When she decided to change schools, she could have gone to any of about thirty schools. She chose Wichita State because we were the only school to tell her what they could do to improve her game, and she wanted to get better.

There was a short, almost inconsequential review of Colorado State and Texas. An interesting comment was if you could get past the Texas block, their defense might be a little suspect.

Not mentioned in the show but as a side note, the game against Samford is not part of the tournament. (Thus, the Thu-Fri-Sun game sequence.) Samford is playing in the Wyoming Open in Laramie, and then coming to Fort Collins to play the match against the Shockers on Sunday. I assume that Lambo could not "tolerate" another two-match weekend, and arrangements were made.

Comment

Not mentioned in the show but as a side note, the game against Samford is not part of the tournament. (Thus, the Thu-Fri-Sun game sequence.)
                              Actually it is a Thu-Sat-Sun sequence for the Shocks (For CSU it's Thu-Fri and For UT it's Fri-Sat):
                              WSU vs Colorado State at 8:00 pm CDT on Thursday;
                              CSU vs Texas at 8:00 pm CDT on Friday;
                              WSU vs Texas at 1:00 pm CDT on Saturday;
                              and then the WSU vs Samford match at 1:00 pm CDT on Sunday.

A bit unusual. Perhaps the Shocks can do a little sight seeing in the Rockies on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                Actually it is a Thu-Sat-Sun sequence for the Shocks
                                I knew that. :(
                                Last edited by flyingMoose; September 6, 2016, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X