Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female VB coaches

There is a person (mango) on volleytalk who argues:
    "For all the males out there craving or holding on to leadership positions in womens volleyball, here is a 2003 reference from Leadership Quarterly that describes some differences between male and female leaders.

Some of the key points include women as more democratic and participatory than men who tend to be autocratic and directive. Women tend to be more transformational than transactional and will use contingent awards more than laissez-faire attributes."

************************************************** ****************************

"I think one of the more important questions is how head coaches influence the development of future female leaders as they transition from college to the real world or transition from an assistant to head coaching position."

************************************************** ****************************

"Well said, although I don't distrust men. Just stupid and conniving people. One of my key points is that male coaches, who appeared to have filled the historical gap and shortage of women coaches, should know that they are just temporary keepers. Everyone is grateful for their contributions. As the female applicant pool has expanded, every effort should be made to strengthen female leadership, and that may mean some highly ranked programs moving their male coaches to nice, lucrative administrative positions where they can continue to be advocates of womens sports and possibly take on new roles as senior mentors for the new female head coach (sort of like Bill coaching Hillary, but that may be as controversial as this topic).

It's a sense of activism.....if men want to elevate womens volleyball, then they should do their darndest to elevate women leadership in the sport and not continue to contribute to the glass ceiling."

What do you think? I am curious to hear what female members of SN think? Right now we have a male head coach (VB) and a female head coach (WBB) in two of the most popular NCAA female sports. Which is more important to you, the gender or the success of a WSU coach?
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Success is success. If the teams win, who cares about the gender of the coach?

Thats not a great argument, I know, because eventually you have to enter life and probably quit playing sports at a high level...
    Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
    Students > Alumni
    If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
    The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Part of it depends on the players also. Some enjoy more of the "democratic and participatory" type of coaching well others prefer "autocratic and directive". My sister was one who preferred the 2nd, but turned down an offer to coach JV and eventually take over the varsity position at our former high school because of the players who need the first. She wouldn't be willing to ever be that way and knew it would cause her to much frustration when teams performed poorly due to that type of attitude. At the high school level you don't have a choice in which one you coach. At the college level you do and that is why either style can work.

Comment

I think more athletes actually get more from the 2nd. As far as I'm concerned, if you can get the job done I don't care what your gender is.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The gender issue wreaks of the "wrong" kind of feminism, IMO. I think it's a stupid discussion. To me it sounds like women asking men to get out of the way. Well, that's not a fight against a "glass ceiling". It's an admission of inferiority. They can't get the top positions so they are asking their competition to forfeit. Of course, it's disguised in statements like "every effort should be made to strengthen female leadership". Then the poster just outright says it - "that may mean some highly ranked programs moving their male coaches to nice, lucrative administrative positions". Well, that's not earning anything, but having it given. I think there's also another name for this - reverse discrimination.

That may sounds harsh, but in this case, it's the way I see it.

As for coaching styles, I'm not sure I would want a player who excells in a democratic coaching system. I would wonder if they were tough enough to withstand the pressure. So I would think that autocratic coaches are usually going to be more successful. Which label best describes Pat Summit?

But since I don't have any insider knowledge in women's sports, my opinion may not mean much.

Comment

You can look at the basketball team I think and see some of this. I get the feeling Jane is more of the 1st type. And although she's quite likeable, she doesn't seem to get the most out of her team and I think that there are players on the team that just don't respond well to her and her style. I think there's a reason that Gillespie (sp) appears to be the one that most of the ladies seem to appreciate and respect. To fully get his effect on the team he'd probably need a bigger role, but I hear that he's got more respect from the team, or at least some of them, than Jane. Not that Jane's system can't work, but I think it's tougher that way.

I could be completely off base on this. Baically, whatever works and whoever does it should have the jobs. Using gender is ridiculous.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I've seen female teams with coaches of the 2nd type fold also. My opinion is that different players need different types. If, as a coach, you can find the players who fit your style you can succeed. Doesn't matter wether it's a male or female coach, or a male or female player.

Comment

I agree. And that's been shown. From my experiences and from what I've witnessed in this area of the country, the 2nd type seems to have more success. Maybe there's just more teams that have those kinds of coaches around here.

Although, personally I've only had one type 1 coach and that was my FR year of HS. We went 17-3 but he had no control of the team and we pretty much did as we wanted and nobody on the team respected him as a coach. Nice guy though. We were just loaded with talent. But I've seen those coaches at my HS, usually girls team, and they struggle. Then when the other type was brought in they did well. Maybe it was just timing.

Back to the point, I do agree that both styles can work but if I'm in charge of hiring I'm going after someone who's the second type here.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Sub you hit the nail on the head with JA. My info says that some of the girls would love to see Coach G take over. I think he has tried this year but JA does not allow her asst. to contribute as much. My impression is JA believes you should motivate yourself, at the pro level I would agree but not at this level.

As far as male/female coaches, hire the most qualified.

Comment

Final Coach's Poll 2007 top ten list team and their head coaches. Two out of the ten are women. It looks like the leadership style of men seems to work. But I think you will have a better edge for success if you first name begins with a "J" - five out of the top ten. ;-)

1 Penn State -Russ Rose
                    2 Stanford -John Dunning
                    3 USC - Mick Haley
                    4 California -*"Jenny" Lang Ping*
                    5 Nebraska - John Cook
                    6 Texas -Jerritt Elliott
                    7 UCLA -Andy Banachowski
                    8 Florida - *Mary Wise*
                    9 Oregon - Jim Moore
                    10 Washington - Jim McLaughlin

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                      I think there's a reason that Gillespie (sp) appears to be the one that most of the ladies seem to appreciate and respect. To fully get his effect on the team he'd probably need a bigger role, but I hear that he's got more respect from the team, or at least some of them, than Jane.
                      First of all I am in the hire the best possible person you can attract camp, period. I don't have any doubt that Jim Schaus thinks any differently and I think his actions support that.

Sub, if what you say about the team's respect of Jane and Gillespie is true can not bode well for Jane. The players are aware that Jane is under fire.
                      While I don't think they would deliberately undermine her, you wonder if subconsciously, when the going gets tough that they might not fight back as hard as they would for someone they really respect.

:(

Comment

I don't get the feeling anything like that is happening. Jane doesn't do a good job of motivating her team. She just seems to be out of touch with many of the ladies. Gillespie seems to be better at reaching them and I think they respect that. They need a more forceful presence and that's just not Jane. But I do understand that most if not all of the ladies like Jane. Maybe respect wasn't quite the right word. But I can't think of how else to say it.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by lemuel777
                          ...snip...
                          2 Stanford -John Dunning
                          3 USC - Mick Haley
                          4 California -*"Jenny" Lang Ping*
                          5 Nebraska - John Cook
                          ...snip...
                          Yowza! Cal fired Rich Feller and hired the USA Women's National Team coach??? Rich is going to be surprised! I would have thought that would have made bigger headlines...

Comment

Working...
                          X