No announcement yet.

Volleyball 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Around 400 Shocker fans enjoyed another successful and entertaining Shocker VB101 dinner in the books. I think Lambo takes great pride and is very thankful that he has built a program that generates more revenue than the other 9 MVC VB programs COMBINED.

A lot of positive vibes about the upcoming season. Lambo had very high praise indeed for his two seniors, Emily and Jackie, and also for Chelsey, his middles and this year's freshman class.

Sully's article in today's Eagle expounds on Lambo's positive feelings heading into the season: http://www.kansas.com/2012/08/17/245...olleyball.html

Go Shocks.

Comment

Another great evening. These young ladies are the BEST! Good food, good fun.....loved the stations idea at the end. You got to ask any question and see how they scheme various situations.

Amazing night. You can tell that Lambo is excited about this season and the future. He believes they are just going to get better and better. I think he's really fighting putting a ton of expectations on Chelsey for fear of disrespecting MEH. No worries coach, we all know what 'Hoop did for the program and she will never be forgotten, but it's time for Chelsey to make this her team.

I believe that's exactly what she's going to do.

Comment

Jiminey Crickets....sometimes you just can't tempt fate. Sam was in a walking boot last night. I really hope whatever happened isn't long lasting. She did seem in good spirits so perhaps it's just being safe, but then Katy Dudzinski was in good spirits too and she's out for the year.

Comment

The breakout sessions @WuDrWu referred to were held at 6 different stations. You were assigned a starting station based on your table number. There were 40 tables so there around 60 folks assigned to each session. Each session was 5 minutes then each group would rotate to the next station.

Station 1 was a session with Grad Assistant Sarah Willey and the Liberos where they handed out cards and discussed the rules governing the Libero position, talked in general about the position and answered questions.

Station 2 covered blocking schemes. This was presented by 1st year Volunteer Assistant Brian Magbitang. He discussed two blocking schemes front blocking and read blocking and the signals they used for each. He said most of the freshman had never heard of read blocking before.

Station 3 covered setting strategies and was presented by 4th year assistant RJ Abella, Chesley Feekin and her boyfirend Noah. If you want know more about Noah you need to start attending the VB101 dinners. I can tell you that Noah was also Mary Elizabeth's boyfriend. In fact, he pretty much dates all the setters. Key fact 41 degrees.

Station 4 was a general question and answer with around 8 of the players. You could ask them anything you wanted on any subject. I guess you would call this the Up Close and Personal station.

Station 5 was manned by 9th year assistant Jeff Sanders and covered siding out stategies.

Station 6 was a question and answer session with Lambo. My group actually started at station 6. Lambo used all of his 5 minutes in answering just two questions. The 1st was "What is a 6-rotation Player?". At the end of his answer he said these were the Michael Jodan's of volleyball. I think what prompted this question was referred to Emily Adney as a 6-rotation player in discussing the outlook for the team during his remarks from the podium. The other question was on "What kind of physical training does the VB team do?" Let me just say that this is an area Lambo has some strong opinions about and let's say he is less than enamored about how some of the kids are handled during their high school years (both in HS and on their club teams). In any case, Lambo gave two great, very thorough and very interesting responses.

One of the things that came through during these sessions is that our coaching staff, lead by Lambo, are not only passionate about the game of VB but they are true students, no make that Phd's of VB. We are so very, very fortunate to have found Chris and Shannon Lamb to build and lead this program.

Comment

Working...
          X