It's time for a new Softball stadium...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

The top 16 are in theory your regional hosts.
    It would not surprise me to discover that there are minimum facility requirements to host a Regional, primarily media-oriented, but requirements in other areas also. Not having ESPN+, I have no idea what that telecast looks like at Wilkins now, but hosting a DH and hosting a Regional are not the same animal. Could the Shocks have an RPI of 10 and have to host in Lawrence?

Comment

The ground level press box is definitely odd. I'm not sure what the view is like from there, but you might be able to sell those as seating options if you build a new press box. It could be a selling point for some, especially when it's a bit chilly.

I'd like to see capacity at 1200 minimum and maybe with a standing room only option somewhere. Definitely with the option to add more or bring in some temp seating should we host a regional or something some day.

I feel for the umpires. I've been in some officials rooms that were horribly small and uncomfortable. More so when you had varsity and sub-varsity officials sharing the same small area and are all in there at the same time.

Build a new press box above the stands. Move the batting cages and build up seating on the 3rd base side to mirror what you see down first, more or less. That should probably get the capacity up to where it should be.
      Hmm. What could you do if you claimed the tennis courts next to Heskett? Those are not Athletic Department property, so that is an issue I assume. Whichever - I still claim a stadium next to Eck is the route to go. I will leave it to others to write the check. :)

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

Hmm. What could you do if you claimed the tennis courts next to Heskett? Those are not Athletic Department property, so that is an issue I assume. Whichever - I still claim a stadium next to Eck is the route to go. I will leave it to others to write the check. :)
        The area next to Heskett isn’t happening anytime soon. They just spent a bunch of money replacing the tennis courts with soccer and pickleball and both have been wildly popular.

Comment

In non-revenue sports, facilities will be even more important as there isn't going to be as much NIL money for those student-athletes. Those are also the athletes more likely to focus on and take academics seriously. Now having some NIL money available for some of them still doesn't hurt, and I'm glad Syd is involved in that and I'm pretty sure Addie is as well.
          There isn't NIL money, but there is facilities money? I presume the amount of money donors are willing to contribute to a given sport is finite. So then the question becomes, what is the most effective way to spend those finite dollars. And why are non-revenue athletes more likely to take academic seriously? Is there evidence of this somewhere? Or is this just what you believe?

Comment

I suspect that in baseball and softball most of the NIL money will find its way into the pockets of the elite pitchers. Which is pretty much the case with scholarship money. Everything that was a factor before will still be a factor but NIL adds and additional dimension.

Obviously, the elite Power 5 programs had the advantage before and NIL just enhances those advantages.

We have a lot of needs and wants. I am just not sure the will and wherewithal are there to make those needs and wants a reality.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 31, 2022, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

There isn't NIL money, but there is facilities money? I presume the amount of money donors are willing to contribute to a given sport is finite. So then the question becomes, what is the most effective way to spend those finite dollars. And why are non-revenue athletes more likely to take academic seriously? Is there evidence of this somewhere? Or is this just what you believe?
              I didn't say there isn't NIL money, just not as much as will be put elsewhere, like men's basketball here and football most other places. That has more to do with exposure and value as nobody is throwing a ton of money at non-revenue athletes just because. So yes, the better investment is into facilities for those sports as it will have a greater impact. And I judge it based on general team GPAs over the years and the higher rate of graduation in those sports. When my niece was being recruited for softball, most everyone was focused on academics and how each school could help her and that's all she really cared about, which is why she ended up turning down scholarship offers and gave up softball. Academics was much more important than the sport she loved when it came down to it and if nobody offering a scholarship could actually help her attain her academic goals, she wasn't interested in wasting time. I know a number of other girls who she played with that were in the same state of mind. Some of them found places that fit with their academic needs and kept playing while others didn't and turned down offers.

You can also point to the lack of professional options in those sports as reasons those athletes tend to be more focused on academics than say some of their football and basketball counterparts who are using school as a way to try and get to a professional team and do just enough to stay eligible. And I'm in no way saying all players on those teams are like this, but it's pretty obvious that there's a lot of them to anyone paying attention.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
                So our former coach is taking the Florida Gators back to the WCWS. Our current coach is every bit as good and will be gone soon unless we make a greater commitment to Softball. UCF hosted a regional this year and talent wise, we are close to being right there. It's time to start looking at building a new Softball stadium that is regional host worthy. We have got to find a way to keep coach B around and facility improvements commitments are the first step.
                I'm extremely grateful for the job the current staff has done with Shocker softball and they deserve more support. But let's not get out of hand. Coach Bredbenner has done an outstanding job but she's no Tim Walton, and it's not close.

Tim is a top 5 coach in the country. At least. 20 seasons as a head coach. 17 NCAA tournaments (missed the 1st two at WSU, made every single one held since then). 2 National Championships. Runner up 3 times. WCWS an ADDITIONAL 6 times (including this season). So he's made the WCWS more than 50% of the seasons he's been a head coach.

The 2 aren't in the same breath, sentence or ball park when it comes to coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I'm extremely grateful for the job the current staff has done with Shocker softball and they deserve more support. But let's not get out of hand. Coach Bredbenner has done an outstanding job but she's no Tim Walton, and it's not close.

Tim is a top 5 coach in the country. At least. 20 seasons as a head coach. 17 NCAA tournaments (missed the 1st two at WSU, made every single one held since then). 2 National Championships. Runner up 3 times. WCWS an ADDITIONAL 6 times (including this season). So he's made the WCWS more than 50% of the seasons he's been a head coach.

The 2 aren't in the same breath, sentence or ball park when it comes to coaching.
                  Whose had better regular season success at Wichita State? Who's had better post season success at Wichita State? Who's had more All Americans at Wichita State? Who's taken Wichita State Softball to unparalleled heights?

You can't compare recruiting and winning at Florida to the same at Wichita State. If you want to make that argument about Oklahoma State, Kansas, or Kansas State vs WSU I will listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerman View Post

Whose had better regular season success at Wichita State? Who's had better post season success at Wichita State? Who's had more All Americans at Wichita State? Who's taken Wichita State Softball to unparalleled heights?

You can't compare recruiting and winning at Florida to the same at Wichita State. If you want to make that argument about Oklahoma State, Kansas, or Kansas State vs WSU I will listen.
                    I’m guessing that listening isn’t a strength for you.

But here goes anyway. First three years at WSU Tim took over a bad program and was 59 games over .500.

Kristi took over a bad program and was 26 games under .500.

The reason Kristi is still at WSU and succeeding is that she isn’t as good a coach as Tim and schools like Florida haven’t come here and offered her a job.

Next.

Comment

I’m guessing that listening isn’t a strength for you.

But here goes anyway. First three years at WSU Tim took over a bad program and was 59 games over .500.

Kristi took over a bad program and was 26 games under .500.

The reason Kristi is still at WSU and succeeding is that she isn’t as good a coach as Tim and schools like Florida haven’t come here and offered her a job.

Next.
                      Ouch…. Not sure how to assign metrics to the definition of a “bad program” besides the W/L record, but figure there are many more variables to take into consideration. It reads as if you believe WSU softball is merely a stepping stone job or perhaps I confuse “offer” with “accept”

Comment

The OP tried to make the argument that HCKB was better than Tim Walton and questioned their record at WSU as a measuring stick. I was simply refuting that take.

Kristi has been outstanding at WSU and WSU has treated Kristi very, very well. I don't think it matters to qualify what is "merely a stepping stone job" but yes, if Florida decides they want HCKB to be their next coach, then she'll be their next head coach. That isn't a knock on WSU athletics in any way, shape or form.

Comment

The OP tried to make the argument that HCKB was better than Tim Walton and questioned their record at WSU as a measuring stick. I was simply refuting that take.

Kristi has been outstanding at WSU and WSU has treated Kristi very, very well. I don't think it matters to qualify what is "merely a stepping stone job" but yes, if Florida decides they want HCKB to be their next coach, then she'll be their next head coach. That isn't a knock on WSU athletics in any way, shape or form.
                          I looked at TB’s resume and it’s quite impressive.
                          I do agree with the op that we could lose her by not investing in the program, I don’t know too much about the facilities. It looks nice but not sure what else it needs (locker room upgrade?). I hate the press box on the lower level. It completely negates the crowd noise due to keeping the windows closed,

Comment

Did we see something about an additional outfield pavilion? I like that idea times 2 or 3. I don't believe a stadium re-do is needed or smart. They've had 2 sellouts in unique circumstances. Not trying to be negative, but we've likely the 2 best players in the history of the program that are going to be seniors and juniors next season which means they aren't going to be around for a rebuild.

Prior to his May 2022 extension, Oklahoma State softball head coach Kenny Gajewski had the same base salary as HCKB at $120,000 per year. I've no doubt Kenny bumps that a bit more with personal service benefits but still.....OSU is a top 10 program in the B12 hosting regionals. And we're paying the same salary.

As softball is, has been and always will be, a financial burden to ICAA (as are ALL programs outside men's basketball and sometimes baseball) then I doubt we're going to see much change unless a T Boone type person decides to go crazy.

If softball thinks they need to do more, then I'd like to see HCKB and some of the alumni pony up first and get out there and fund raise. Just like baseball, for instance.

Comment

I am told that Softball wants to host the 2024 AAC Tournament. The AAC told WSU that dugout upgrades are required if they want to host. Dugouts are the #1 complaint from other AAC coaches?

Comment

So Dugout upgrades can't be crazy expensive can they? Upgraded locker rooms may be necessary as well. More seating. They may not have a lot of sell outs but it's still not good for the program to be turning hundreds of people away.

And we may have the two best players in program history, but I'm not going to sell Kristi short and say we're going to fall off once they're gone. There have been some other really good players along side them and recruiting on the offensive side at least appears to be going well. I truly believe you can continue to build off of the success and fan interest can and will increase. Continuing to schedule localish schools doesn't hurt either.

Hosting the AAC tournament could also be a worthwhile endeavor just to be showcased a bit more if nothing else. Little things can and will get noticed and can make a difference.

Saal has also made it sound like softball will get some of his focus, especially since they're possibly the top athletic program in regards to performance right now. We'll see how that goes and what fundraising looks like when it begins.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X