Grandpa On Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandpa On Board

The Shocker Volleyball team has a new Volunteer Assistant. And best of all he is a Grandpa. Now, that is diversity. Good for him.

Mike Steele is in his first season as a volunteer assistant coach for the Wichita State volleyball program. Steele began playing volleyball in 1978, playing in

Actually, I would expect that Grandpa Steele will bring some valuable life experiences to the table.

His Dad was my Jr High gym teacher and basketball coach. Korean War marine and a real life Gunny Highway from Heartbreak Ridge, minus the cussing. I was terrified of him the first year, then grew accustomed to his coaching and teaching style, which was always in the best interest of the kids. I saw him when he was in his 80’s and he still was intimidating.

That was back when corporal punishment was legal in schools and I received plenty of it.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      That was back when corporal punishment was legal in schools and I received plenty of it.
      No doubt well deserved. Mine was.

Comment

Looks like Grandpa Steele won't be involved with the Shockers after all this next season. While he is still listed as a Volunteer Assistant Coach on the 2020 roster he is not listed in any capacity on the 2021 roster.

The 2021 roster lists a much younger Nick Serowski as the Volunteer Assistant Coach.

https://goshockers.com/sports/womens...k-serowski/934

Comment

"During his time at Malone, Serowski was in charge of offensive systems, defensive systems, and running practices. He also led the charge in the recruitment of student-athletes and oversaw student-athletes academic performances." Sounds like a great addition and probably able to hit and block in practices. This guy was a hellavue a GA, wonder what the head coach did?

Comment

Working...
          X