Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koch Arena to Host USA Volleyball Team

Koch Arena to Host USA Volleyball Team

The U.S. Women's National Team has one domestic tournament prior to heading to the 2020 Olympic Games. As the only host in the United States, Wichita, Kansas will be front-and-center on Team USA's journey to Tokyo.

The U.S. Women will host Japan, Turkey and Belgium during their FIVB Volleyball Nations League domestic preliminary round matches held June 9-11 (Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday).

Match Schedule (All Times Central)
    • Tuesday, June 9: Japan vs. Turkey, 4 p.m.; USA vs. Belgium, 7:30 p.m.
    • Wednesday, June 10: Turkey vs. Belgium, 4 p.m.; USA vs. Japan, 7:30 p.m.
    • Thursday, June 11: Japan vs. Belgium, 4 p.m.; USA vs. Turkey, 7:30 p.m.
    Team USA is ranked second in the world, while Japan is ranked No. 7, Turkey is No. 12 and Belgium is No. 19.

Tickets are currently on sale at www.goshockers.com. Currently only All-Session passes are being offered and they are priced at $50 for general admission, $75 for reserved end zone and $100 for reserved center.

Not sure what individual match tickets will cost but I assume GA tickets will be in the $20-$25 range.

I realize this is top level women's volleyball but I fear the pricing is a bit high for the Wichita market and may keep attendance relatively low. But that is just a guess and I could easily be wrong about that. At those prices I most likely would limit myself to GA tickets for one match.

Wow, that's a heck of an honor and opportunity for WSU!
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

That will be fun. Hopefully there will be a good turnout.
      Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

It is cool that WSU AD and the sports commission can co-op to land these national events in Wichita. I commend them for this get.
        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Comment

Looks like we probably have not seen the last of Cincinnati's Jordan Thompson in Koch Arena after all (see #12 the above video clip).

BTW, anyone catch Jordan's line in Cincinnati's 5-set win over UConn on this past Sunday. 50-6-83 = 0.530 plus 11 digs. Just to confirm that is not a typo. 50 kills! Kudos for UConn for taking Cincy to 5 sets on the road in the face of that kind of performance. Maybe that is the best strategy. Let Jordan get hers because you can't stop her anyway and focus on everyone else.

At least in June we can cheer for Jordan and her teammates.

Comment

Lambo commented on the USA Volleyball team coming to Koch Arena in June during his pre-game chalk talk to the match club members this past Friday.

He seemed pretty excited about and said this was a really big deal for Wichita. He mentioned that he heard they had sold 800 all-session tickets so far and he thought this event would attract a lot of fans from outside the immediate area including Dallas, OKC, Tulsa, Kansas City, Omaha, Lincoln, and perhaps further away considering Wichita is the only place in the U.S. to be hosting such an event in advance of the Olympics.

He said if you want to watch a volleyball team play fast you need to make sure you see the match against Japan. He says they aren't that big but they really play a fast-paced game and I suspect they defend very well also.

The only negative for Lambo is that he may not be in town. The volleyball team is taking a trip to Italy this summer. He hopes they can schedule it so the team leaves the day after this tournament finishes up but he wasn't sure they can make that happen.

In any case, Lambo got me pumped up for this event and I think I will pick up a couple of GA all-session passes.,

Comment

On the VT board, the typical response to the Women's National Team coming to town was Wichi-who?

Some pointed out the central location, mentioning the draw from Nebraska.

I posted the attendance for 2009 when the Men's team came here for two matches where we outdrew Chicago and essentially matched San Jose (9315 v 9300 for the two nights).

Wichita will represent itself well for these matches.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                  On the VT board, the typical response to the Women's National Team coming to town was Wichi-who?

Some pointed out the central location, mentioning the draw from Nebraska.

I posted the attendance for 2009 when the Men's team came here for two matches where we outdrew Chicago and essentially matched San Jose (9315 v 9300 for the two nights).

Wichita will represent itself well for these matches.
                  2009 was against the Netherlands. The men also played 2 matches against Italy in Hoffman Estates, IL (Chicago suburb) that drew 4,310 + 4,183 = 8,493.

In 2010 the USA men returned for two matches vs Russia (splitting those two matches). Attendance was 5,025 and 5,450 for a total of 10,475. The two matches they played in Hoffman Estates, IL (Chicago suburb) drew 3,500 + 4,000 = 7,500. The two matches they played against Egypt in 2010 in Concord, NC (Charlotte suburb) drew 2,986 + 3132 = 6118.

The power the men played with was impressive as hell. The women will not be nearly as powerful but they will be plenty good.

So Wichita certainly held their own with hosting the men in 2009 and 2010. It will be interesting to see how the women draw.

BTW, Lambo said this didn't happen in a vacuum. There were a lot of places that were vying to host this. He gave kudos to WSU Senior Associate AD Brad Pittman for getting this done. Visit Wichita was also involved in getting this event in Wichita.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 11, 2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    2009 was against the Netherlands. The men also played 2 matches against Italy in Hoffman Estates, IL (Chicago suburb) that drew 4,310 + 4,183 = 8,493.
                    For completeness :) , the San Jose matches were against China, 4315 and 5000.

Comment

2020 FIVB Volleyball Nations League postponed until after 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games

The U.S. Women’s National Team, which is the two-time defending VNL champions, was scheduled to host Japan, Turkey and Belgium June 9-11 at Koch Arena on the Wichita State University campus.

For fans wishing to receive refunds for the women’s VNL matches in Wichita, please contact the Wichita State University ticket office at 316-978-3267.

Not surprising at all. Just another Covid-19 casualty.

Comment

The U.S. Women’s National Team, which is the two-time defending VNL champions, was scheduled to host Japan, Turkey and Belgium June 9-11 at Koch Arena on the Wichita State University campus.

All new bookmakers

For fans wishing to receive refunds for the women’s VNL matches in Wichita, please contact the Wichita State University ticket office at 316-978-3267.

Not surprising at all. Just another Covid-19 casualty.

Comment

Working...
                        X