SIU (Alumni Game) & Evansville (Senior Night) Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIU (Alumni Game) & Evansville (Senior Night) Weekend

This weekend matches do not have a lot of sizzle in that SIU and Evansville are both (3-11) in conference play. However, one of those wins was Evansville's upset of the Shocks at Evansville. That loss could very well keep the Shocks out of the NCAA Tournament this year. Nevertheless, I think the Shocks can still make the dance but they simply can not lose any of their 4 remaining regular season matches (and we need UNI to take care of Creighton on Friday).

Following Friday's match against SIU there will be an Alumni volleyball match. Alumni participating include Jen Ray, Karen Augspurger, Amanda Backes, Sara Lungren, Sarah McGee, Lindsey Eckenrode, Katie Niggemeyer, Tara Went, Angela Jakubov, Sara Younes and Kim Wadsworth. I wonder if Sara Y can still deliver her nasty jump serve.

Saturday night is Senior Night as we thank and bid farewell to three outstanding young women, Mary Elizabeth Hooper, Sarah Waldorf and Camri Zwiesler who will be honored 10 minutes before the Evansville match. All have been key components for the Shockers and during their time at WSU and all have given us everything they have.

Hoop became the all-time career assist leader last weekend and has been an oustanding setter for 4 years and is an outstanding student with a 3.66 GPA in Health Science. Watching her battle her way through her Junior season with her lower leg problems was pretty inspiring. One of Lambo's highest profile recruits, Mary Elizabeth managed to live up to the sometimes unreasonable expectations we fans put on our athletes.

At Augusta High School, Waldo (a 5th year senior) was an outstanding multi-sport athlete (volleyball, basketball, softball and track). I believe Waldo was a setter in high school. No doubt Lambo saw a very quick, athletic Libero in Waldo and went to work on traing her for that position. Sarah has worked very hard to be the best she can be and currently sits in 5th place in career digs. Sarah is also a very good student majoring in marketing.

Camri, from Newton via a 2 year stop over at Arizona State, has only been a Shocker for 2 years but has made a huge impact in her 2 years. She has had to battle through some leg pain this year but has handle that admirably. Camri together with Jr. Emily Adney form the best outside hitting combo in the MVC. A 4-time All-Stater at Newton HS Camri did not see a whole lot of court time in her two years at ASU. However, she certainly blossomed nicely as a Shocker. My only regret about Camri is that we only were able to enjoy her talents and her great smile for 2 years. As are most Shocker VB'ers Camri is a student-athlete in the truest sense and is majoring in general studies-criminal justice.

All three of these ladies have been oustanding representative of our University and our community and they deserve the best Shocker farewell we can give them.

We have moved into 8th place in National attendace averages. One weekend left. I realize we have a lot going this weekend but I would encourage everyone to make an effort to make one or both of these matches on the final home stand of the year.

:poster_shocks:

Shocks sweep SIU 15,19 and 23 in a less than oustanding performance. Emily (12-1-24 = .458) and Ashley (8-1-10 = .700) were very good. But Camri, Elizabeth and Sam were so-so at best. Camri (7-5-23 = .087 plus 3 service errors) may have played one of her poorer matches as a Shocker. I hope her leg wasn't bothering her again. Mary Elizabeth was sporting the KT Tape on her lower legs again and Jackie had her right upper thigh heavily wrapped. Perhaps the season is starting to take a physical toll on the Shockers. Kelsey Banwart played probably her most extensive minutes of the year (perhaps because of Jackie's injury, although Jackie did play some). Kelsey has some work to do defensively although she wasn't horrible. Kelsey did serve the ball very well and had 3 aces vs only 1 service error. At this point though you take the win and move on.

Perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the evening was when 90% of the crowd left before the alumni game (1 set) was played. Kind of sad considering we had 3 of our All-Americans playing (Sara Younes, Sarah Lungren and Karen Augspurger) plus it was great to see Sarah McGee and Lindsey Eckenrode back on the court. The quality of play was actually better than I was expecting. Sara Younes is still very athletic especially considering she gave birth in the last six months. I think it was a little girl, so I hope Lambo started recruiting her tonight. I don't know if this simply was not communicated well to the fans or if the fans simply blew it off (which I would consider to be pretty disrespectful), but it was certainly too bad that these great Shocker alums could not have had a little more support. I'll climb off my soapbox now.

Comment

Guilty as charged. It hurt, really hurt, for me to leave, but I had family obligations. REALLY hurt.............

It was a lackluster performance last night....tomorrow night is going to be tough in many ways.

Comment

UNI did defeat Creighton tonight 3-1 by scores of 25-23, 20-25, 25-20 and 25-14. Looks like UNI will finish the regular season undefeated in MVC play and with only one loss overall.

Shocks and Creighton are now tied in the loss column. If both teams win their remaining matches they will be tied for 3rd, but I believe the Shocks will win the tiebreaker and will be the #3 seed in the MVC Tournament.

Not sure the Shocks have enough left in the tank to win the MVC Tournament and maybe not enough to even get to the Championship game.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Guilty as charged. It hurt, really hurt, for me to leave, but I had family obligations. REALLY hurt.............

It was a lackluster performance last night....tomorrow night is going to be tough in many ways.
          I shouldn't be so judgmental I suppose. But I really wasn't expecting to see a mass exodus. I'm hoping it was mostly a matter of poor communications and not our fans simly walking out on these ladies. Probably should shelve that idea in the future.

Comment

I know that they announced it at the WBB game on Wednesday, but I can't remember if I heard it or not at the Men's game. I just don't think that many people knew about it ahead of time, honestly. So I would say communication had a big part in the lack of crowd.

Comment

Two interesting comments from the Chalk Talk.

When someone asked about how far we needed to advance in the MVC tournament to get an at-large bid, Lambo was less concerned about that and more interested in our RPI. The last three(?) years, an RPI of 55 got you in the tournament. We currently (as of last Monday) are at 48, although both Oklahoma and Colorado State lost this past week which will not help. UNI is at 5, Missouri State is at 38 and Creighton is at 53. For future reference, http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1

He stated that he thought three of his teams have been Sweet 16 caliber (but we have had to go through the likes of Nebraska and Texas), and this year's team is one of them. For me, that one is hard to see.

One interesting comment from the post-game show. (Do they do broadcast this in the arena?)

They adjusted their rotation some and thought Camri would have an awesome night with her match-ups. As noted, that did not happen. The rotation probably had something to do with Kelsey's time on the court.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                When someone asked about how far we needed to advance in the MVC tournament to get an at-large bid, Lambo was less concerned about that and more interested in our RPI. The last three(?) years, an RPI of 55 got you in the tournament. We currently (as of last Monday) are at 48, although both Oklahoma and Colorado State lost this past week which will not help. UNI is at 5, Missouri State is at 38 and Creighton is at 53. For future reference, http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1
                In 2010, the lowest RPI for an at-large was Kentucky at 53. However they did not select 45 (SMU) or 47-52.
                In 2009, they took #67 (Clemson) and #55 (Washington State), but did not take 43 (Delaware), 45 (NDSU), 48 (Furman), 51-54, 56-58 or 60-67.
                In 2008, the lowest at-large was #50 (Tennessee), but they didn't take 41 (Miami-FL), 43 (Houston), 46 (Creighton) or 47 (Indiana).

Now some of those teams passed over may have had sub-.500 records for the year, which makes them ineligible for selection, and I'm not sure if the RPIs listed are the pre-tournament RPIs, or the "final" (post-tournament) RPIs for each season. But still.

I would say that an RPI of 40-49 is in the bubble range (sometimes in, sometimes out), and anything 50+ makes it quite iffy.

In any case, I'm pulling for WSU (and MSU, and even Creighton), as I like to see the MVC well-represented.

Comment

And of course, I meant no slight towards Coach Lamb with my corrections. He has much more important things to do than sort through RPI archives (plus he was pulling stats from memory), where as I have the luxury of being able to look it up (and having too much time on my hands, haha)

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                    I would say that an RPI of 40-49 is in the bubble range (sometimes in, sometimes out), and anything 50+ makes it quite iffy.

In any case, I'm pulling for WSU (and MSU, and even Creighton), as I like to see the MVC well-represented.
                    I would have to agree with on this. I think the Shocks can get in without winning the MVC Tournament if they can get to the Finals of the MVC Tournament from the #3 seed position. To be the #3 seed we will have to win our remaining 3 regular season matches (EU, @ILS and @INS), defeat the #6 seed in the 1st round of the tournament and beat #2 MSU in the semi-finals. I would anticipate that we would have UNI waiting for us in the Championship game. If Creighton would somehow upset UNI to get into the championship game then then a WSU-CU championship game would probably become an NCAA Tournament play-in game.

I don't think the MVC will get 4 teams in, but they should get 3 teams in. I think UNI and MSU are pretty much in. So it will come down to how Creighton and WSU finish out the season.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                      ... and I'm not sure if the RPIs listed are the pre-tournament RPIs, or the "final" (post-tournament) RPIs for each season.
                      These are post-tournament RPIs, being dated on or about 20 December. But I would not expect the tournament to move RPIs that much.

Comment

Bradley 3-2 Creighton

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                          Bradley 3-2 Creighton
                          Wow, that one is a big surprise. Not sure it really changes anything for the Shocks in terms of what they need to do, but it certainly goes a long way in helping the Shocks secure the #3 seed.

Comment

Shocks sweep a pesky (and I mean pesky) Evansville team 20, 18 and 21 on 2011 Senior Night. How Evansville has managed to go 3-13 in MVC play is a mystery to me. They certainly give the Shocks everything they have. Lambo simplified the game plan tonight a simply went to a "hang it, and bang it" strategy. Emily and Camri responded big time. Emily set a rally scoring era school record in a 3 set match with 23 kills (23-6-46 = .370) and Camri chipped in with 14 kills (14-3-31 = .355), 15 digs and 2 aces. Mary Elizabeth extended her carreer leading assists record with 46 assists and Waldo lead the way with 19 digs. Shocks played much better tonight than last night lead by inspired play from their 3 seniors and with the assistance of Emily's big arm.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to Mary Elizabeth, Sarah and Camri. Simply outstanding young ladies and role models. Could not really ask for anything more than what these ladies have contributed which is the very best they had. Best of luck with the remainder of the season, let's hope that incudes a trip to the NCAA Tourney, and best of luck in all your future endeavors.

:poster_shocks:

Comment

Indiana State sweeps Illinois State tonight in Terre Haute.

Comment

Working...
                              X