No announcement yet.

Cal Poly Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little bit of a faltering finish but the Shocks were plenty good enough to close it out with a 25-21 win in Set 4.

Really good scoring balance by the Shocks and good to see the middles have a key impact in the game.

Overall the Shockers played a clean match.

Throw out the last 9 points of Set 1 and the first 14 points of Set 2 when NT outscored the Shocks 17-6 I would say they did validate the Cal Poly performance.

Lambo gives the weekend a solid B grade. Lambo says the team learned a lot this weekend and are pretty motivated with they way they are playing.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 7, 2019, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Post-match comments

Gave Kora a chance and, since she had some experience, better results in the middle.

Wing defense still needs to improve.

A solid B for the weekend.

[Some other stuff - can't listen and type.]

Comment

Really nice to see the girls bounce back after the beating at the hands of Penn State last weekend and a poor showing against San Jose State on Thursday. The upcoming Shocker Classic will be a major challenge for this young team and I look forward to seeing how they can handle that.

Speaking of validation. NIcole and Sina back up their double-doubles against Cal Poly with another pair of double-doubles today against North Texas.

Also, my grandson did not have a concussion and his knee was just bruised. I think he was impacted by the heat and the constant pounding of playing quarterback and middle linebacker (8-man football) and was just pretty much exhausted by the end of the 3rd quarter.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 7, 2019, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          He's an 8th grader and isn't so little. He plays quarterback on offense and runs the ball often (they don't pass much although he has a great arm) and he plays middle linebacker on defense. Unfortunately, his supporting cast is pretty weak at this point in time. I think he is going to take a beating this year. They played Norwich on Thursday and I think the final score was 62-12. Isn't Norwich where former Shocker running back Don Gilley played his 8-man football? As the score indicates Norwich was the far superior team. My grandson had two long touchdown runs from scrimmage but one was called back for a penalty flag. He also had a kickoff return for a touchdown. He also got hit a lot. Sometimes by guys coming through unblocked. On defense he had several long runs trying to chase down Norwich runners. With the heat, the bruised knee and the general beating he had taken his goose was pretty much cooked when he was spun down late in the 3rd quarter hitting with his head making 1st contact with the ground. He was no doubt a bit wobbly and at that point he was pretty much tenderized and cooked well done anyway. I hope he can survive the season. I think he likes basketball better and he is a pretty good track & field athlete as well. Color me a bit concerned.

• Kung Wu
          Kung Wu commented
          Editing a comment
          His coach needs to protect him instead of running him into the ground!

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed Kung Wu. Also the rules on practicing in the heat have become so restrictive that the kids simply aren't adapted to handle playing in the heat when game time arrives. I'm all for being very careful when practicing in the heat but the rules in place may actually put the kids at higher risks in the early season games when it is hot because the simply aren't adapted and trained enough to handle it.

Cal Poly 3-0 San Jose Sate
        18, 14, 12

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm sure the Shocks would like to have that San Jose State match back.

Yes Don Gilly was from Norwich

Comment

Working...
        X