Cal Poly Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal Poly Tournament

Shocks head to Califorunia for the Cal Poly Tournament on Thursday, Friday and Saturday after escaping week 1 with a 2-1 record which was as good as they were going to be able to do. Thought it was somewhat of a mixed bag with some the Shocks showing some good things and also some areas that need work.

One area where I thought the Shocks struggled was with the passing. I think we can score if we can get comfortably in system but we need much better serve receive and passing to do that in my less than expert opinion.

Up first at 6:00 pm CDT on Thursday is San Jose State (1-2). SJS lost to the University of Pacific in 4 sets and were swept by UC Davis while earing a sweep over Montana to open the season this past weekend. SJS does not appear to have a go to player but the do seem to have a pretty balanced and diverse attack that spreads out the scoring. SJS does not appear to have great size. Certainly not like what the Shocks faced against Hofstra and Penn State. I may not be able to follow this one real close as I have a conflict on Thursday night.

On Friday night at 9:00 pm the Shockers take on a perrenially storng Cal Poly team. However, Cal Poly is in a weakened state the year with the loss of Adlee Van Winden to grraduation and even more significanlty the possible(probable ?) absence current year 6-3 senior OH Torrey Van Winden the reigning Big West POY and a AVCA All-America Honorable Mention who has not year. Torrey has not played since the end of last season due to concussion and post concussion syndrome as she missed the entire Sand Volleyball season played last spring and has missed all 3 of Cal Poly's opening weekend matches. Cal Poly was ranked 23rd coming into the season but after going 0-3 last weekend although against a good schedule they have dropped out of the Top 25 but are still receiving votes and are ranked #33 on that basis. Those 3 losses were to #12 Kentuucky and unranked St. Mary's in straight sets and to #19 Utah in a close 5-set match. I think the Utah match shows that Cal Poly can still be tough even without TVW. I don't know if there is any chance that TVW will be available ot Cal Poly this weekend but even if she is not I think this will be a tough match for the Shocks.

On Saturday at 2:00 pm CT the Shocks take on North Texas. North Texas beat the Shocks in 2 out of 3 matches they played last year. The Shocks swept North Texas in Denton last year but in the final match of the regular season they lost to North Texas at home in 4 sets then lost ot them again in 4 sets in the 2nd round of the NIVC in Denton. North Texas lost their setter and one starting MB to graduation but they have their 2 best offensive players back in 6-1 Jr.OH Valerie Valerian and 5-11 So. OH Rhett Robinson. Valerian had 43 kills in the 2 late season wins against the Shocker last year. North Texas is 2-1 with a 4-set win over Tulsa (who is picked just ahead of the Shockers in the AAC) and a 5-set win over Pepperdine with a 4-set loss to Illinois State. I am expecting this to be a tough match for the Shockers as well.

I would be very satisfied with another 2-1 weekend but just like last weekend that will not be an easy task.

Here are the match notes and links for the Cal Poly tournament.

Doesn't appear that there is any video available for these matches. I checked the BigWest.TV schedule but none of the Cal Poly Volleyball matches this weekend were on that schedule.

Hopefully, the live stats and Mike's equipment will be working well this weekend

Comment

• flyingMoose
      flyingMoose commented
      Editing a comment
      Presto Sports. Yet another LiveStats purveyor.

v San Jose State

Set One

Shockers 16-25 San Jose State

Behind early, middle and late.

.026 v .268

Comment

Set Two

12-9 and 13-12 leads become 15-20 and lead to a Shocker TO.

Arinanna is the libero though Kara was the libero in the first set.

Damadj off the court with an ankle injury in the middle of the set and will not return.

Kora on late in this set.

Shockers 18-25 San Jose State

.167 v .452

Sina and Damadj have four kills at this point with Megan having three.
      Last edited by flyingMoose; September 5, 2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Set Three

Arianna is the libero again.

Shocker lead of 11-4 and SJS takes a TO.

During the TO, Mike says that TVW will not play this weekend for Cal Poly.

Brylee went down with a left leg injury very late in this set.

Shocks played a 5-1 with McKayla in this set.

Shockers 25-14 San Jose State

.233 v .111 for the set

.131 v .283 for the match

Last edited by flyingMoose; September 5, 2019, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Rough day. Damadj on crutches and now Brylee Kelly out of the game with a knee injury. Not exactly what this team needs. They do lead 24-14 in the 3rd.

And close out the set 25-14 with Nicole Anderson finishing off the set. Hope the ladies are ok.

Comment

Mike says we got hosed at 2-1 on a kill that clearly hit a SJS player, but there is no replay.

Shocks are playing better. Chinelo seeing her first action.

Comment

Set Four

Small early leads for the Shocks with the latest tie at 10 then becomes 12-17 and the Shocks take a TO.

After 13-19, SJS takes a TO at 17-20.

Shockers 19-25 San Jose State
              Last edited by flyingMoose; September 5, 2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Too many mistakes, passing continues to be a problem and the Shocks are in deep trouble in the 3rd trailing 11-13 with little momentum and tough rotations.

11-14
                11-15
                15-20

Just too hard for us to score. We'll get better. This year (if we can stay healthy) and next year will be even better.

16-20
                17-20

Timeout Spartans. Keep fighting Shocks.

17-21
                18-21
                18-22 on a block on a Chinelo swing. That hurts.
                19-22
                19-23
                19-24
                19-25 Spartans win 3-1. Tough night for the Shocks with the 2 injuries.
                Last edited by WuDrWu; September 5, 2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Post-match Comments

Littles and setters were best on the SJS side, especially liberos. Absence of Gio hurts.

Damadj and Brylee being out will lead to some experimenting the rest of the weekend.

Need Sophia to step up and get over the new-on-the-court jitters.

The stats (I can't write as fast as Mike can talk) with have to wait for the box score - yet another sad LiveStats package.

Comment

Haven't practiced much defense and it's shown. Also haven't done a lot in the 5-1 and it affects the middle. If we're going to the 5-1 (sounds like we are short term at least) then Sofia has to play on the right, one way or the other.

He did not sound enthusiastic about the near term return of any players.

4 matches in and we may very well be down Gio, Bryee, Damadj with Brooke redshirting and Chinelo on a swing count. Already one of the youngest teams around.

Comment

Tough night all away around. A disappointing loss for the Shocks plus a couple of injuries. To top my evening off my grandson's middle School football team got blown away and my grandson ended up with a banged up knee and a possible concussion.

Did the Shocks play a 5-1 some tonight. Just wondering because Makayla had the great majority of the assists?

Comment

• flyingMoose
                        flyingMoose commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sets 3 and 4 were a 5-1.

Hope the grandson is okay, especially no concussion.

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      Haven't practiced much defense and it's shown. Also haven't done a lot in the 5-1 and it affects the middle. If we're going to the 5-1 (sounds like we are short term at least) then Sofia has to play on the right, one way or the other.

He did not sound enthusiastic about the near term return of any players.

4 matches in and we may very well be down Gio, Bryee, Damadj with Brooke redshirting and Chinelo on a swing count. Already one of the youngest teams around.
                      How healthy is Sophia? Doesn't look like she played much last night. Those abdominal strains can be hard to shake especially for outside hitters.

Comment

• flyingMoose
                        flyingMoose commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I got the impression from the post-match comments that health was not the issue. Rather, she has to believe that she belongs on the court.

Lambos post game comments didn't refer to any physical problems. But IDK. He sounded really down and kept comparing last night to SFA in Denton last year. He's got to be down about the injuries for sure. He seemed angry about the libero work. This is going to be a rough weekend and I hope they can stay positive and take some steps forward, if only baby steps.

If Brylee and Damadj are both out for significant amounts of time, there simply are no guaranteed wins going forward.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                        1972Shocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Except we were a lot more competitive in that SFA match. The Shocks scored 94 points in the 4 set loss to SFA last year and only 78 against San Jose State in that 4 set loss.

From last night,

Cal Poly 3-0 North Texas State
                      15, 10, 9

Comment

Working...
                      X