Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Volleyball Dinner & Auction

Volleyball Dinner & Auction Set for Aug. 24

The dinner will begin at 5:30 p.m. in the Aetna Multi-Purpose Facility in Charles Koch Arena.

In addition to dinner, there will be a silent and live auction, a chance to meet the 2019 Shockers, and, new this season, a black and yellow scrimmage.

Individual tickets are $40 and may be purchased by contacting the WSU ticket office at (316) 978-FANS.

Already looking forward to it. The official ringing in of another year of Shocker sports for me.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 18, 2019, 05:33 PM.

Got my tickets late last week. Still plenty of time to get yours. Looking forward to Saturday evening. I really like that the Shocks played their exhibition match last weekend. Gave me a chance to familiarize myself with all of these new faces. Need to get a pic with Lily and Shea. Us short people need to stick to together.

Comment

Spectacular as always. 400+ in attendance, amazing and engaging and fun team, wonderful coaches, good time as always.

Someone bought dinner with Wedge for 2k+. 2 trips to Italy for 17k each. Lots of silent auction items. Scrimmage too. They announced during question time that Chinelo separated her shoulder and was on a swing count and wouldn't play until released. No comment given on when that might be. Just after that one of the assistants commented that she was by far our best leaper.

Lambo stoked for the season. Don't think for a second he thinks they're going to finish 7th. Great evening.

Comment

I did a lot of people watching last night. I was a bit late to the party and didn't have a table so no 1 on 1 interaction with the young ladies where we were.

Absolutely LOVE watching the team egg on the bidders in the live auction. They probably get coaching on what to do, but their reactions are genuine and they have FUN. And it's a joy to watch them. I watched 3 freshman that were in total amazement when 2 people were going back and forth $100 at a time to have dinner with Wedge....it was if they were all thinking the same thing...OMG these crazy people are going to donate all this money for us???!!!!

Again, just watching, I was impressed with Nicole Anderson and Sofia Rowling who both were engaged with their tables, so mature, so engaged. Everybody likes to have fun, in whatever you do. But watching others enjoy themselves, that's a pleasure that's difficult to describe, and impossible to replace.

So much fun last night.

Comment

It was another fun (and very successful Volleyball Dinner & Auction). I think Brent Kemnitz, who handled the MC duties, said that they had record attendance this year and we needed to stay focused and set a fundraising record for the event as well. I think Lambo said they had set a record with the number of table sponsors. With the 2 trips to Italy sold that was probably achieved, What was impressive to me about this is this is coming of the first really down year in nearly 2 decades. Lambo even alluded to that in his remarks say he wondered when Shocker fans would get tired of this event. That doesn't seem to be happening.

The live auction was fun and the bidding was pretty impressive for the most part. I had my eye on the Charcoal Grill package because I am the market for one but I bailed out when they blew past my $500 bid.

I didn't get to talk much with a lot of the girls but did have brief conversations with Gio, Dmadj and Arianna. Gio is a gem and Dmadj and Arianna seem genuinely happy and excited to be Shockers.

I did snag one of the 25 Dinner With The Team spots so perhaps I will be able to interact with a few more players on October 1st.

Perhaps the most interesting Silent Auction piece to me was the signed Keeper of the Plains painting by the renowned local artist Lambo (very well done I might add). Unfortunately, I did not make back over to the table in time to get a final bid registered on that. Not sure what that went for.

Only had 3 other folks at our table but they were very nice and I enjoyed conversing with them including especially the Dad of a former Shocker baseball player.

Maybe next year we should think about a group of us ShockerNetters sponsoring a table. WuDrWu what is the financial commitment for that if you know?

My only mild criticism is that Brent should turn down the volume a little bit. I think he would actually be easier to hear and understand if he did. Thing is not sure he has the capacity to tone it down. He is certainly passionate about Shocker sports.

Also while Lambo did say that the European trip was the first international trip in Shocker volleyball history I don't think he or Brent mentioned that there were donation jars on each table for that. Maybe they did and I just missed it but the jars could easily have been missed by many.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 25, 2019, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• WuDrWu
            WuDrWu commented
            Editing a comment
            A table is only $500 but you get 8 tickets so it's really just another $100 to get a team member at your table. And while a crap shoot as to who you will get, you can hardly go wrong. But if you ever sat with say, Dani Mostrom or Mikaela Raudsepp, for example, you know how amazing it can be.

As far as the 2-set scrimmage goes not sure we found out anything new. Hopefully, Chinelo can get back into action relatively soon. The offensive fire power seems to be somewhat lacking at this time. Sophia I think is going to get a lot of playing time as a true freshman. Maybe part of that is we will are a better defensive team this year. Hard to say for sure at this point.

I thought Kara looked pretty good last night and most likely will be the starting libero but Arianna is not far behind her either. Sophia was the most impressive attacker I thought. Mikayla and Kayce would appear to be who will handle the setting duties. Still up in the air as to whether Lambo will go with a 6-2 or 5-1 offense. If I had to bet I would put my money on a 6-2 but we will see. Watching Sina serve this year is going to be fun (unless you are on the other side of the net). Megan and Emma are going to have to have really good years. I think Damadj is going to be a good, solid player for us this year.

In his remarks Lambo did make the observation that there were no Shockers on the preseason All-Conference team. I think there may have been a little bit of chip on the shoulder there and perhaps he was throwing down the gauntlet to his team a little bit as well.

I'm still expecting some growing pains this year but I am also expecting it to be kind of a fun year to watch this team grow and develop. Season opener is only 6 days away.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 25, 2019, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• WuDrWu
            WuDrWu commented
            Editing a comment
            No doubt Sofia is going to play. I continue to be amazed at how far along she is in her volleyball development. Plus she's athletic. She's a player.

Also Lambo and Mike Kennedy both challenging the Shocker fans to show up in big numbers for the Shocker Volleyball Classic with the Shocks hosting #4 Texas, #9 BYU and VCU. Lambo said it is not easy getting these elite teams to come to your place. They expect you to bring in top competition for them to play and they expect everything to be done the way they want it done including time slots for when they play. Big crowds also add to the allure.

Sounds like Penn State is on it's way to Wichita in the next year or two. They are preseason #8 this year but Lambo said they were pretty young and might very well be the top ranked team in the country when they come to Wichita.

Comment

As Doc said the Shocker players seem to enjoy themselves very much during this event and they a delightful young ladies. It did not take them long to sell out the cupcakes. But I think the group of players that get to handle the Diamond Dig may have the most fun. I came up empty on my scoop but my wife scooped up 2 small diamonds. We just missed having the winning ticket on the diamond dig raffle for the $2,000 prize but we did get a couple of tickets to the Volleyball match of our choice. A valued consolation prize.

Comment

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not sure all the girls realize their collective power. They could sell ice to Eskimos at these things. My group was looking for cupcakes but they gone.

The Diamond Dig is always like a full crap game in Vegas. I hope next year the girls don't leave for the scrimmage before the Live Auction is done. I fully believe their encouragement is responsible for at least a 25% bump in final price. I know for a fact I made one extra Italy bid just because an unnamed OH basically challenged me.

Not sure what the Volleyball Dinner & Auction fund raising is but with the European Trip auctioned this year I assume they probably set a new record at least in terms of the gross amount of revenue raised. I'm guessing they pulled in somewhere in the neighborhood of $90,000 from this year's event How much that will net after expenses is hard to say but the expenses can't be too much. Since the majority of this is volunteer work and donations. There is no doubt that this event has far exceeded Chris's and Shannon's expectations what this would do for the Shocker Volleyball program when this idea was 1st floated to them.

Comment

I couldn’t go this year because of a family commitment. I still remember the first one and the theme was Volleyball 101. Had a chance to talk to HCCL afterwards and he was truly amazed at that first turnout He said he expected 50 or so. Big surprise for him that night and knew he was in the right place to coach and live.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                I couldn’t go this year because of a family commitment. I still remember the first one and the theme was Volleyball 101. Had a chance to talk to HCCL afterwards and he was truly amazed at that first turnout He said he expected 50 or so. Big surprise for him that night and knew he was in the right place to coach and live.
                550+ this year even coming off off a less than stellar season last year.

Comment

The show of support by Shocker fans of our sports teams has always amazed me

Comment

Working...
                  X