Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocks Host Tulsa (Wednesday at 7pm) and North Texas (Saturday at 2pm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks Host Tulsa (Wednesday at 7pm) and North Texas (Saturday at 2pm)

Shocker Game Notes and Links

Other Wednesday Matches

USF 0-3 UCF

ECU 0-3 Cincinnati

Memphis 0-3 Tulane

SMU 1-3 Houston

Temple 3-1 UConn
    Last edited by flyingMoose; November 21, 2018, 09:46 PM. Reason: additional results

Comment

Very strange volleyball match. Pretty volleyball it was not. 18-25, 25-15, 25-15, 12-25 and 16-14. Shocks rallied from down 10-13 in the 5th set to serve for the match at 15-14. A Tulsa attack was called out and challenged. The point was upheld although I thought it looked in on a replay. Not sure how the Shockers won this one, but they won it. Good for them.

I thought Jordan Roberts had one of her better matches of her career. Still not connecting real well on the quicks in the middle but I thought Jordan was a lot better at it tonight than Kora was.

Emma Wright with perhaps her best match since returning from her broken thumb with a 14-1-26 = .500 attack line. Giorgia with 40 digs.

Really wasn't expecting the Shockers to win this one. Alex Koon did not play due to illness. Gotta give the Shockers credit for grinding this one out.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 21, 2018, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• flyingMoose
        flyingMoose commented
        Editing a comment
        Pedestrian first set.

Loose and free and easy with a lot of confidence in the second and third sets.

Fourth set when the Golden Hurricane ran off ten points in a row early, a hole the Shockers could not dig themselves out of.

From 10-13 in the fifth set, Kara Bown served the Shocks back to level, and Gio served from 14-14 for the win. Some ugly points went the Shockers way early in the set.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      The point was upheld although I thought it looked in on a replay.
      Do Replays eventually appear somewhere? On Yurview?

I thought the ball was out (from the same end of the court, but across the way) and assumed the protest was for a touch. I failed to watch the second referee give the signal for what was being protested, so I am not really sure.

Comment

Post-match interview with Lambo

Tulsa was protesting in-or-out. Though his view was blocked, the subs that could see down the line thought the ball was out.

The story of this year's team is when the other team pushes back, we don't push back. Matches were lost when the score was 1-0 or 2-1 in favor of the Shocks. Tonight was a little different.

He mentioned the continuing setting struggles and hoped Kora and Jordan could see this match as progress.

Post-match interview with Emma Wright
        Last edited by flyingMoose; November 21, 2018, 10:39 PM.

Comment

What a rollercoaster ride! Really didn't want the match going to the 5th set, but that reality set in pretty quick. Felt so good for the gals (and coaches) in winning the way they did in the 5th after having played so poorly in the 4th. Also because we had dropped our last 4 five sets matches.

I didn't see a replay, but thought the ball was out. Even their team on the floor looked like they felt it was out, but their coach had nothing to lose by having the official look at it. The first time the ref approached the Tulsa coach after the initial review, he seemed say "it was out" as he approached him.

Comment

I didn't realize it earlier, but this match can be found on ESPN3 as a Replay. When the play in question is shown from the end line, it is waaay closer than I realized. The call was quick and decisive, but the ball was probably not out by more than a couple of boards and those are skinny boards.

During the explanation to the Tulsa coach, I noticed the second referee place his arm across his chest, the sign for Inconclusive - not Confirmed, but not able to Overturn either.

Comment

Here is the replay of the game:

The were several replays of the final point with the best view being at about the 2:13:35 mark. Both Shane and Denning thought it was in. It looks in to me but the officials apparently didn't think it was indisputable evidence. If it had been ruled in and the Shockers challenged the call it would not have been overturned either.

You know with everything this team has had to deal with this year they deserved something to go their way. So if it was a gift win it was a well-deserved gift.

The Shockers 14th and 15th points of the 5th sets were pretty interesting as well. On the 14th point Kora kept setting Megan on the right pin. 1st tiime Megan hit it hard but Taylor Horsfall dug it, 2nd time Megan hit it hard again and Horsfall dug it again, 3rd time Megan hit it perhaps even harder and found the floor. On the 15th point Tulsa's stud Emily Thorson blasted a cross court attack from the left pin that Giorgia was able to dig. Giorgia was probably the only Shocker on the floor capable of making that dig. That saved the point which went back and forth after that with neither team getting a real good swing and finally the Shockers got the point ironically on a quick to Emma who just did get it enough off the top of the block to fall to the floor behind the blockers.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 22, 2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• flyingMoose
                flyingMoose commented
                Editing a comment
                The Yurview has the back-and-forth of the ball landing that ESPN3 does not have. Yeah, that slower view seems to have the ball on the line. In real-time though, that is a very tough call of course, and the second referee would not reverse it. Who knows what he had to look at - the back-and-forth or only the regular view?

And, yes, on some great digs by the liberos. As the teams were leaving the court, Lambo made some comment to the Tulsa libero, possibly a compliment on her play during the match and especially at the end.

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                Who knows what the officials had to look at is right. I think the replay camera system is totally independent of any game video being streamed. If that is the case then there is no way to know what the officials have to view.

Despite Her Injury, Kali Eaken is Still Making an Impact

We will never know what kind of season we might have had if Kali and Emma had not been injured. I am very pleased to hear that Kali continued to do what she could to help the team. She was just starting to come into her own I think when she went down. Tough way to have your career come to an end but sounds like Kali had handled it like a champion.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 23, 2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Rixtoy1
                Rixtoy1 commented
                Editing a comment
                I was shocked when they did not recognize her. I asked a "Super fan" that is always in a front row seat and she said Tabitha's parents petitioned the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility based on "something" (she thought it was based on not much playing time at Alabama), but whatever it was, the NCAA approved a fifth year for her this week and all evidence from today would support that. Good for us. I am sure Lambo will trade a bouquet for another year of her fabulous play. I will. (Sorry - supposed to be a comment on the below post . . .)

Do we know why Tabitha wasn't part of the senior day celebration?
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

She got an extra year of eligibility!
                “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• flyingMoose
                  flyingMoose commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Along those lines, Jordan had her Senior Day although she is only a junior athletically. I assume she will finish her degree this spring and is ready to move on to other things.

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Meghan Grimes also had her Senior Day although only a junior athletically. As with Jordan this is her 4th year at Wichita State. Both redshirted their 1sr year. Meghan also missed last year with a knee injury.

I'm also not seeing any basis for Tabitha getting an extra year. She played 15 matches and 61 sets as a Freshman at Alabama and as far as I know she was not injured at anytime that year followed by 3 very active years as a Shocker. OTOH Tabitha not participating in Senior Day activities seems very unusual and rather peculiar. Perhaps Tabitha simply did not want the attention before her final match. We may never know.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 24, 2018, 06:25 PM.

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  From what I heard at the match, she got a 5th year. Apparently, even someone from the NCAA was there today before the match and approved it. This was what was being floated out anyway.

BTW,

North Texas 3-1 Shockers
                20 (20) 22 19

The match that was intended to be a warm-up for the Tournament turns out to be a reflection of the season.

.272 v .322

Tabitha 18-2-38 for .421,
                Regan 16-4-43 for .279,
                Abby 10-3-20 for .350, and
                Grace 7-0-10 for .700 all had a nice day. Grace replaced Brooke midway through the second set.

I think it was the third set where the Shocks ran a 5-1 with Kora the entire set (and part of the fourth). Otherwise, they were in the 6-2 of recent vintage.

Comment

Wonder if the coaching staff is excited about this. Before anyone jumps my case i have sensed that they have not been very happy with the seniors all year long.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                    ShockTalk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm guessing it's the staff who applied for it. I'm sure some players see this as taking away minutes, but with good depth and experience, the minutes will work themselves out. Also helps protect against injuries.

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, this kind of thing would generally be Korey Torgerson's (Associate AD/Compliance) baliwick. I have heard many good things about Korey's competence in these matters.

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I believe this kind of thing would be handled by Korey Torgerson, Associate AD/Compliance. This is Korey's baliwick and I have heard Korey is quite good at what he does.

I think the sources of Lambo's frustrations are many and I don't think frustration with his 2 seniors was necessarily at the top of his list. In fact, i think he was very pleased with Kali and her going down was perhaps had the biggest impact on how the season unfolded thereafter. I think he will be totally happy to have Tabitha back next year but she won't be entitled to any special treatment.

Coach Lamb Post-Match Interview

He talks a lot about the mindset of the players during the season. Listen to it. That one sentence may not even be an entirely correct description.

He mentioned Kara and Regan as having solid second-halves of the season. The abdomen issue of Megan affected her play throughout the year.

He noted the team will be young again next year.

Comment

I was watching the Yurview.com replay of the North Texas match this evening and Shane Dennis reported that Tabitha had been granted an additional year of eligibility which, according to Shane, Lambo called it an unprecedented and unusual ruling by the NCAA and Shane also said that Tabitha will decide at a later date whether she wants to continue her volleyball career at Wichita State.

Since it is still uncertain whether Tabitha will return as a Shocker next year perhaps it is is possible this is something her family undertook. Not sure what the basis for the additional year of eligibility was. Perhaps something to due with what she was sold by Alabama when they recruited her. Hard to say. Maybe Tabitha's decision to return is mostly based on academics. Getting another year of college paid for sure can't hurt either in order to finish up her undergraduate degree or to get the 1st year of grad school paid for.

Bottom line is Tabitha does have an additional year of eligibility but at this point we do not know if she will return to Wichita State or not .

Comment

• flyingMoose
                      flyingMoose commented
                      Editing a comment
                      A Coach's Show topic?

I will refrain from commenting on "Tabitha will decide at a later date whether she wants ..."

• 1972Shocker
                      1972Shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Could be an interesting final coaches show. On the other hand it might not amount to much of anything. It was interesting that Tabitha's name did not come up at all in the post-match interview even though she had perhaps her best match of the year statistically. Not sure if there is anything to read into that or not.
                  Working...
                  X