Home Opener vs OU (6:00 pm Start)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Opener vs OU (6:00 pm Start)

Shocks have a very tough home opener tomorrow vs #22 OU.

Note early 6:00 pm starting time.

Even if Camri is able to play this will be a very diffucult match for the Lady Shocks. Obviously, it will be an even tougher task without Camri.

My guess is Lambo will not take any chances with Camri and she will not play.

Still you never know what can happen especially if we can get a large, supportive crowd for this match.

:goshocks:

give 'em hell, Shockers!
    (okay maybe that's a bit over the top, but it popped into my head so I typed it. I will be pulling for a WSU win over the Sooners).

Comment

Comment

Wow! Just wow! Had to hustle to make the 6:00 pm start but boy was it well worth it.

That was about $50 worth of entertainment for a $7 ticket.

Did I say, Wow? If not, Wow!

:clap: :goshocks: :yahoo:

Comment

Kelsey Banwart played the first set and no more. Her first home match was just too much for her it appeared.

We dug some balls, but Oklahoma DUG some balls. Twice they chased past the antenna to our side of the net and passed it back to their side to keep the ball in play. We may not see that twice the rest of the year.

Late in the fourth and twice early in fifth, Sam got some crucial kills.

Waldo had a great match, lots of nice passing.

Tara Dunn, a freshman for OU, took over one-third of their swings and got about 40% of their kills. Amazing!

A really fun match, just great to watch.

Comment

Yes, Kelsey seemed to be a little overwhelmed and hurt the Shocks early.

Ever notice how often Hooper is on the service line when the Shocks make their runs?

I thought Emily Adney was very good tonight, but OU made her work very hard for her 22 kills.

85 swings for the OU frosh. You won't see that very often. But what you may never see again is 85 attacks with only 2 attack errors.

Holding Suzy Boulavsky to a -.042 attack percentage is pretty good work by the Shocks.

Comment

The girls blocking was wonderful. Dunn set a record with those 85 attacks and 29 kills was the most for a Sooner in a match in a long, long time.

I thought OU was brilliant and as FM said, they DUG some rockets, time and time and time again.

Seriously, I am giddy....that was a HIGH QUALITY match that could have turned either way on a bunch of different points.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Classy move by Lambo recognizing Marci Alterman after the match.

I suspect Lambo talked Marcia into officiating one final Shocker match specifically so he could honor her contributions to the game in front of Shocker fans.

Comment

Marci had a tough match too....lots of tight calls. A couple of overrules on line calls.

And several of those on CRUCIAL points.

Well done Lambo!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                    Classy move by Lambo recognizing Marci Alterman after the match.
                    I was headed for the car to catch the post-game show, so I missed this. Mike made a reference to some kind of "ceremony", but what was this about? Is she retiring?

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                    I suspect Lambo talked Marcia into officiating one final Shocker match ...
                    Using two (quality) local officials is what I would expect for a mid-week single match starting at 6pm. And less things have really changed, the conference assigner for officials determines who goes where when and whether they are the up or down official when they get there. But Marcia is the conference assigner for the the Big 10, Conference USA and the MAC (and holds other, more prestigious positions in the volleyball official's world), so this may be the only match she is here all year.

Comment

Apparently, she is (has) retired. Lambo said last night was her final match.

Probably should have had the PA announcer mention that there would be a brief ceremony after the match.

Comment

Still can't believe how good that match was.........high quality for sure.

I really hope nothing is wrong with Camri and that we can rest her and develop some of the younger players in less challenging matches.

REALLY, REALLY happy for the 3 seniors last night. Hooper especially....she mentioned last year's NCAA loss, and I'll never forget her tears following that match...she was really hurting.

OU setter Brianna Barker was more highly thought of coming out of high school 4 years ago but MEH has gotten the better of her to the tune of a 4-1 career record against Brianna (who is outstanding..just not as good as Hoop).

Congrats ladies!

Comment

Not sure what, if any, Shocker records may have been set but OU set a few new "rally scoring" era records according to their match write-up.

In addition to setting an Oklahoma single match record for kills during the 25-point rally scoring era, (Tara) Dunn set a rally scoring match record (both eras) in attempts (85).

Oklahoma set single match records for attempts (235) and digs (113) and tied the record for kills (73) and assists (67).

Probably not single match records individually, but Camri and Emily combined for 41 kills on 132 attempts. Not sure, but wouldn't surprise me if those were new high for any Shocker duo.

Shocks also had 235 attempts, 116 digs, 79 kills and 75 assists.

Post-game comment and match highlight videos are at:

WICHITA, Kan.- Wichita State (5-4) rallied in thrilling fashion to defeat #22 Oklahoma (9-3) 3-2 in the Shockers home opener at Koch Arena. The Shockers lost the first two sets before winning the final three by scores of 25-27, 23-25, 25-18, 29-27, 15-13.

Comment

Working...
                          X