Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocks Host UConn (Friday @ 7:00 pm) and Temple (Sunday @ 1:00)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Tabitha said "I love that our fans still came out to support us". These players notice the support and don't think for a minute it isn't a very important recruiting tool for Lambo.

After the Friday match, the RPI for the Shocks is 40, but the Projected RPI is 52.

Comment

Sunday

Temple 0-3 Shockers
      19 21 19

Used a 6-2 again

.314 v .165 .. only 11 errors on 118 swings

Alex 12-1-23 for .478
      Regan 9-3-25 for .240
      Grace 8-0-17 for .471
      Tabitha 8-4-41 for .129
      Abby 6-1-10 for .500
      Megan 5-1-11 for .364

6 blocks v 1
      Service A/E 4/3 v 2/3

All in all, a solid performance, but not against the best of teams. Still had problems with quicks and there was some really ugly setting to build a 2-5 hole to start the third set.

Comment

Other Sunday matches

SMU 1-3 UCF

Cincinnati 1-3 Tulane
        13 23 (23) 21 - a bit of a stunner

UConn 1-3 Tulsa

Houston 1-3 USF

ECU 2-3 Memphis

UCF is undefeated in conference at 11-0. Cincinnati has two losses, Tulsa has three, Tulane has four and the Shockers and USF have five.

Comment

Post-match interview

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Lambo confirmed Megan's finger injury at the beginning of his post-match interview atlhough he did not name her but I think it was obvious who he was talking about. Lambo did not mention this in his Match Club chat and he usually is pretty open about injury updates. I am not sure whether this happened in pre-match warm-ups or early in the match.

The setting is somewhat inconsistent. Lambo said in the pre-game Match Club meeting that, Jordan, bless her heart, is just not a D-1 athlete and that Kora is much better setting from the front row than from the back row. However, he said they just weren't getting enough offense out of the 5-1 and that they will be sticking with the 6-2. While they still had problems with the quicks Kora and Grace did connect on several with good results. He said he was a bit surprised that Temple had not won more this year as they do have some decent talent on their roster.

The Shocks got of to quick starts in Sets 1 and 2 forcing Temple timeouts at 8-3 and 8-2. However, this team does have a bad habit of allowing teams to get back into matches after building big leads. In set 1 the let a 19-11 lead shrink to 22-18 before closing out a 25-19 win and in set 2 they let a 20-12 lead shrink to 22-18 before finishing off a 25-21 win. Perhaps it is just the ebb and flow of a match but they have done that quite a bit. The Shocks did do a good job finishing sets especially in the 3rd set when the answered a 3-point run from Temple to make it 16-15 with a 3-point run of there own and finished the set and match off winning 10 of the final 13 points. As flyingMoose mentioned the Shocks got off to a slow start in set 3. Their blocking helped them a lot to regain the advantage as they had 4 stuff blocks in their 1st 14 points.

The Shocks had pretty balanced scoring. They didn't go to Megan very much but she had her pinky and ring finger wrapped and not sure if that was a factor or not. Would like a little higher hitting percentage from Tabitha but her attempts were elevated by quite a few out of system balls that she just had to free ball over. I don;t think the Shocks' passing was quite as good today as it was on Friday.

It was nice to get a pair of sweeps this weekend but it is back into the fire next Friday at Cincy. An upset is not impossible but not likely either. Tulane did get Cincy in New Orleans today but that just make Cincy more focused next Friday.

Of general interest Lambo does seem to be pretty high on his 2019 recruiting class. He had previously mentioned there is some back row help on the way and today pre-match he mentioned a couple of hitters as well. One was NIcole Anderson, a 6-0 outside hitter from Plano, Texas, who he compared to Megan Taflinger. He mentioned another player with the 1st name Sophie (?) but I am not sure who this is.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 28, 2018, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            Other Sunday matches

Cincinnati 1-3 Tulane
            13 23 (23) 21 - a bit of a stunner
            Yes, it was although I posted the following in the match thread following the Shocks' win over Tulane:

I was pretty impressed with Tulane's talent and I think they will be tough out in the AAC this year (and in the future). It might be to the Shockers benefit that they only play Tulane once this year and that they got them early.

Comment

Regan Stiawalt post-matcht interview:

Comment

Working...
              X