Recruiting - Class of 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiting - Class of 2020

6'5" MB/RS. That's a good start. Not just a skinny string bean. Looking at the highlights from her sophomore year she looks like she has a strong frame that will only get stronger and a pretty powerful arm. She will need to work on her quickness and athleticism but the raw material seems to be their in spades.

She joins 6' OH Mariah Buss out of Lincoln, Nebraska as verbally committed in the Class of 2020.

Buss, a sophomore at Lincoln Lutheran High School, posted eye-popping numbers in helping her team to a 31-6 season with 684 kills (7.3 per set) on a .417 hitting percentage to go with 244 digs (2.6 per set), 48 blocks (0.5 per set) and 45 aces (0.5 per set). That came after she notched 427 kills (5.0 per set) on a .279 clip as a freshman in 2016.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 12, 2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Where does this go?

Let's put it here.

This.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably should have been in the Class of 2019 recruiting thread since Volleyball transfers do not have to sit out a year and, in any case, she would most likely transfer to where she will take of a scholarship.

I believe this is the 1st Shocker Volleyball commitment for the Class of 2019: OTVA‏ @OTVAvolleyball (https://twitter.com/OTVAvolleyball) Feb 8

Hard to say where this young lady would end up. I would point out that I believe she was recruited by the previous SIU coach, Justin Ingram, as she signed with SIU in Nobember 2016. Ingram than left SIU to take the UIC job in April 2017. Could be she will end up at UIC although no way to know for sure.

Her kills per set at 3.41 sound good but were the best on a very weak team. But she was also getting 10.6 swings per set. Her kill % of 32.3% and her error rate of 15.9% aren't anything special nor or any of her other stats.

Not sure she brings anything to the table that we don't already have with our returning outside hitters. We also have 6-1 Brylee Kelly redshirting this year and we have Nicole Anderson, a Class of 2019 6-0 outside hitter out of Plano, Texas who has verbally committed to the Shockers after decommitting from Boston College. Of course, Lambo is a far better judge of that than I am.

My very uninformed guess would be that IF Lambo brings a transfer in it would most likely be a setter.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 12, 2018, 05:16 PM.

• flyingMoose
        flyingMoose commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, a moment of madness to post it all. What happens when you have 30 seconds to waste.

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        It appears she has transferred to THE Ohio University.

Making the commitment with Marriah Buss:

Continued: https://twitter.com/riahbuss23/statu...42021788266496

Comment

• flyingMoose
        flyingMoose commented
        Editing a comment
        There is a thread on VT that speaks of what a great get Mariah is (or Riah, apparently) for the Shockers. A couple of posters who are Wisconsin fans wish she had chosen them. The Badgers, currently #6 in RPI, are a high quality program.

Don't bother to go read the thread - it quickly degenerates into a he-said, she-said about a Nebraska recruit and the circumstances surrounding her de-commitment.

Buss recently earned super state captain in Nebraska this year the equivalent to player of the year in the state, I believe.
      A hip injury plagued Lincoln Lutheran’s Marriah Buss throughout the 2018 season, and oftentimes, it left the junior on the edge of exhaustion as the Warriors battled late into matches.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
        https://volleymob.com/class-of-2020-...wichita-state/

Natalie was Division 1 Second Team in Michigan this year. Club is far more important than HS for competition, but still in a large state like Michigan, it's fairly telling. Well done Natalie.

Comment

Haven't had the time to research, but I'm hearing 2020 commits also from Cyra Kelley (5-8 L/DS from Nickerson), Hailey Plugge (6-0 S from Bakersfield CA), Lauren McMahon (6-2 MB Texas) and Sophie Childs (6-2 RS Bixby OK).

Quickly, I have nothing on Cyra but just being from Nickerson is good enough for me, Hailey appears to be a player and has success at the highest of club levels (plays 18 at the national level) Lauren looks good but needs strength and development and Sophie maybe a bit of a project with a lot of upside (think Brooke Smith). I am confident we have studs in Buss & Foster already.

I was able to confirm all except Cyra through either their own Twitter account or club account. Cyra does follow several WSU players or commits and WSU Volleyball.

Comment

Marriah Buss was a PVB Soph 79 last season but not on the Junior 50 (or others) this season. I have a feeling she'll be a Senior Ace next year though.

Comment

Lambo did mention on his radio show that he had another very good recruiting class coming in next year. If all these ladies do show up that would be a class of 6 coming in with only 2 seniors on rhe current roster and no redshirt juniors who might graduate. Chances are a couple other players may decide to move on if they aren't seeing the court much.

Sounds like next year that Lambo may very well get back to redshirting a good number of 1st year players.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 24, 2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Cyra Kelley plays for the Shockwave Volleyball Acadamy.

Here are some defensive highlights from the 2017 USAV Nationals so these are 2 years old:

Here are some hitting highlights form Cyra's sophomore year (although that won't be her role at Wichita State):

2018 Club Season Defensive Highlights:

Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 27, 2019, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Hailey Plugge (6-0 S from Bakersfiled, CA) highlights:

Comment

• WuDrWu
                  WuDrWu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Different level of talent that Hailey works with, no doubt. She has incredibly soft hands that suit a setter well. She's really good.

A couple of short clips on Lauren McMahon (6-2 MB):

Comment

Sophie Childs (6-2 OH) highlights:

https://www.ncsasports.org/womens-vo.../sophie-childs

Watch Sophie Childs's videos and highlights on Hudl. More info: Bixby High School - Girl's Varsity Volleyball / OH / Class of 2020 / Bixby, OK

Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 24, 2019, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Sophie has some serious upside.

Comment

I've heard that Cyra Kelley's teammate at Nickerson and with the Shockwave, Morgan Stout, a 6-0 middle, also is reportedly committed to Wichita State. Morgan's Instagram page would seem to confirm that. https://www.instagram.com/morgannstout/

Comment

Working...
                      X