Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Not surprisingly the VCU Invitational was cancelled this weekend. VCU had matches with Virginia, Toledo and South Carolina. Hope everyone there can stay safe and sound.

Leave a comment:

• JayPak
    replied
    Good RPI win for Iowa State, got a home sweep of 8-1 Wyoming.

Leave a comment:

• flyingMoose
    replied
    #24 Utah 0-3 #1 BYU
    20 14 17

RJP was 13-4-27 for .333

Leave a comment:

• flyingMoose
    replied
    Texas 0-3 Stanford
    15 22 30(not a typo)

The play again on Friday in Austin.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; September 12, 2018, 12:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    VCU was swept by Virginia Tech tonight 16, 18 and 21.

Stephen F. Austin defeated Rice tonight 3-1 by scores of 25-22, 21-25,30-28, and 26-24.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    commented on 's reply
    Probably not. I added them in my head. I looked at them again and agree with your totals.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 11, 2018, 10:31 PM.

• flyingMoose
    replied
    Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    ... the winning percentage of the Shocks' non-conference opponents moves to 65.3% (66-35).
    Hmm. I have 66-37 for 64.1%.

I double-checked and have these number of losses in order of the Shocker schedule:

2-5-6-5-1-0-4-3-2-8-1

Do I have an error in there somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• flyingMoose
    replied
    I think this goes in this thread.

I am watching a little of Samford at Alabama on the SEC Network+.

A lady in the stands is wearing a t-shirt that reads

SAM
    NOT
    STAN

Leave a comment:

• WuDrWu
    replied
    Thanks for all the updates folks, especially 1972Shocker and flyingMoose you guys are the best, and I really appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• flyingMoose
    replied
    Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    The Shocks only received 6 votes which is just inside the Top 40 vote getters.
    The Shocks were #23 on the Louisiana-Lafayette ballot and #25 on the ballots of Stephen F Austin, Arkansas, and UTEP.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    BYU has moved into the top spot in the AVCA rankings followed by Stanford.

Creighton has moved up to #10

Cal Poly has moved up to #14

Iowa State remains at RV#26.

The Shocks only received 6 votes which is just inside the Top 40 vote getters. Cincinnati received 10 votes. UCF not listed.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    #4 Stanford knocked of #1 Minnesota at home today 25-23, 23-25, 25-17 and 25-23.

With Creighton's 3-1 win over the Shockers today the winning percentage of the Shocks' non-conference opponents moves to 65.3% (66-35).

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    commented on 's reply
    Please accept my apologies and don’t take this the wrong way. A lot of people make this mistake and I definitely am not the grammar police and with a computer make a lot of spelling mistakes, etc. However, for some reason, it bothers me when accidentally misused so if your autocorrect on your computer took over, just ignore me.

These terms are not interchangeable.

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    West Virginia won a 5-set match over FGCU tonight in Ft. Myers that defies the overall match statistics. FGCU outscored WVU 114 to 91. FGCU hit .213 to .073 for WVU and had 67 kills to 40 for WVU. FGCU recorded 97 digs to 74 for WVU and had a 64.4% sideout % to 51.3% for WVU.

The set scores kind of tell the story of how this could happen. WVU by scores of 29-27, 11-25, 26-24, 10-25 and 15-13. A consistent, sustatined effort it wasn't but it counts as 1 win the same way a dominating sweep would.

However, not expecting WVU to have much success in the Big 12 this year.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 9, 2018, 04:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    James Madison is in Baltimore this weekend. They picked up two 4-set wins on Friday over Loyola (MD) and host UMBC to move to 7-2 on the year. They play Robert Morris today and looks like they are on their way to a sweep in that match. Update: JMU did finish of the sweep of Robert Morris 15, 16 and 21 to move their season record to 8-2.

Howard is in New Jersey this weekend. They were swept by host Rutgers 30-32, 17-25 and 25-27 and lost in 4 sets to Navy. They played fellow AAC member Tulane this morning and the Green Wave has just completed dismantling the Bison in a 13, 16 and 13 sweep as Howard falls to 5-5 on the year.

VCU picked up a 3-1 home win over Georgetown on Tuesday and are playing in Tallahassee this weekend. On Friday they swept 12,17 and 16 by host Florida Stated to fall to 2-6 on the season. They play Florida A&M and Southern Miss today. Update: VCU lost set 1 to winless Florida A&M but won the next 3 to pick up a win and then came back this afternoon to sweep Southern Miss.to improve to 4-6 on the season.

West Virginia is in Ft. Myers, Florida this weekend. The swept Western Illinois on Friday to move to 3-4 on the season. They play Albany and host Florida Gulf Coast today. Update: West Virginia failed to show against Albany today and were swept 16, 15 and 21. West Virginia gets dominated statistically in the match but pulls out a 3-2 win over FGCU to move to 4-5 on the season. More on this match in a separate post.

#4 Stanford is playing at home this weekend. They picked up a 23, 20 and 20 sweep over #5 Penn State to improve to 5-1 on the season. The Cardinal plays #1 Minnesota on Sunday. To finish off their non-con season Stanford hosts #6 Texas on Tuesday and then travel to Austin to plays the Longhorns again on Friday.

#3 BYU is in Milwaukee this weekend and they continue to roll with sweeps over #10 USC (28, 21 and 14) and Syracuse (23, 20 and 20) on Friday to move to 7-0 on the season. BYU plays host #25 Marquette this evening. Marquette picked up a 5-set win over Southern Cal on Friday evening. BYU knocked off a game Marquette squad 3-1. Marquette won set 1 25-23. BYU took the 2nd set 25-22. With BYU up 19-18 in Set 3 a Marquette attack error followed by 2 BYU service aces made it 22-18 and BYU closed out the set at 25-20 and then rolled to a 25-14 win in set 4 to close out the match. BYU moves to 8-0.

As previously reported #14 Creighton bounced back from their 5-set loss to #7 Nebraska to knock of Iowa State in 4 sets on Friday evening. Creighton moves to 5-3 on the year and Iowa State falls to 5-3. Update: Iowa State moves to 6-3 with their 5 set win over the Shocks.

Stephen F. Austin is hosting a 4 team tournament this weekend. SFA picked up wins over Tennessee State (3-1) and St. John's (3-0) on Friday to mover to 7-2 on the year. They play Stetson and Grambling State today. Update: SFA beat Stetson in 4 sets and swept Grambling State. They move to 9-2.

North Texas is at Kansas State this weekend. They were swept by K-State and lost in 4 sets to Nebraska-Omaha on Friday to extend their losing streak to 6 matches after opening with 3 wins. They play RV#34 Oregon State today. Update: North Texas swept by Oregon State to fall to 3-7.

On Tuesday North Texas hosts #2 Wisconsin before finishing their pre-con schedule next weekend hosting Mississippi State, Wichita State, Stehpen F. Austin and Cal Poly. A 12 match losing streak heading into CUSA play is a definite possibility for the Mean Green.

As previously reported #22 Cal Poly picked up two big home wins over #9 UCLA this weekend to move to 7-1 on the year. Look for Cal Poly to move into the Top 20 on Monday.

With the Stanford-Minnesota match and the Shockers match with Creighton the only matches on Sunday the Shocker's non-con opponents are at 64-35. 64.6%. That is certainly acceptable considering North Texas has been struggling and looks like they will continue to struggle in pre-conference play. Hopefully, they will be able to recover some ground in the CUSA season.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 8, 2018, 09:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X