Opening Weekend for Shocker Volleyball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Weekend for Shocker Volleyball

For me the Volleyball Dinner and Auction has come to be the ringing of the bell on another season of Shocker athletics and he we go as a significantly revamped lineup will take the floor this week at James Madison on Friday (Aug 24 at 6:00 pm), at Howard on Sunday (Aug 26 at 2:00 pm) and at VCU on Monday (Aug 27 at 4:00 pm ). All times are CDT.

Opening the season with 3 East Coast oppoents in individual road matches as opposed to playing in a tournament format is unusual. Leave it up to Lambo to think outside the box in putting putting his schedule toghether. the Shockers play their first 11 matches of the seaon away form Koch Arena.

Actually, James Madison is hosting a Touranment this weekend that includes Missouri (the Shocks opponent in Round 2 of last year's NCAA Tournament at Koch Arena), Fairfield and Delaware State with those teams playing each other. Somehow Lambo was able to squeeze in a single match against James Madison. Having matches at home agaisnt Missouri and Wichita State is a great opportunity for James Madison to build a resume.

James Madison was 23-6 last year with an RPI of 54. They made the NCAA Touranment by virtue of winning the CAA Tournament as the #3 seed. The lost in the 1st round of the NCAA Touranment to Colorado. :Looks like James Madison has everyone back of any consequence from last year. They aren't real big overall but the do have a 6-4 middle who is one of their reading scorers and their setter is 6-1. I would expect this to be a very tough opening match for the Lady Shocks.

If there is a bit of a breather on this trip that would probably be the Sunday match at Howard although they better not look past the Bison. Focusing on the task at hand was a strength of last year's squad. We'll see if this year's Shockers have the same ability to focus. Howard, who plays in the MEAC, were 16-16 last year and had an RPI of 224. Howard did graduate there two leading attackers and by far their two leading scorers from last year. Hopefully, with Saturday and off day, the Ladies will get to do some sight seeing in the Nation's Capital.

VCU is the reigning A-10 champs after completing an outstanding 30-3 season last year with an RPI of 35. The Rams lost to Pitt in the opening round of last year's NCAA Tournament. Looks like the Rams graduated their 3rd leading scorer and their libero form last year with everyone esle of significance on that team returning. VCU isn't overly big but do have a 6-3 middle and a 6-2 rightside hitter. This will be another tough match.

It won't be easy coming back to Wichita unscathed after these 3 matches.

Paul Suellentrop takes a look at the Emma Wright and Abby Pugh who are apparently the heir apparent as he Shocker Medallions.

In that article Lambo made some interesting comments about this year's team at this stage.

With the Shockers less than a week from opening the season, Lamb is pleased with his scoring and waiting for defense to develop. Starting late last week, he increased the number of scrimmages and is beginning to look at the statistics and performances that will shape the lineups.

"While we graduated a lot of offense, right now, I feel like the strength of the team, relative to other aspects of the game, is still offense," he said. "My hope is we defend, serve and pass."

Comment

JMU played at Virginia in a 5-set exhibition match this past Saturday losing 4 of 5 competitive sets. Scores were 25-22, 23-25, 24-25, 18-25 and 12-15.

Comment

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        Virginia wasn't strong last year and is picked next to last in the ACC. Drawing conclusions off that little info is dicey at best.

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        No doubt. Plus drawing conclusions from any exhibition match is a little dicey not to mention the fact that at this point the Shockers have a lot of questions needing to be answered. I thing JMU will provide a very good opening match challenge for the Shocks.

One thing that probably will be a certainty is that Tabitha will have a big target on her back. Why every volleyball team Wichita State plays will try to stop this outside hitter

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

Comment

Best wishes to Shocker vb fans for a 2018 repeat AAC title and NCAA berth. Great to see the WSU/ISU/CU triangular continue (and at last be hosted in Omaha!). Despite key personnel losses, neither Lamb nor Booth is backing away from their standard rigorous non-conference schedule. Enjoy the new season!

Comment

• flyingMoose
          flyingMoose commented
          Editing a comment
          Coach Booth stated in the past the she had some chits to call in to get another team in the triangular. Did that fall through? Did the other coaches say, No, we like it the way it is? Some NCAA scheduling stipulations get in the way?

• JayPak
          JayPak commented
          Editing a comment
          @Moose I remember what you are referring to, but don’t know the answers to your questions.

I find it interesting that Lambo thinks that, relatively speaking, the offense will carry the team, or at least is the strength of the team, early in the season at least.

He didn't mention much about Brooke Smith who spent a lot of time at the end of the season as the M2. They did talk up Emma Wright's improvement more than once. Maybe Pugh is a lot better too.....just hard to imagine where the offense is coming from outside of Tabitha, especially considering we've relied on a very attacking setting for the last 2 years+ and I don't think her replacement is quite that type of player.

Thinking out loud to the 3-4 people that pay attention here...….

Comment

Hey Wu, hopefully more than 3-4 are paying attention. Personally we do more reading than posting. Tabitha is probably the key, I know they tried to make her a six rotation player last year but it didn't work out. I believe Alex and the middles need to come through for a successful season. Seems like we always hear the littles are a work in progress, but it always seems to work out.

Comment

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            "Hey Wu, hopefully more than 3-4 are paying attention."

There are.

• RoyalShock
            RoyalShock commented
            Editing a comment
            With several knowledgeable VB posters here, I read more, post less.

Guess the starting lineup:

I'm sure I'm wrong, but I just find it exceedingly hard to believe that we're not going to run a 6-2 and that Kora hasn't progressed enough to warrant playing time. Maybe I should remember that one of the 5 best players ever to put on a Shocker uniform had to wait 2 years behind MEH.

I'll go with a front row of MTaflinger, EWright & Alex Koon, and a back row of KEaken, TBrown and GCivita

Swap out KKauling and APugh for Kali and Emma and Gio at the Libero. Tabitha never comes off the court all year.

I wouldn't bet a single dollar that I'm right.

I'll guess that at least 1 freshman doesn't redshirt this year. Maybe 2.

Other speculations?

Comment

I am afraid Tabitha does not have the leadership to step up and be like Jordan Thompson for Cincinnati. I guess MTaflinger was the player Lambo used to refer to a lot last year when he spoke about someone who can take the redshirt of in case of emergency. I see Megan and Chase to give strong contribution.
            we won't see Hitting % like those of Abbie's so we cannot rely on one player we need to diversify a lot the source of attacking

I think at some point to keep some fire power and diversify the attacks no littles on the back row only the Libero and OH on back rows for having back row attacks options

New freshmans: Chinelo...supposed to be very good

Comment

Clearly the only certainties in the lineup at this point are Tabitha and Gio. Alex is a good bet because of her experience and consistency. Regan Stiawalt would have been someone I would have picked as a possible starter until you reported she was in a boot at the Dinner & Auction. Any updates on her?

Lambo may be playing musical chairs with his lineups for a while looking for what mix works the best for this team. Probably will also be experimenting with both a 5-1 and 6-2 offense for the same reason.

We'll either know a hell of a lot more about this team after Monday although that range from very good to maybe not so good.

Comment

Article on the setting position. I know almost nothing about Kora and even less about Kali. Jordan is a fantastic kid and has been solid this summer but I just don't see the upside that Kora brings. I hope they all 3 get some chances.

Comment

Where do the points come from for Shocker volleyball?

Senior outside hitter Tabitha Brown is the focal point of Wichita State's offense – and opposing defenses. She earned honorable mention All-American honors in 2017 after hitting .268 with 385 kills.

Indications are Brown is prepared to produce her strongest season as a Shocker.

"She never takes a play off," middle Abby Pugh said. "She's working so hard, pushing us all to work harder."

The setter's job is open and Shocker coach Chris Lamb expects to play senior Kali Eaken, a transfer from Louisville, junior Jordan Roberts and redshirt freshman Kora Kauling this weekend.

The Shockers open at James Madison, the Colonial Athletic Association preseason favorite on Friday (Aug. 24).

Senior outside hitter Tabitha Brown is the focal point of Wichita State's offense – and opposing defenses. She earned honorable mention All-American honors in 2017 after hitting .268 with 385 kills. Indications are Brown is prepared to produce her strongest season as a Shocker.

Comment

Set One

Looks like a 6-2 to start with against JMU - Eaken followed by Kauling.

Trailing 6-12 Lambo takes a TO. Shocks are hitting negative at this point.

The Shocks bring it back to 11-12 (one kill, one service ace, three JMU errors) and the Dukes take a TO.
                    Last edited by flyingMoose; August 24, 2018, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Emma with Kali and Kora with Abby. 6-0 run out of the timeout gets it even at 12. Exchanging points now at 13.

14-13 JMU.

Comment

Megan Taflinger off to a good start with 4 kills on 4 swings.

16 all.

Comment

Working...
                        X