Shocks Narrowly Picked to Win the AAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks Narrowly Picked to Win the AAC

Shocks recceive more respect from their AAC compatriots as they are picked to win the AAC again this year. However, the voting is tight among the Shocks, Bearcats and Owls. The Shocks garnered 6 frist place votes while Cincy picked up 5 and Temple picked up the final first place vote. SMU is a solid 4th place pick. The only unanimous pick appears to be Memphis at the bottom of the 12-team league.

Cincy's Jordan Thompson is back after missing all of last year with an injury and is picked as the preseason Player of the Year.

Tabitha Brown and Giorgia Civita are are Preseason All-Conference picks.

https://goshockers.com/news/2018/8/1...ican-poll.aspx

Five reasons why Wichita State is still considered the favorite in AAC volleyball

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE.

Comment

A healthy Jordan Thompson is more than worth the price of admission. Again, healthy, she's head and shoulders above the next best talent in the American.

Comment

Probably won't make the 101 this year unfortunately. Really was hoping to meet some of the new kids and visit with Chris and Shannon a little. In the last couple of days I am hearing that there has been some progress made and things could be better than my somewhat gloomier predictions. Imagine that from the Coach of the Year.

Comment

I am finding myself int he same boat this year Doc and I will definitely miss being there. I have bought my season tickets and submitted my Shocker Match Club membership however so I am ready to rumble.

Good to hear a positive report. I think this year may actually be quite fun withn so many new faces taking center stage and not just in Vollebyall. Both Men's and Women's basketball are pretty much getting a total makeover. Women's track and field has half the team coming off of a redhsirt year which will be interestong to follow. Women's golf and softball not repalcing big numbers but certainly have to replace some very significant talent. To me it is part of the allure of College sports.

Hopefully, the have another good turnout at the Dinner & Auction this year. I plan on being back at the event next year. We certainly don't want to take this program foir granted.

Comment

Doc have you heard any scuttlebutt about whether Lambo plans on using mostly a 5-1 or a 6-2 or perhaps some combination of the two?

Comment

Now that I have a mole planted, I expect to get tons of good inside information. Unfortunately, my mole is crap so far. I'm expecting good reports from the banquet though and will gladly pass along what is reported to me.

Comment

Is there a challenger for Wichita State in the American Athletic Conference volleyball race?

The Shockers went 20-0 in their AAC debut, pushed to five sets once. While coaches voted them first in the preseason poll, the 2018 conference schedule (now 18 matches) will present more challenges.

Wichita State lost six seniors, including American Athletic Conference Setter of the Year Emily Hiebert and Player of the Year Abbie Lehman. Much of the lineup steps into bigger roles or is new to Shocker volleyball.

Conference coaches gave the Shockers six first-place votes with Cincinnati grabbing five. The Bearcats, 13-19 last season, return 2016 American Player of the Year Jordan Thompson, an outside hitter. She sat out 2017 with an injury. Jade Tingelhoff, the 2016 American Setter of the Year, is also back.

Temple, 20-10 last season, put three Owls on the preseason all-conference team – outside hitters Irem Asci and Dana Westfield and middle Iva Deak. SMU, the 2015 and 2016 conference champion, went 20-11 last season to mark its fifth straight 20-win season.

Senior outside hitter Tabitha Brown is the focal point of Wichita State's offense – and opposing defenses. She earned honorable mention All-American honors in 2017 after hitting .268 with 385 kills. Indications are Brown is prepared to produce her strongest season as a Shocker.

Comment

Don't think I'll start a new thread on rankings. Our schedule just doesn't seem like a good fit for being ranked this season. Anyway, the first regular season poll has been released.

Shocks are still at #29, falling behind Louisville and jumping Missouri. They got 103 votes in the preseason and only 74 today.

Future opponents.... #1 Stanford, #9 BYU, #15 Creighton, #24 Cal Poly, #27 Iowa State.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I see Northern Iowa is in 17th. Helluva good weekend with a sweep over Creighton, a 5-set win over Kentucky and a very competitive 3-set loss to USC.

UNI may not lose a match this year in Valley play.

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Don't think I'll start a new thread on rankings. Our schedule just doesn't seem like a good fit for being ranked this season. Anyway, the first regular season poll has been released.
                  Never fear - I will abuse us with that stuff later.

The AVCA Poll gets promoted but is really kind of worthless. When we get three or four weeks into the schedule and Pablo and the RPI start to have some meaning, I'll start something up. (The RPI mostly because it is what the Committee relies on heavily.)

Comment

The weekly AVCA poll is out. The Shocks are still receiving votes an have an implied ranking of #31 with 26 votes (tied with fellow AAC .member Cincinnati). UCF received 12 votes this week.

BYU moved up to #3 and received 7 first place votes. Stanford fell to #4 but still picked up the 2nd most 1st place votes with 8.

The Big 10 has 4 teams ranked in the Top 7.

Creighton is at #14 and Iowa State tops of list of those receiving votes outside of the Top 25. I think Iowa State may be a bit undervalued but it's early. Northern Iowa dropped out of the Top 25 but is right behind Iowa State in those receiving votes.

Cal Poly who the Shocks play weekend after next is still in the Top 25 at #22. Northern Iowa dropped out of the Top 25 but is right behind Iowa State in those receiving votes.

Comment

Zero cupcakes for UNI so far. Lost 2 rugged matches to Wazzu this weekend and Iowa State during the week. Iowa State was very solid when I watched that match. Not Stanford or BYU for sure, but still plenty dangerous.

We'll have to be outstanding to get one match this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                      X