New Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Transfer

Per the Rich Kern site (which is a tremendous resource by the way) WSU has obtained Penn State transfer Michaela Putnicki. The 6'1 FR OH from Colorado is likely to be a 6 rotation player for the Shocks. Putnicki didn't play much this year for the Nittany Lions, who spent most of the year #1 in the country and beating the snot out of everyone not named Nebraska, but she was a top 100 recruit Senior Ace last year and is likely the most skilled player since Chelsea Feekin, at least. Her addition will certainly help fill the void left by our outstanding senior class. Big time get for Lambo.

This is the kind of transfer you need when you have a senior exodus like we'll have. Great job, Lambo.

Comment

Thought its not spelled the same, apparently we needed a new Michaela! The Michaela/Mikaela factor...
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Will she have to sit out a year or are the transfer rules different that BB?
        Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

They are different.. no sittig

Comment

• WuDrWu
            WuDrWu commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly, there is no sitting out in Volleyball. In fact, it's fairly safe to assume that she'll be here for the spring semester and spring volleyball. With all the new faces, that will be interesting to watch this upcoming spring.

• WheatShock
            WheatShock commented
            Editing a comment
            How reasonable.

Here's a report from VolleyMob.com on Michaela's transfer:

https://volleymob.com/former-hs-amer...st-wichita-st/

I think Lambo did mention a transfer would be coming in for the Spring semester. I don't think he can probably say much more until the semester starts which I think is January 16 or thereabouts.

Too bad playing in a total of 3 sets during the year cost MIchaela a year of eligibility. She will have 3 years of eligibility remaining. I assume she was on scholarship at Penn State but I guess you never know for sure but just the fact she was on their roster would indicate she has some skills. 2016 Colorado Gatorade Player of the Year and a Third-Team Under Armour All-American selection.

The last player who hailed from Colorado and went back East to play 1 year before transferring to Wichita State turned out to be a halfway decent player. Also an Outside Hitter that former Shocker hailed from about 20 miles south of Michaela's hometown of Monument Colorado.

Not saying Michaela will be as good, but she doesn't have to be to be a solid contributor.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 5, 2018, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Here is some high school video of Michaela Putnicke in action:

Hopefully Michaela can match MIkaela's on court skills. Matching Mikaela's character, leadership and other intangibles might be a lot more of a challenge.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 9, 2018, 09:45 AM.

Comment

I see some Jody Larson here, hopefully as well rounded and brings that same intensity. Going to be an interesting year.

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
                Going to be an interesting year.
                That it is. Not much set in stone at this point at least from my limited perspective.

Tabitha and Giorgia for sure and most likely Kora Kauling at setter. Everything else seems to be wide open.

Lambo probably has an idea who the other frontrunner's are but he also is open-minded to any player that can step up their game. The competition in the Spring could be spirited.

Comment

Yeah those 3 are pretty much guaranteed, but I would even consider Kora's role more likely than Tabitha (both are in the 99th percentile I think). Beyond those 3 I have no idea and have to think it's wide open. Clearly Emma Wright, Brooke Smith, Alex Koon and probably Kara Bown have the inside track to some regular PT, but it's going to be open season. The spring will be very interesting.

Comment

I would think So Chase Jackson will also be a priime candidate for PT. Other returning players Lambo has mentioned include RFr Megan Taflinger and RSo Lauren Hinrichs on the pins and you have to believe newcomer Michaela Putnicki will be a strong contender to be in the mix as well. Lambo aslo mentioned incoming freshman Grace Burken as being skilled enough to step in at MB as a freshman.

It will be interesting to see who can step into the DS roles to replace Hanna and Gabi. WuDrWu mentioned Kara Bown and that makes sense. Maybe RFr Jenna Mak as well.

But if you are player looking for an opportunity to shine and get some playing time then here is your shot.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 10, 2018, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Michaela Putniick officially on board plus the Shocks add a 2nd transfer as well with 5-10 Kali Eaken from Louisville.

Not sure what the story is on Kali Eaken. Highly rated out of Bishop Miege High School. Redshirted year at K-State.(2014) then transferred to Louisville. Played 3 years at Louisville and will be a Redshirt Senior at Wichita State. This one seems quite unusual to me. She played quite a bit in 2016 for Louisville but only played In 16 sets last year. Perhpas Lambo's not quite convinced Kora Kauling is totally ready, maybe he's thinking 6-2 or maybe something else totally.

http://goshockers.com/news/2018/1/15...l-program.aspx
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 17, 2018, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                        1972Shocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Deleted

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Perhaps Lambo's not quite convinced Kora Kauling is totally ready, maybe he's thinking 6-2 or maybe something else totally.
                      Perhaps she is coming without a scholarship and has been offered no guarantees other than the chance to compete for playing time.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                        1972Shocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Certainly a possibility.

Kali barely played last season and not because of injury. Might just be a Kansas girl wanting to be closer to home. Nothing wrong with a safety net even if that's the case.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                        1972Shocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Also a very reasonable possibility.

One thing Kali Eaken brings to the table, which I think Lambo likes in a setter, is that she is left handed. Not that we have had many lefty setters. The one we did have was pretty good and her last named rhymed with Eaken.

Comment

Working...
                      X