Emily or Abbie? AAC Player of the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my bad - wrong quote . . .
    If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Comment

Nice piece by KSN on Emily and Abbie.

When they reflect on the last 4 years: "Best time of my life. Glad I got to do it with you."
      From 9th graders at Newton to AAC Player and Setter of the Year
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 4, 2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

There is a terrific article on Emily Hiebert and Abbie Lehman titled Going Out in Style by Scott Paske in the Fall/Winter 2017 The Shocker (The WSU Alumni Magazine) that I would highly recommned if you can get your hands on a copy.

Some highlights:

"Two No. 1 draft picks in the same draft" is how Lamb describes the duo, who started their Shocker careers by signing letters of intent less than 30 miles away at Newton High School in November 2012. "I knew Emily would be great. We just had to switch her over to the setting position because I knew she could do it. I didn't know Abbie would become so powerful and so versatile and have so much of an impact for four years."

Wichtia State has had its share of prominent sports duos over time, notably in men's basektball with Antoine Carr and Cliff Levingston in the 1980's and, of course, Ron Baker and Fred VanVleet. But it's rare to find a pair on any team who arrive on campus at the same time from the same place and leave an indelible mark.

Ask them how they ended up on this path -- from acquaintances the first day of summer conditioning as high school freshmen to teammates and college roommates their entire time at WSU -- and laughter ensues. Lehman transferred to Newton from Hesston Middle School. Although her older siblings had done the same, she was still the new kid in school. " I do remember Abbie's mom (Karen) telling me "Oh, thank you so much," says Pam Hiebert, Emily's mother. "Tell Emily thank you so much. She went and sat with Abbie at lunch on her first day."

Hiebert was on a fast track to WSU, orally committing to the volleyball program as un underclassman. Lehman's initial intention was to play NCAA Division II basketball like her sister, Kate, who starred at Fort Hays State. But right before Lehman's senior season at Newton, Lamb, who had frequently watched Newton play while recruiting Hiebert, noticed rapid development in Lehman's volleyball skills at a Shocker camp for high school players. "Something clicked that summer." Lamb says. "It was like, 'Look at Abbie Lehman go. She's moving laterally, she's changing directions, she's fast off the ground -- and she's starting to really hit the ball."

While the opportunity to be a Division I student-athlete was enticing for Lehman, it was only part of her decision. "Emily was a huge factor, " Lehman says. "Knowing someone who was going to be there and that I would always have someone to talk to -- because I was a really, really shy kid -- so just knowing that I would have someone there to go through that with was huge."

That feeling was mutual for Heibert, paticularly during their first fall at WSU as Fairmount Towers roommates and volleyball redshirts. "Our systems that we run here at Wichita State are super complicated," Hiebert say. "I remember going in for our first couple practices of double days, and I'd go back to the dorm crying. It'd be so hard to remember everything and learn everything, but it was a great time to get to learn.

Abbie Lehman credits Shocker head coach Chris Lamb for her development throughout her collegiate career. "I could probably sit and talk with someone abut volleyball for hours now because of how much he's taught us about the game," Lehman says.

"Both of these young ladies have been so humble in their approach to this thing and so approachable around their teammates," Lamb says. "They've just been perfect."
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 28, 2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Congratulations to Mikaela Raudsepp on her selection as a fall sport recipient for the NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship program. Mikaela will receive a $7,500 scholarship to be applied toward the graduate degree program of her choice.

Awardees are evaluated on their academic and athletic achievement, campus involvement, community service, volunteer activities and demonstrated leadership. The program rewards college athletes whose dedication and effort reflect the characteristics needed to succeed in graduate study.

Mikaela is certainly very deserving of this scholarship.
          WICHITA, Kan. – Wichita State volleyball student-athlete Mikaela Raudsepp has been selected as a fall sport recipient for the NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship program.  

Comment

Working...
          X