X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocker Match Notes

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Emily Hiebert, as has been reported, is now the career total assist leader.having just passed Mary Elizabeth Hooper in yesterday's championship clinching win over SMU.
      What makes this really neat was that Mary Elizabeth, who lives in the Metroplex, was able to be there to witness her record being broken. A passing of the torch, if you will...

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 3 photos.
      78-65

Comment

I for one will be quite disappointed if we can't get a crowd of at least 4,000 out to Koch Arena on Friday (regardless of whether or not the Shocks win on Wednesday) to support this team and this group of coaches and to honor this wonderful class of seniors. A great chance for Shocker Nation to show what they are really made of.

:poster_shocks:
        I think expecting 4,000 is a little ambitious for an early Friday afternoon game time. A lot of people are off but there's quite a few that do work also. Not to mention, it's in the middle of a long holiday weekend with the biggest shopping day of the year going on.

I would've liked to attend but that's not gonna be possible with such a strange game time.

I'll be happy to be wrong on this one.

Here's to hoping there will be more games at Koch this year.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I think expecting 4,000 is a little ambitious for an early Friday afternoon game time.
          Never said I expected 4,000. Just that I would be disappointed if we can't draw 4,000 for this Senior Day match. My expectations are that I will be disappointed. But won't be the first time or the last.

On the bright side, unlike Shocker men's basketball or Nebraska volleyball, Shocker volleyball tickets are inexpensive, plentiful and you will be able to get a great seat and it is a pretty good product the Shocks put on the court.

Comment

Shock take Set 1 in Memhis 25-18.

Memphis playing hard on their senior day and attacking the well hitting over 0.314 with only 2 errors in Set 1. Shocks, however, hit .485 with Mikaela and Abbie leading the way.

Memphis giving it their all is a good thing. Would not hurt if the Shocks have to work in these final two matches.

Shocks roll in Set 2 winning 25-10. Abbie took over at the net with her blocking midway through the set.

Memphis committed 10 attack errors in set 2.

Mikaela's hitting line is 13-0-19 = .684 and Abbie's line is 12-0-18 = .667. Abbie has 5 blocks.

Shocks only have 5 attack errors. 3 by Tabitha and 2 by Emily. Shocks hitting .475 for the match.

Shocks finish off the Tigers 25-15 in Set 3 to complete the sweep.

Shocks have won 26 consecutive sets tying a Wichita State program record.

Typical Shocker win. Feel out the opponent in Set 1. Make Adjustments. Pull away.

For thhe match the Shocks were 50-8-92 for 0.457 while Memphis was 31-18-103 = .126 as the Shocks had 9 blocks to only 1 for Memphis.

Abbie Lehman continues her consistent high level play finishing at 16-0-23 = .696 which is oustanding. Mikaela playing her best late in her senior season was 14-2-24 = .500. Tabitha came on in the 3rd set to finish 9-3-18 = 0.333.

Emily had 39 assists and just mised a double-double with 9 digs. Giorgia and Gabi tied for most digs with 12 each.

Shocks now 19-0 and go for the undefeated AAC season on Friday at Senior Day in Koch Arena.

:poster_shocks:
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 22, 2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Career records update:

Emily's WSU career best assists total is now 4,870. She also is now #1 in career average assists per set at 10.656.

Abbie extends her WSU career best in total blocks to 520. Abbie now has 1,340 career kills which puts her 22 kills behind the great Emily Stockman who is 4th in career kills at WSU.
              Abbie's career hitting line is 1,340 - 238 - 2,690 = 0.410. Setter Chelsey Feekin is currently the only Shocker with at least 400 career kills who finished her career with a hitting percentage over 0.400. Chelsey's career line was 465-95-858 = 0.431.

With 4 digs today Mikaela Raudsepp joins the 1,000 kills/500 digs club. Mikaela now has 1,059 kills and 502 digs. Her kill total is 34 shy of the Shocker Top 10 career kills list.

Comment

Mikaela playing her best late in her senior season
                It was rough for Mikaela early in the season but the coaches stuck with it and she stuck with it, and they have come up with some things that are giving her a very nice close to her career.

Comment

Illinois finished their regular season with an average attendance of 2524, falling behind Colorado State who has their last match on Saturday (Senior Day no doubt) and who currently have an average attendance of 2556. That is a little over 100 less than the Shocker average, so even an attendance of 2000 should keep us in the Top 10.

Comment

Nice articel by Taylor Eldridge on the Shockers' run through the AAC and the Shocker seniors. I assume this was long distance journalism becuase I think Taylor is in Maui covering the Shocker men's basketball team. So much better than the dribble put out byu the Eagle Staff the other day.

:encouragement:

I really like Taylor's reporting. However, just to be my picky self Emily's career assist total is 4,831 not the 4,821 he reported. I will give Taylor a pass on that and chalk it up to a missed the right key by a spot (which I do regularly) and perhaps lingering jet lag.
                    Drivel.

I kid because I care.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                      1972Shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      LOL. That to.

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                    Illinois finished their regular season with an average attendance of 2524, falling behind Colorado St ate who has their last match on Saturday (Senior Day no doubt) and who currently have an average attendance of 2556. That is a little over 100 less than the Shocker average, so even an attendance of 2000 should keep us in the Top 10.
                    It will be interesting to see what happens with attendance today. The Shockers' attendance at Sunday's midday games has been a bit lower than Friday evening matches averaging 2,149. I think the biggest impact of the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend is that fans are busy with other things and a good number may be traveling. How many are over in Hawaii for example. How many will be absorbed with Black Friday shopping. A few may have to work today.

We do have a great group of Seniors to honor today but the opponent is not particularly going to attract much interest.

OTOH, some fans may be looking to fill their time on the Holiday weekend. Perhaps Shocker men's basketball fans are looking for some Shocker positive to get their minds in a better state after the disappointment of the Notre Dame loss.

Usually, the only time Shocker fans have had Volleyball at home on Thanksgiving weekend was when the Shokcs hosted the Valley Tournament which did not happen much. Also, as far as I can tell their is not much media attention being paid to this match. Then, of course, we also had the last minute time change.

Hard to predict what kind of a attendance we will have today but there is a pretty good chance it will be below 2,000. Or it could be pretty good. I guess we will find out in a few hours.

Comment

Decent crowd. 2,500+ I think.

Comment

• flyingMoose
                        flyingMoose commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Boxscore says 3059. That brings the Shocker season average to 2700. Colorado State would need 5287+ tomorrow night to move into 10th place ahead of the Shocks.

The boxscore also says the Shockers won 3-0. Scores were -17, -14 and -11. After they cut down the errors (eight in the first set), it was a very workmanlike performance and never really in doubt.

Abbie 11-0-15 for .733
                      Emily 5-1-6 for .667
                      Brooke 5-1-15 for .267 She played the entire match.
                      Mikaela and Tabitha had 9 and 7 kills respectively, but both hit .167 on 30 and 18 swings.
                      Alex was 3-2-7 for .143 in the first set.
                      Chase was 6-1-18 for .278 in the second and third sets.

Both Jenny and Kara, lightly-played seniors, got in the second and third sets. Jenny had a dig but never got a swing. Kara had a block assist late in the third set as well as the match-ending kill.

Emily had back-to-back highlight digs in the same point in the third set.

Comment

• im4wsu
                        im4wsu commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Emily is taking after Rashard's back-to-back blocks??

A good crowd of 3,059 although the exodus of at leat half, maye 2/3rds, of the crowd before the Senior class celebration took place was a bit disappointing. It seemed to be an early arriving crowed so maybe it was just the free T-Shirts that drew a bunch of them to the match. Kudos to the special 1,000 or so who hung around to give a special senior class the acknowledgment they deserved.

BTW, the Shocks cruised to a 25-17, 25-14, 25-11 sweep of Memphis.

Congratulations to the Lady Shocks for completing and undefeated AAC Championship season. Quite a standard they have set.

The Shocks, after a slow start, ended up hitting .313 to .063 for Memphis.

Emily and Abbie were stellar in what might be their last match at Koch Arena. I guess we will find out Sunday evening.

Emily had 37 assists extending her career record total to 4,907. She probably needs 9 more sets (maybe 8) to reach 5,000. Emily had 5 kils and only 1 error on 6 attacks, 2 block assists and 6 digs several of which were of the spectacular variety and 2 of those on the same point.

Abbie was Abbie. 11 kills, 0 errors on 15 attacks for a 0.733 hitting percentage. She also had 4 block assist to extend her Shocker career best total blocks to 524. She has pulled to within 11 kills of moving past Emily Stockman into 4rth place on the Shocker career kills list. Abbie now has 1,351 kills in her career.

Mikaela wasn't quite as sharp today as she has been lately but with 9 kills and 8 digs she just missed a double-double. She now has 1,068 career kills and 510 career digs. She is 25 kills shy of the Shocker career Top 10 list.

Brooke Smith replaced Emma Wright in the middle today and was okay. She had 5 kills and 1 error on 15 attacks for a 0.267 hitting percentage.

Chase Jackson also replaced Alex Koon after the 1st set and played well. Chase was 6-1-18 for a .278 hitting percentage in her 2 sets.

All 7 seniors played at least a little today. And all received gracious acknolwedgment from the Shocker faithful who hung around for the Senior Class celebration.

It was really cool at the end of the match when seldom used Kara Maleski had a block assist with Mikaela to make the 3rd set score 23-10 (although Kara got all that block herself) and then ended the match with a kill two poiints later.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 24, 2017, 06:30 PM.

Comment

flyingMoose we must have very similar schedules.

Comment

Hmm. I wrote a comment - but didn't leave it? Maybe it will appear later.

I came back on to leave another "Emily note." Also in the third set and late, the Shocks were out of system. Emily dashed out to the right, ready for a set, but whoever went the other direction. About the time they did so, one of the coaches hollered, "Emily!" Too late. And too bad, because I would have loved to see her smoke it. It would have been a great cap to Senior Day.

Comment

Working...
                          X