'08 offers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '08 offers

Since we had two commitments since these offers were reported, it is possible that some or all of them have been withdrawn.

Chase Harper 6-6 PF (TX) Questionable if there was an offer and very questionable if offer stands.

Brandon Davis 6-9 PF (VA) Offer reported by Shockernet poster. According to poster, favorites are WSU and two unknown schools.

Michael Watts 6-9 SF (AZ) Seems to have eyes only for Cornell. Info on WSU's offer is somewhat questionable.

Antquawn Beckham 6-4 CG (NH) WSU among five schools that have offerred. Might wait until Spring to sign.

Commits:

Toure Murry 6-3 CG (TX)
    Clevin Hannah 6-0 PG JUCO (FL)
    Garrett Stutz 7-0 C (MO)
    David Kyles 6-3 CG (TX)

We are currently one over the scholarship limit.

last edit 11-28
    In the fast lane

Just to refresh my memory, how many schollies do we currently have for '08? (Assuming we save the last scholly this year)
    Jocks & Jills
    3236 N. Rock Rd
    Wichita, KS 67226
    316-260-9800
    http://www.jocks-jills.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jocksandjills

Comment

That's assuming we have a schollie to save this year....

We'll have 3 schollies open up from Cooz, Matt and Phil. We may or may not have a 4th from Butler.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Virtually all guards. No way do we sign 3 backcourt players in the same year. Perhaps we are taking two from this group and another skollie is going back to Nigeria? Maybe?

Comment

Evidently, a school can make more offers than scollies they will have open???
          I was wondering about that. What happens if they start filling up, first come, first serve???

Comment

Offers are conditional. They can be pulled at any point. If someone accepts one and there is no longer a need for a player at that position then you let the others know. Pretty sure they normally know that whoever commits first gets it. There are some exceptions to that though.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Thanks for doing this.

There are lots of names that appear on the recruiting page, but we have not offered all of them (obviously).

Having this list is a big help.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                Offers are conditional. They can be pulled at any point. If someone accepts one and there is no longer a need for a player at that position then you let the others know. Pretty sure they normally know that whoever commits first gets it. There are some exceptions to that though.
                You should see football recruiting. It's not uncommon for a school to have more than double the number of scholarships they have open in offers.
                Jocks & Jills
                3236 N. Rock Rd
                Wichita, KS 67226
                316-260-9800
                http://www.jocks-jills.com
                http://www.myspace.com/jocksandjills

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                  I've always thought that having more offers out than schollies available was designed to be part of the strategy to get kids to accept quicker. For example, if a kid knows that a school only has three openings, but has offered those openings to 6 different kids, he may be more likely to make a decision to accept earlier to make sure that someone else doesn't take all of the scholarships.

Additionally, if the number of offers made was exactly equal to the number of openings, a school could be in trouble if the offerees all accepted offers from other schools.

SG is right. Offers are non-binding until an LOI is signed. Offers are frequently pulled by schools for many reasons, including there is no longer a need for that position or because all of the scholarships have been accepted by other recruits. It is pretty rare for offer that has been accepted by a recruit (a/k/a "verballed") to be withdrawn by the offering school. Unfortunately, as WSu fans are aware, its not as rare (and is even becoming more common :-x ) for kids to back out of their "verbals".

Comment

Do you guys have any commits yet for 2008?

Comment

I believe Duke is one of very few programs that offer only to a very select group of kids, with the intention that most will accept the offer.

From DeCourcy a few days ago...

Like or hate Duke, I believe they're one of only a few programs that could get away with this type of recruiting. Even almighty KU offers more kids than they have scholarships available.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum
                        No, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                          Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum
                          No, do you?
                          We have commits from a pair of Omaha guards, Antione Young (verballed as a Soph. in HS) and Josh Jones (who I believe WSu also pursued for a while). CU has one open scholarship for 2008 and I'd be shocked if a big doesn't round out the class.

Comment

We were involved with Jones. Pretty involved at one point I believe.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I've updated the listing. On the original post I left Graham off. Harper also added.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

Working...
                              X