Evan Ravenel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan Ravenel

Stay up to date with all the college basketball recruiting news and more at 247Sports.com

A burley 6-7 PF playing with Tampa FastBreak at the Triple S Shootout in Morgantown, West VA. Scout describes him as a workhorse type of player with a motor. List of schools include Northeastern (offer), WSU, Tulane, Florida Atlantic, Dequesne, Tennessee Tech and South Florida.
    In the fast lane

Based on this kid's location, would it be fair to assume that Marshall has started recruiting him while at Winthrop? If so, it certainly increases the likelihood of success.

Comment

We are definitely recruiting the South. We are not aware of Marshall being in contact with any of them while at Winthrop, but it certainly is possible.
      In the fast lane

Comment

And I'm glad we're in the south now. There is A LOT of talent down there. If we can get into the Atlanta area along with staying connected in TX I'll be a happy Shocker fan.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
          And I'm glad we're in the south now. There is A LOT of talent down there.
          Agreed. :good:

Seriously though, do you think it will be difficult to recruit southern kids to the midwest? [For the record, I don't count Texas as strictly "southern" as it seems pretty midwestern as well.] I'm not trying to start anything here, I'm just curious what you guys think. I know its been hard historically for midwestern schools and MVC schools in particular to bring in many kids from outside of the greater midwest. It happens on occasion, but generally speaking, it still seems to be a rarity.

Comment

We got commitments from two East Coast players when Spin was at WSU. He was connected to that area. Marshall and coach Grant are connected to the Southlands and Marshall became a well known coach while at Winthrop. I think they will be successful in establishing the South as one of our recruiting areas.
            In the fast lane

Comment

I don't think it'll be easy. But as Trop said, Marshall and Grant have established many connections down there and can appeal to those who have grown up and lived there. I don't think there's really that big of a difference between much of the south and the midwest really. I'm no expert but from my experiences that's the case. Also, as the MVC continues to get more national recognition and schools like WSU, CU, SIU and the rest get better and compete more on a national level and in the Dance we'll be more appealing to some of these kids. If he can get these kids to go to Winthrop, which is a good school and had a good rep after he'd been there, I believe he can get them to come to a higher profile conference and team where these kids will get more TV time and all that comes with it.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Get set up with a new domain name right away. Affordable payment plans to fit any budget. Friendly customer support.

His high school listed him at 6-8, 260 lbs. last year. His coach at Brandon thinks he is the best and biggest big man they have had, "great shot, excellent footwork." He also has been described as swift for his size with the ability to handle the ball.
                In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                  I don't think it'll be easy. But as Trop said, Marshall and Grant have established many connections down there and can appeal to those who have grown up and lived there. I don't think there's really that big of a difference between much of the south and the midwest really. I'm no expert but from my experiences that's the case. Also, as the MVC continues to get more national recognition and schools like WSU, CU, SIU and the rest get better and compete more on a national level and in the Dance we'll be more appealing to some of these kids. If he can get these kids to go to Winthrop, which is a good school and had a good rep after he'd been there, I believe he can get them to come to a higher profile conference and team where these kids will get more TV time and all that comes with it.
                  Thus the next few years tourneys that WSU is scheduled in. That will help out quite a bit, especially the Orlando and Maui ones. When you can show a kid that they're gonna get to play 3 games in a tourney on the ESPN networks, they like things like that. Of course, the bigger name programs get that all the time, so who knows.

Comment

The article says we, along with many others have now offered. Top three are WSU, Virginia Tech and Penn State. As a junior, averaged 7.8 points and 5.3 rebounds. He wants to sign in November.
                    In the fast lane

Comment

Not very good stats for a guy 6-8 and 250 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by wushock
                        Not very good stats for a guy 6-8 and 250 lbs.
                        But what kind of players are on his team? That can effect things too. Especially if there is another big guy that is getting attention too.

Comment

I've seen Burger Boys that have poor HS stats because of thier teammates. I've also seen guys put up great HS numbers and barely make it in NAIA. I don't know what circumstances surround this kid but I'm not going to judge any recruit based off of numbers only. Good or bad.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Will visit WSU on September 15th. Will also visit Tulane and Va. Tech. Scout has him a 3 star

Comment

Tulane on 9/8 and VT on 9/29
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X