Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jaime Echenique 6'11 C 2018 JUCO a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaime closed out the regular season with 14 pts, 8 boards and 3 blocks in a road win over Kilgore.
    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• wichshock65
      wichshock65 commented
      Editing a comment
      Why are you bringing up this Jaime guy in a Shaq thread?

I kid, I kid

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I mean that I don’t believe he will be so good that he will play 15-20 mpg. I’m thinking none of the 5s play > 15 mpg.
    SM averaged 15.6 minutes per game his sophomore year which influenced me to make that statement regards AM. IMO for AM to not average 15 minutes will be the result of HC3G playing a lineup without a center - not due to Marshall playing a rotation of four different players at the 5 position.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
      Off topic from Echenique, but I just can't let this go...

I think you're way off base, 1976, in saying that Shaq isn't a player of consequence in Shocker annals. You can certainly argue that it took him too long to get there, and that's a fair criticism -- but he is definitely a guy worthy of mention in Shocker history. I guess it's a question of what "of consequence" means, but a year of all-conference play in the best conference the Shocks have played in since the old Valley started deteriorating qualifies in my book.
      I could be "off base" but IMO SM has not earned a "place of prominence" as a Shocker Center -as this season (his 5th year) he is finally contributing at a level he should have been playing in previous seasons.

When I walk down memory lane of the Annals of Shocker Basketball Centers I think about Gene Wiley, Nate Bowman, Robert Elmore and Terry Benton.

Comment

• Paul Miller scored 1300 points and grabbed a little over 700 rebounds.

Shaqs numbers are similar and his blocked shots blow Paul’s away.

Shaq has played on far superior teams to what Paul played on for most of Paul’s career. More balance, future NBA players, etc.

Yet Paul, and deservedly so, is considered to best center we’ve had since the Elmore days with Garrett running second.

This isn’t even a debate. Shaq belongs in that class.

Now your reasoning on AM playing more than his share of minutes at least has some merit to it.....

Comment

• I would put Cliff after Elmore and perhaps Radunovich. Their statistics may have been better than Shaq over 3-4 years. However, they were often the focal point. Gregg has rarely had players who scored a lot and his teams are always extremely balanced. Shaq has been a part of a balanced attack. For one year, he ranks with the best Centers in Shocker history. To his credit, he has matured in a tough program and has surprised me.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
            Paul Miller scored 1300 points and grabbed a little over 700 rebounds.

Shaqs numbers are similar and his blocked shots blow Paul’s away.

Shaq has played on far superior teams to what Paul played on for most of Paul’s career. More balance, future NBA players, etc.

Yet Paul, and deservedly so, is considered to best center we’ve had since the Elmore days with Garrett running second.

This isn’t even a debate. Shaq belongs in that class.

Now your reasoning on AM playing more than his share of minutes at least has some merit to it.....
            Back on topic "JE that is" - thanks for your "qualified acknowledgement that my reasoning about why JE's minutes will be limited to <10 minutes per game has "some merit"; please note that said reasoning has not been effectively refuted by any posters on this board. When next season starts JE will be the least experienced center on the Shocker roster. Difficult to rationalize that JE will be the starter at any point during the season, which translates into limited court time for him given the other roster players competing for court time.

Apologies to the board for diverting conversation away from JE; but I too can not let shoxlax comments pass without comment:

I am an old Shocker fan who began following Shocker basketball in late 1950"s - I attended WSU 1966-70 and 1974-76; thus I had the privilege of observing Gene Wiley Nate Bowman, Terry Benton and Robert Elmore play in Henry Levitt Arena. IMO their stature as a Shocker Mens Basketball Center warrant recognition as prominent.

Regards Paul Miller - I have no knowledge of his career as I lived outside the United States during his career (2001-2006) - so I never saw or heard a game in which he played. I am aware that Bob Lutz ranked Miller #17 in his listing of the Top 100 Shockers. IMO Millers career stats (13.1 pts; 6.6 rebounds; and MVC POY 2005-06) do not justify ranking him ahead of Gene Wiley ( greatest defensive player ever for the Shockers who recorded 80 blocks in one season and 15 in a game against Purdue) and Nate Bowman (abbreviated career with nearly 800 points and 600 rebounds) who played in the MVC when it was acknowledged nationally as the "Valley of Death"; or Terry Benton (13.2 points and 12.7 points) and Robert Elmore (14.1 points and 12.4 rebounds) who played against much tougher schools than the MVC ilk against which Miller (and Morris for that matter) accumulated their career stats. In conclusion, lump Shaq with Miller if you think that is justified as I have no opinion on that matter. But IMO SM has no place in a discussion with Wiley, Bowman, Benton and Elmore.

Comment

• Cdizzle
              Cdizzle commented
              Editing a comment
              The mid-2000s MVC had a lot of good teams.

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Back on topic "JE that is" - thanks for your "qualified acknowledgement that my reasoning about why JE's minutes will be limited to <10 minutes per game has "some merit"; please note that said reasoning has not been effectively refuted by any posters on this board. When next season starts JE will be the least experienced center on the Shocker roster. Difficult to rationalize that JE will be the starter at any point during the season, which translates into limited court time for him given the other roster players competing for court time.
            Wait, what? Are you claiming some kind of argument victory about a future prediction? I think it’s fairly easily contested that Jamie is the least experienced recruit. He does have 2 years of JUCO experience, which isn’t exactly nothing when compared to high school and prep. Jamie, may or may not start. He may or may not play > 10 mpg. What is known is that there will be three scholarship players that have zero D-I minutes competing for a starting 5 with a sophomore center that played ~ 50 minutes on the season.
            Last edited by wufan; March 5, 2018, 12:34 PM.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Well said wufan. The beauty of fan boards is that we are the experts at conjecture and securing the truth about the future.

I am the least sharpest tool in this box, but what I have observed about Gregg's teams is that the most productive players in the moment will get the time. If JE is defending, rebounding, protecting the rim, screening and scoring the easy points he will find the floor. If not, learn where SHJ has been sitting.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
                Well said wufan. The beauty of fan boards is that we are the experts at conjecture and securing the truth about the future.

I am the least sharpest tool in this box, but what I have observed about Gregg's teams is that the most productive players in the moment will get the time. If JE is defending, rebounding, protecting the rim, screening and scoring the easy points he will find the floor. If not, learn where SHJ has been sitting.
                Not sure 3G will have the same luxury with our big guys as he did with SHJ. We have Landry, Conner and Austin all capable of playing the 1 of the 2 in front of SHJ. SHJ was given plenty of opportunity to show he was worthy but simple could not get that done. In fact, it is arguable that he may have fallen behind CJ and even Kaelen on the guard depth charts in terms of who 3G feels he can trust.

Next year Asbjorn, Jaime, Isaiah and Morris will be pretty much all in the same boat as SMJ. But 3G doesn't have any fall back position he can rely on. These guys may all prove to up to the task but it is much more likely that next year the Shockers will have its challenges inside. But I'm hoping for the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Not sure 3G will have the same luxury with our big guys as he did with SHJ. We have Landry, Conner and Austin all capable of playing the 1 of the 2 in front of SHJ. SHJ was given plenty of opportunity to show he was worthy but simple could not get that done. In fact, it is arguable that he may have fallen behind CJ and even Kaelen on the guard depth charts in terms of who 3G feels he can trust.

Next year Asbjorn, Jaime, Isaiah and Morris will be pretty much all in the same boat as SMJ. But 3G doesn't have any fall back position he can rely on. These guys may all prove to up to the task but it is much more likely that next year the Shockers will have its challenges inside. But I'm hoping for the best.
                  What he will do to help their success is by defining it in a looser way or dumbing it down. He will tell them that if they want to play, they have to rebound and play defense. He will make it competitive and the best 3 will play the most minutes. He will tell them to defend and scoring is the cherry on top but not expected. They have enough talent and he will create competitiveness that by the end of the year, they will be effective for freshmen.

Comment

• JE playing in the second round of the Region XIV tournament and getting a test from Kilgore.

Livestreamed at https://livestream.com/jacksonvillecollege/bbtournament

Trailing 45-43 with 12 minutes left
                    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• What number does he wear? Their roster doesn't even list him.
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• He's #21. Aaaaaaaaand he's about to become a Shocker. They're down 16 with 2:16 left. Totally went away from the inside game. Just jacking up threes.

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                          ShockdaWorld commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Isn’t that pretty much what Juco is all about?

• Turns out TVCC is not quite dead yet. NJCAA Tournament takes four at-large selections. With a No. 5 ranking, they've got a (long) shot, provided the rest of the top teams win their regions.

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• There are actually 8 at-large bids, and Trinity Valley just got one of them.

Comment

Working...
                          X