No announcement yet.

Neftali Alvarez 6'1 PG 2018 to Mercer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well if that is his final list, it wouldn’t have been an upgrade for us at this time to use a scholarship on. He may transfer up in a year or two. Those who really believed that we were very seriously considering him a Top Tier scholarship contender may feel let down. I think we were looking at a safety net situation and perhaps early to the party for a steal that never materialized
    Last edited by Shockm; May 15, 2018, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• N Crestway
      N Crestway commented
      Editing a comment
      Remember Marshall's remark towards the end of the season about another 6'1" guard being a "little guy", Connor Frankamp. Sent a message to me that Marshall was looking for more length and athleticism to compete in the AAC.

• Comment

• Wow. Fairfield??? The MAAC??? Interesting choice for what many thought was a highly rated player. Well...good for him. That's a quality education for the young man. Refreshing to see a player of his caliber choose education.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        could be that he got more buzz here than deserved

• Topshock
        Topshock commented
        Editing a comment
        For education he obviously should have chosen Butler.

• Hope they got a good ESL program.

Comment

• We cooled on him. (Obligatory)

Wait...Fairfield? Are they D1? Never heard of them.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        We cooled on him. (Obligatory)

Wait...Fairfield? Are they D1? Never heard of them.
        t
        Fairfield is usually adjacent to Holiday Inn Express

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• WSUwatcher
          WSUwatcher commented
          Editing a comment
          More likely Courtyard or Towne Place or even Residence Inn; Fairfield is a Marriott property. Wait -- I thought the Marriotts were involved with BYU. This is getting very confusing.

Seriously, good luck to Alvarez. If you look at the guys WSU ended up signing this year, he'd have been an outlier. The only one his size or smaller was the one who got away, Lomax; and the book on Lomax was that, as with FVV, size didn't matter. But players like that are rare, and although Alvarez might become one, the combination of size, small school background without a prep year, and the availability of Ricky Torres (who's distinctly bigger and at almost a whole different stage of life) probably made him a candidate for Sunrise next year more than WSU.

At Fairfield, Alvarez is still on the East Coast, albeit a long way north, and he doesn't have to wait.

• Jeff *******Verified account@GoodmanHoops

Fairfield freshman guard Neftali Alvarez is transfer portalling, source told @stadium. Alvarez averaged 11.5 points this past season.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
          Jeff *******Verified account@GoodmanHoops

Fairfield freshman guard Neftali Alvarez is transfer portalling, source told @stadium. Alvarez averaged 11.5 points this past season.

Translate to lay terms please. D1 Farfield? I'm confused.

Comment

• pinstripers
            pinstripers commented
            Editing a comment
            Fairfield is D-1 if that's what you are confused about

• choida
            choida commented
            Editing a comment
            Definitely not the Hotel

• We were very close to signing him. Fairfield is D-I. 11.5 ppg, 3.7 rebs, 3.3 app, 3 tos, 27% from 3. Horrible 3p%, but way better than our to be senior point.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• choida
            choida commented
            Editing a comment
            That's makes me sad

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
          We were very close to signing him. Fairfield is D-I. 11.5 ppg, 3.7 rebs, 3.3 app, 3 tos, 27% from 3. Horrible 3p%, but way better than our to be senior point.
          Oh yeah, this is the kid from Miami that had unreal numbers in high school that we put on the back burner for Lomax. I had him confused with Fernandez. Good numbers for a Frosh.

Probably too little too late for the Shocks with this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Oh yeah, this is the kid from Miami that had unreal numbers in high school that we put on the back burner for Lomax. I had him confused with Fernandez. Good numbers for a Frosh.

Probably too little too late for the Shocks with this one.
            Yea, i don't see room for him anymore. I could see it for sherfield, but i think we this would be a pass especially since he would have to sit a year.

Comment

• choida
              choida commented
              Editing a comment
              This thread is not going to go anywhere... But it's the off-season so I understand

• I heard he’s going to walk on. Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
              We were very close to signing him. Fairfield is D-I. 11.5 ppg, 3.7 rebs, 3.3 app, 3 tos, 27% from 3. Horrible 3p%, but way better than our to be senior point.
              Let's be a little more clear regarding Alvarez. Regardless of what one may think about his "stats", comparing them to our players stats is just not fair. While Fairfield had a young team, they were not near as young as ours. Also, their SOS was only 278 and their conference 29th out of 32.

Comment

• Wasn’t trying to insinuate any thing specific by posting his stats.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had posted his stats on the 18-19 Transfers thread several hours before you did here, so it's not the stats I was referring to. It was the reference to our senior-to-be PG (our backup to be more exact) and his 3pt shooting. We have no idea how RT would have shot the 3 at Fairfield against the level of competition they faced. What we do know is that he played about 60% the minutes Alvarez did, yet had almost the same number of assists with about 1/3 the turnovers and shot inside the arc at .532 compared to Alvarez .484 against much better competition and less experience around him. I wonder if HCGM would have pulled Burton to put in Alvarez to make the last second pass to DD for the win on the road against Tulane which had a huge impact on the Shock's future this season? Just asking for a friend.

• In case you're curious how Fairfield fans responded to this loss.....http://fairfieldstags.proboards.com/...varez-transfer
                Some are bummed, some think he was not that good.

Comment

• pinstripers
                  pinstripers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  pretty much what would happen here regardless of who left
              Working...
              X